Strategic Voting - It needs to be done

marcus

If me and a few hundred others had gone with instinct instead of with advice The Waldo's crappy Strategic Voting website, this young woman would be on her way to Ottawa.

However, since the Liberals already had a hefty majority, it's probably for the best that we sent a Tory instead.

You're off the hook this time, Waldo.

there were 3 sites mentioned; one of them, 'Leadnow', didn't offer a recommendation on your Central Okanagan-Similkameen-Nicola riding. Of the other 2, I expect you keyed on the first... where I put up a big "YMMV" caveat. In any case, both of those other 2 sites keyed on active polling factoring in the 2011 election... where the Liberal in 2011 was so far out of it as not to have been in it. If you voted in the advance polls (and followed these 2 sites) you would have been 'bitten'; however, if you checked out the final day polling before Oct. 19th... and you accepted that polling, you would have voted Liberal. It is a shame cause Karley Scott is easy on the eyes... and really, really qualified too!

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know lots of commentators call every election THE election, and certainly every election has its unique aspects, but I can tell you this, the election I watched on Monday night was like nothing I've ever seen before, and I'm unlikely to see its likes ever again. They'll be writing about this election in fifty years.

If they do strategic voting will feature large in their assessment. If Trudeau's government is perceived to be a disaster watch for further wild electoral swings. Maybe this will be the election that marks the point at which FPTP started serving us more poorly than usual...but allow at least fifty years for that to sink in. And I'd like to temper my regard for Trudeau's accomplishment with a quote from a letter written by Cassandra Fletcher to Justine Trudeau that has gone viral.

1. Get real about your win. Accept it with humility and modesty, and treat your fellow left politicians with respect and gratitude, for it is THEIR supporters who got you here with your sweeping majority, and not your own.

Story

When this election is dissected and analyzed I think SV will prove that for better or worse strategic voters will be a force to be reckoned with - a force that might make PR the only way to counter the instability that SV can bring to a multi-party FPTP political/governing system.

When this election is dissected and analyzed I think SV will prove that for better or worse strategic voters will be a force to be reckoned with - a force that might make PR the only way to counter the instability that SV can bring to a multi-party FPTP political/governing system.

I think what it will prove is that strategic voting at the riding level, even with better polling than voters have previously had, isn't workable. The fact that the Liberals beat even their own polling (apparently on the eve of the election they had a maximum of 177 seats, and were still prepared for a minority) suggests that what happened wasn't targeted voting for the Liberals, but large segments of the electorate voting Liberal without that much attention to how it affected local races.

So, I don't think it was strategic voting in the form of "Hmmm... the NDP have the best chance to beat the Tory candidate in my riding, but in the next riding over it's the Liberal candidate..." I think it was just generally that early on, it was the NDP who was seen nationally to be the best choice, but by the 19th, the Liberals, nationally, were seen as the best fit.

If we had seen riding-based strategic voting, I would think we would have ended up with some sort of minority government.

If someone can point me to the leader anywhere in a liberal democracy that lead his party from third party status to a majority government, increasing his seat count nearly 5.5 times its pre-dissolution count, steam roll over veteran politicians, I'd like to know.

I know lots of commentators call every election THE election, and certainly every election has its unique aspects, but I can tell you this, the election I watched on Monday night was like nothing I've ever seen before, and I'm unlikely to see its likes ever again. They'll be writing about this election in fifty years.

Hopefully as a footnote..."The last Canadian Election via FPTP"

Realistically, I was just as surprised with the 2011 election. This election was more of a "return to normal", other than the full sweep of the maritimes...I don't think I stopped laughing the entire time...

Specifically getting a minority would be impractical. It takes a lot of deeply rooted dislike to focus strategic voting anyway, and I'm not sure if JT will have inspired enough dislike in 4 years.

I was thinking about the depth of dislike for FPTP. It might be enough to create a sizable bloc of voters large enough to have an impact, especially if Trudeau reneges on his promise to reform our electoral process.

I was thinking about the depth of dislike for FPTP. It might be enough to create a sizable bloc of voters large enough to have an impact, especially if Trudeau reneges on his promise to reform our electoral process.

I just hope that people are well informed enough to not get drawn into alternative vote. It could actually be worse than what we have now.

If they do strategic voting will feature large in their assessment. If Trudeau's government is perceived to be a disaster watch for further wild electoral swings. Maybe this will be the election that marks the point at which FPTP started serving us more poorly than usual...but allow at least fifty years for that to sink in. And I'd like to temper my regard for Trudeau's accomplishment with a quote from a letter written by Cassandra Fletcher to Justine Trudeau that has gone viral.

Viral enough that he responded,

I wonder how long he can (or will) keep this level of public interaction going?