Strategic Voting - It needs to be done

marcus

Ah, and now it's down to the NO True Scotsman fallacy.

No, it's down to facts. He hasn't been a genius, but he's managed the economy pretty well. He hasn't scared the trembling lefties by introducing anti-gay, anti-abortion, or death penalty stuff. He's been moderate in social terms, and his income tax reforms have largely benefited the poor and middle class.

So again, on substantial issues, he's been fine. HOW he's governed has gotten people's backs up, but that's a style matter.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No honest person can say Harper has damaged the country in any way. This government's problem is largely a lack of style, and not so much a lack of substance.

He has damaged it in may ways. Just look at the tarnish on our reputation regarding immigration. Look at how frosty our relationship is with our largest trading partner. He actually stooped so low as to get himself found in contempt of the very parliament he represents. The list goes on.

No, it's down to facts. He hasn't been a genius, but he's managed the economy pretty well. He hasn't scared the trembling lefties by introducing anti-gay, anti-abortion, or death penalty stuff. He's been moderate in social terms, and his income tax reforms have largely benefited the poor and middle class.

So again, on substantial issues, he's been fine. HOW he's governed has gotten people's backs up, but that's a style matter.

He's concentrated power in the PMO to a level this country has never before seen. Most cabinet ministers are little more than placeholders, while Harper and his staffers seize files and powers. For that alone, Harper needs to go.

I'm a fiscal conservative, probably not that different than you on issues like taxation (though I'm not nearly as doctrinaire), but I love our system of government, and view the desolation of the caucus and cabinet as an attack on the very core of our governing system.

Our housing market is a mess and it's because of Harper's (lack of) policies and a lot of our GDP now depends on the housing market so nothing will get done about it. He put all his eggs into the fossil-fuel basket and now that oil prices came down we were hit hard. He muzzled scientists, he showed he doesn't care about the environment. He created a two-tier citizenship and now he is making it out like we're doomed as a nation if a Pakistani woman wears a niqab for her citizenship ceremony.

He has been anything but fine.

Our housing market is a mess and it's because of Harper's (lack of) policies and a lot of our GDP now depends on the housing market so nothing will get done about it. He put all his eggs into the fossil-fuel basket and now that oil prices came down we were hit hard. He muzzled scientists, he showed he doesn't care about the environment. He created a two-tier citizenship and now he is making it out like we're doomed as a nation if a Pakistani woman wears a niqab for her citizenship ceremony.

He has been anything but fine.

Put all his bags in one basket? PUHLEASE. Nothing more than a NDP campaign line. Oil and gas comprises what, 10% or so of GDP.

Mulcair and his stupidity again.

Edited by angrypenguin

Do the left not read facts? Are facts invisible to them? Canada has the number one economy since recession. Most jobs created since recession. Number one most respected. Our housing market is booming. Signing an historical trade agreement with our largest traders doesn't seem frosty.

And Alberta would be in a mess no matter who won?

Uh, capital F no. Raising corporate taxes and reviewing royalties essentially put an end to anyone wanting to do business in Alberta.

Nobody but an NDP would have instituted these measures, especially when commodity prices are down. doh!!

Edited by drummindiver

Do the left not read facts? Are facts invisible to them? Canada has the number one economy. Number one most respected. Our housing market is booming. Signing an historical trade agreement with our largest traders doesn't seem frosty.

Uh, capital F no. Raising corporate taxes and reviewing royalties essentially put an end to anyone wanting to do business in Alberta.

Nobody but an NDP would have instituted these measures, especially when commodity prices are down. doh!!

The BC Liberals raised corporate taxes in 2009 after the financial meltdown, and the world did not end.

But that's not really the issue here. Whether you agree with some voters views on who should win the election, the issue is whether, your belief in the Tories greatness notwithstanding, they have the right to vote for the candidate most likely to defeat the Tory candidate in their riding.

I like to think I'm voting for a party rather than against one I don't support.I don't care what the polls say,I will cast my vote for the party I believe will be best suited to lead this country.My vote will not be based on mindless hatred against one party leader or celebrity status of another.

Do the left not read facts? Are facts invisible to them? Canada has the number one economy since recession. Most jobs created since recession. Number one most respected. Our housing market is booming. Signing an historical trade agreement with our largest traders doesn't seem frosty.

