Who Is In Charge?

Only if the PM relinquishes it. He's still the PM until he does so, even if he loses the election. He can even advise the GG that he intends to try to continue to govern anyway.

He could try that I suppose, if he was stupid. If the election is deemed fair, he has no choice. His power does not exceed that of the crown.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody from the senate is back on the payroll.

Excellent question, I never thought about this fact.

WWWTT

Who do you think is in charge? I won't badger you for link, I just want hear who, in your opinion, is currently in charge.

He could try that I suppose, if he was stupid. If the election is deemed fair, he has no choice. His power does not exceed that of the crown.

The Governor General is bound by convention. It would be only an extraordinary circumstance that would allow him to exercise power outside of it. The PM is the PM as long as he commands the confidence of the house.

The Governor General is bound by convention. It would be only an extraordinary circumstance that would allow him to exercise power outside of it. The PM is the PM as long as he commands the confidence of the house.

This is like democracy 101. If the PM loses the election, he is no longer the PM. That of course is because he has lost the confidence of the people. Losing the confidence of the house means there must be an election.

Edited by On Guard for Thee

This is like democracy 101. If the PM loses the election, he is no longer the PM. That of course is because he has lost the confidence of the people. Losing the confidence of the house means there must be an election.

You know so little about our system of government. After an election, the sitting PM can attempt to govern and gain the confidence of the house. If that confidence is not available or is withdrawn, only then must he step down.

If the opposition wins more than half the seats in an election the GG must ask the leader of the oppositio to form a new government.

That is how things generally work, but if by some miracle, the sitting PM thought he could command their confidence, he would have the right to continue to govern.

You know so little about our system of government. After an election, the sitting PM can attempt to govern and gain the confidence of the house. If that confidence is not available or is withdrawn, only then must he step down.

Is that Harper's plan?

Call an election ... at great expense to us ... and then just ignore the results?

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Harper doesn't have a democratic bone in his body: Autocrat all the way.

Edited by jacee

Who is in charge right now?

Queen of England.....LOL.....King of Saudi Arabia :lol:

I bet at least 50% of Canadian conservative dudes would make him their king if he shut down his oil pipe to rise the oil price to $100 per barrel once again before the end of this year, so the dudes could get their desirable Christmas gifts---a brand new version of Xbox with 4k war games and "minecraft" support I suppose---from their re-employed parents :P

Who do you think is in charge? I won't badger you for link, I just want hear who, in your opinion, is currently in charge.

GG and the senate.

But that can change with some evidence.

A link is necessary here.

WWWTT

Usually in elections voters vote for their MP in the riding, but do you think this time many will be voting for the leader? Since there is a "get rid of Harper' movement out there, I can see were this may be happening across Canada.

Most people vote for the party leader, this has been true for decades. The candidate MP is just wearing the jersey.

Edited by hitops

Thank you for he responses - but - I had been unable to find a definitive answer to my question and I still have not seen one. Until there is a verified link from some official organization then all else is personal speculation.

I ask again - Who is now in charge (decision making) in Canada. Who in the government can send troops into action?

I am surprised that this question has not come up in the past. We are going to be in this position for almost 3 months.

In 1981, in the USA, when Nixon was in trouble, General Alexander Haig declared that "I am in charge". There is profit and opportunity in chaos.

Edited by Big Guy

Thank you for he responses - but - I had been unable to find a definitive answer to my question and I still have not seen one. Until there is a verified link from some official organization then all else is personal speculation.

I ask again - Who is now in charge (decision making) in Canada. Who in the government can send troops into action?

I am surprised that this question has not come up in the past. We are going to be in this position for almost 3 months.

In 1981, in the USA, when Nixon was in trouble, General Alexander Haig declared that "I am in charge". There is profit and opportunity in chaos.

The governor in council (the cabinet) can order troops into action by an order in council. They don't need the parliament.

.....In 1981, in the USA, when Nixon was in trouble, General Alexander Haig declared that "I am in charge". There is profit and opportunity in chaos.

Nixon was not the USA president in 1981. Gen. Haig declared that he was in control at the White House.

None of this has anything to do with a federal election and transfer of power in Canada.

Your question has been answered. The current government remains in charge until such a time as it's no longer in charge.