Strategic Voting - It needs to be done

marcus

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's statistically incorrect. There is always the perceived division of "left", "right" and "middle" so once the "left" joined you would see likely a 50/50 split or so.

edit -> mostly because those on the "left" see the Liberals as the "right"

Edited by Hydraboss

Since advance voting starts Oct 9th-12th, many people will go out and vote and this would make sure that no problems pop up and if so they still have a short time to correct them before Oct 19th.

What problems? We have everything well under control.

That's statistically incorrect. There is always the perceived division of "left", "right" and "middle" so once the "left" joined you would see likely a 50/50 split or so.

No doubt you are correct, just having a little fun with AP. :)

No more so than most of those on the right who see the Liberals as the left.

I've heard about this initiative, kudos to the team who put this up. It is time to reclaim Canada, and it starts with Harper's departure. I'm hoping we get rid of the authoritarian, undemocratic rule of this man. Strategic voting is our best chance. Don't worry about anyone running it down. These people fear voters may just vote smartly this time around.

Also hoping once either of the two opposition parties come into power, they'd keep their promise and scrap the outdated first past the post system and introduce proportional representation or some other fairer system that takes into account "true majority", the population who did not vote for ruling party.

It sounds like me some people prefer a system that does not allow conservatives to win.

Much as I am sure there are many Conservatives who would love it if Liberals never won.

And strategic voting is bad for democracy.

It may be bad for the Tories, but it is simply democracy in action. No one owes you an explanation, or is required to share your devotion. Ask yourself why the Tories are now so unpopular that there may actually be an Anybody But Harper effect going on.

I could never understand how the left would destroy the best country in the world , just so the conservatives cant rule.

And now suddenly not voting Conservative is destroying the country

That is very stupid and I would be ashamed to be involved with that sort of trickery.

There's no trickery. They don't want the Conservatives in power, and they don't want them to march up vote splits in three way tie ridings. They have absolutely every right to do it, and they don't owe you an apology or explanation.

Edited by ToadBrother

I've heard about this initiative, kudos to the team who put this up. It is time to reclaim Canada, and it starts with Harper's departure. I'm hoping we get rid of the authoritarian, undemocratic rule of this man. Strategic voting is our best chance. Don't worry about anyone running it down. These people fear voters may just vote smartly this time around.

Also hoping once either of the two opposition parties come into power, they'd keep their promise and scrap the outdated first past the post system and introduce proportional representation or some other fairer system that takes into account "true majority", the population who did not vote for ruling party.

How is he undemocratic? He was elected to a majority govt. the people elected the tories to run the country for 4 years. Boo hoo the opposition got left out in the cold. The same worked for 13 years when the liberals were in power and will happen when the liberals eventually return to power.

The system allowed the liberals to win plenty of majorities and the ndp to take alberta. Sounds like a lit of sour grapes to me.

Are you trying to infer strategic voting is somehow a form of corruption?

And isn't your gloating a wee but premature? How long do you think a Tory minority of 130-140 seats is going to last?

I think it takes away from the democratic process, it is a loop hole that only a party in trouble would use....do you think it keeps with the original intent of our voting system...

while my gloating is premature, you can't say that there is not major concern from the opposition parties that they are in trouble......How long do i think a minority government will last.....not long, for any minority government .....but their may be some good news, it may have the party look at changing the leadership up....maybe Harper will step down....for whom not sure....

I think it takes away from the democratic process, it is a loop hole that only a party in trouble would use....do you think it keeps with the original intent of our voting system...

A loop hole? How is a voter basing his vote on what he perceives as the best way to defeat a government a loop hole? IT's simply the democratic process. Period.

Want voters to pick who they most want IN government, get an electoral system that favors that. FPTP indeed forces voters to vote against a government, rather than some higher set of electoral ideals.

while my gloating is premature, you can't say that there is not major concern from the opposition parties that they are in trouble......How long do i think a minority government will last.....not long, for any minority government .....but their may be some good news, it may have the party look at changing the leadership up....maybe Harper will step down....for whom not sure....

I think a minority Liberal government with NDP support will probably last at least a year or two, maybe longer. The Tories went for this long campaign because they thought it would bankrupt the opposition, and I'm sure the Liberals' and NDP's war chests are pretty low, so they have every reason to try to keep the next Parliament going as long as possible.

You can thank Stephen Harper for that.

And there's no reason a Liberal minority supported by the NDP couldn't go the distance.

If the Liberals form the government, I don't see how they have much choice. They're likely to be pretty broke, and certainly won't want to go to the polls until they're up to strength again.

The Tories may have inadvertently created a stable coalition simply by trying to be too clever by half.