Number one economy among who? Certainly not the G7.

I like to think I'm voting for a party rather than against one I don't support.I don't care what the polls say,I will cast my vote for the party I believe will be best suited to lead this country.My vote will not be based on mindless hatred against one party leader or celebrity status of another.

And that is your right, just as someone voting in such a fashion as to maximize the likelihood that a specific party will not win in their riding is their right.

Do the left not read facts? Are facts invisible to them? Canada has the number one economy since recession. Most jobs created since recession. Number one most respected. Our housing market is booming.

Links?

Based on everything I've looked up in the last 5 minutes I have no choice but to call cow dung.

Edited by Smeelious

No honest person can say Harper has damaged the country in any way. This government's problem is largely a lack of style, and not so much a lack of substance.

Hahahahahahahaha :D :D :D

Yeah, that's Harper's problem.

He lacks style. And integrity. And honesty. And empathy. And humility. And cooperativeness. And judgement. And foresight.

I laugh when I read the Conservatives calling strategic voting immoral. Like them gaming the system to have all the power with 39% of the vote is beyond reproach.

Nothing to do with gaming the system, that's they way our system works. There is no way of preventing it as long as we have more than two parties.

We had an election in BC where the loser had slightly more votes than the winner.

Edited by Wilber

I laugh when I read the Conservatives calling strategic voting immoral. Like them gaming the system to have all the power with 39% of the vote is beyond reproach.

Yea, just like all of the other times that other parties with other leaders have won under similar circumstances, this is a great country, our voting system has served us well, some of you may feel disenfranchised, but thats normal, it's life. i felt the same 20 years ago, i worked my way out of it, i was very liberal 20 years ago, i grew out of it, there is no shortage of opportunity for anyone in this country, the electoral system isn't keeping you down.

He has damaged it in may ways. Just look at the tarnish on our reputation regarding immigration.

I would if it weren't just a figment of your imagination.

Look at how frosty our relationship is with our largest trading partner.

EVERYONE has a frosty relationship with Obama! And hasn't hurt us that I can see.

He actually stooped so low as to get himself found in contempt of the very parliament he represents. The list goes on.

So the best you can come up with is an imaginary reputation damage, Obama not loving us, and that the other two parties voted them in contempt?

How exactly has that hurt me or the country?

He's concentrated power in the PMO to a level this country has never before seen. Most cabinet ministers are little more than placeholders, while Harper and his staffers seize files and powers. For that alone, Harper needs to go.

And how has that hurt me or the country?

I'm a fiscal conservative, probably not that different than you on issues like taxation (though I'm not nearly as doctrinaire), but I love our system of government, and view the desolation of the caucus and cabinet as an attack on the very core of our governing system.

You love our system of government which is why you hate our system of government and want to completely revamp it, right? :rolleyes:

Our housing market is a mess and it's because of Harper's (lack of) policies

Our housing market is a mess in Vancouver and Toronto because of rich Chinese immigrants. Do you want Harper to stop letting them in? I didn't think so.

He put all his eggs into the fossil-fuel basket and now that oil prices came down we were hit hard.

HE did this? First of all, as has already been reported a number of times, our oil and gas industry represents about 5-6% of our economy.

Second, Harper did not discover oil, not did he cause the oil industry to grow across the country while dancing and blowing a flute and dropping oil seeds from Newfoundland to Alberta.

He muzzled scientists,

Phhht. No government ever lets its employees contradict its policies. You think Trudeau or Mulcair would be any different?

he showed he doesn't care about the environment.

No, he showed he doesn't care about CO2 emissions. Not the same thing.

He created a two-tier citizenship

Good.

and now he is making it out like we're doomed as a nation if a Pakistani woman wears a niqab for her citizenship ceremony.

The fewer religious fanatics in the country the better, as far as I'm concerned. Why are we bringing in more?

And how has any of this hurt Canada?

OPhhht. No government ever lets its employees contradict its policies. You think Trudeau or Mulcair would be any different?

Scientists are not merely employees, and this has been a sustained campaign to prevent scientists from reporting on a number of important issues because, somehow, science that opposes short term political gain must be wrong.