It may be bad for the Tories, but it is simply democracy in action. No one owes you an explanation, or is required to share your devotion. Ask yourself why the Tories are now so unpopular that there may actually be an Anybody But Harper effect going on.

If the majority of Canadians felt that way, why are the polling charts continually show the cons tied with the libs, and NDP dropping faster than a japanese bullet train.....If as it is quoted here somewhere, that 70 % of canadians want harper out.....then the other parties would have a clear advantage in the polling charts....instead they don't and now they are forced to come up with loop holes in the voting system, as a last desperate act.....

Good luck with that....and remember you may not like the outcome....the Libs and NDP are miles apart when it comes to platforms, and we'll be stuck with a coalition, or a party we don't want and a platform we don't want.....for 4 years.....but hey it does not matter harper will be gone....about you just vote for the party that suits your needs best.....i know it's a novel concept...

If the majority of Canadians felt that way, why are the polling charts continually show the cons tied with the libs, and NDP dropping faster than a japanese bullet train.....If as it is quoted here somewhere, that 70 % of canadians want harper out.....then the other parties would have a clear advantage in the polling charts....instead they don't and now they are forced to come up with loop holes in the voting system, as a last desperate act.....

Is this the pretence troops will be told when you're called upon to march on Parliament, stop the coup and arrest the terrorists who've hijacked Canada's democracy? Are you expecting citizens to throw rose petals in your path as you carry Harper in on his litter?

A loop hole? How is a voter basing his vote on what he perceives as the best way to defeat a government a loop hole? IT's simply the democratic process. Period.

Want voters to pick who they most want IN government, get an electoral system that favors that. FPTP indeed forces voters to vote against a government, rather than some higher set of electoral ideals.

I think a minority Liberal government with NDP support will probably last at least a year or two, maybe longer. The Tories went for this long campaign because they thought it would bankrupt the opposition, and I'm sure the Liberals' and NDP's war chests are pretty low, so they have every reason to try to keep the next Parliament going as long as possible.

You can thank Stephen Harper for that.

The democratic process was set up not to defeat a government currently in power with the assumption that ANYONE is better than that guy.... but for Canadian citizens to vote for the candidate who's platform suits his or hers needs or the countries needs best..... Not to organize a movement that will undermine the process....it is my opinion that this move contradicts your statement that 70 % of Canadians want harper out.....and yet thats not what the advanced polling charts are showing.....

Your not happy with the current voting system, i get that neither am i, but none of the current parties have that on their platform.....why because it seems it is not an issue....

I think your putting to much faith into a lib or NDP coalition, both platforms are miles apart, they have both said they would not work well together....i think any minority government will fall, and we will be back at the polling stations before to long.....and we will continue to do so until platforms change or leadership changes.....And like you said the war chests are looking pretty slim.....and the tories know that.....

The 16 ridings that can defeat Harper

These ridings are uniquely important because:

• Conservatives have a defeatable lead (less than 6% on average).
  • The progressive parties are in 2nd and 3rd places.
  • The party in 2nd-place is significantly ahead of the one in 3rd (19% lead on average)! Therefore, even when factoring in the most extreme polling errors, it is all but guaranteed that the party in 3rd-place is not going to win.
  • Finally, the party in 3rd-place has a sizeable number of votes (18% on average) that can meaningfully impact the election result.

1*vadElvT5kAdd-sIDPCo3PA.png

Let’s take action!

First and foremost, we must encourage the Liberals and the NDP to cooperate in the 16 ridings. Calls, emails, and social media campaigns directed at the leaders of the progressive parties are the best ways to advocate their cooperation:

A petition asking party leaders to cooperate has already garnered over 8,500 signatures.

Ridings to Vote for the Liberal Party

These are the ridings where the NDP supporters must vote for the Liberal Party candidate:

Ridings to Vote for the NDP

These are the ridings where the Liberal Party supporters must vote for the NDP candidate:

It is a great list marcus but in MY view, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT in those ridings where there is a tight race between Liberals and NDP should be included too in the chart and your post and in those ridings I believe strongly that NDP supporters should strategically vote for the Liberals because it is the Liberals who only have a chance to defeat the conservatives now and those few seats MAY MAKE A DIFFERENCE between a Tory minority and a Liberal minority governments.

In ridings where there is a tight race between the Liberals and NDP (and there are plenty) if the NDP supporters vote for NDP and refuse to strategically vote for Liberals in effect they may very likely cause the election of a conservatives by vote split and by their votes for NDP. In other words they are effectively voting for the conservatives and will help to elect a conservative government if they stick to their votes for NDP. They should vote for Liberals who appear to be a few seats short of forming the next government unlike NDP who stands no chance.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015