The boxing superfight of all time!11!

So I hear that after years of hype and build-up, Floyd Mayweather got paid $200 million for running backwards and hugging Manny Pacquiao for 12 rounds. Boxing experts are declaring it a "defensive clinic", everybody else is declaring it "boring."

Anybody watch?

-k

Edited by kimmy

The most expensive ticket for the fight was up around $40,000, once the market had it's say. Those protesters in Montreal should have been at the MGM Grand.

Edited by bcsapper

I was a boxing fan many, many years ago when it was popular - the days of George Chuvalo and Cassius Clay (once saw Rocky Marciano fight). The sport was popular and as crooked as the gangsters could make it. The Friday Night fights was a favourite in the house with the men of the family gathered around the black and white, 14 inch TV.

With all these other action outlets like Ultimate fighting I believe that the blood lust is better satisfied than boxing. The artistry is still overwhelmed by the savagery.

I saw some coverage of that fight. Lots of talent but not enough blood. Not impressed.

Floyd Mayweather fought like he always does...I don't know why people were disappointed with the identical defensive strategy that has won him 48 pro fights without any defeats. It was a boxing match, not Christians vs. Lions.

Mayweather silenced his critics and got paid...good for him.

I cant imagine a more pathetic way to waste a part of an evening.

Do you like football? That's as violent a sport.

Boxing or MMA are strategical sports but they also appeal to the more primal nature of humans.

Hockey does the same thing with body checking.

Do you like football? That's as violent a sport.

Boxing or MMA are strategical sports but they also appeal to the more primal nature of humans.

Hockey does the same thing with body checking.

Hockey is my favorite, football, ah, take it or leave it. Again as I stated, when a hockey game turns into a donnybrook, I head for the fridge. That and dirty hits irk me. I like the speed and finesse of the game, seeing people getting hurt on purpose, or putting on a show dancing around on skates swinging at each others heads appeals to nothing primal, or at any level of my nature.

Hockey is my favorite, football, ah, take it or leave it. Again as I stated, when a hockey game turns into a donnybrook, I head for the fridge. That and dirty hits irk me. I like the speed and finesse of the game, seeing people getting hurt on purpose, or putting on a show dancing around on skates swinging at each others heads appeals to nothing primal, or at any level of my nature.

Boxing is called the Sweet Science, it's a completely tactical sport. You're not allowed dirty hits. It's a competition, you're using strength and violence to achieve these goals however, just like in Football.

Do you also have moral objections to all marshall arts?

You must really hate Paintball.

Edited by Boges

I don't mind if people don't like boxing. But this thread probably isn't for you then.

Kind of a typical Canadian reaction to violence. SHAME!!! Violence is never the answer. We should all play nicely and not get hurt.

Same type of people that don't want kids to play outdoors in high school.

Boxing is called the Sweet Science, it's a completely tactical sport. You're not allowed dirty hits. It's a competition, you're using strength and violence to achieve these goals however, just like in Football.

Do you also have moral objections to all marshall arts?

You must really hate Paintball.

They can call it what they want. The violence is not in the least appealing to me. A sport that ends up addling someones brain such as happened to Ali is neither sweet, nor science IMO. And as to martial arts, I spent 3 years attending a dojo and acquired various belts. Never been in better shape, never made better friends, and was never hurt, or hurt any other of the karate ka. The name of the traditional Japanese style translates to School of Peace.

They can call it what they want. The violence is not in the least appealing to me. A sport that ends up addling someones brain such as happened to Ali is neither sweet, nor science IMO. And as to martial arts, I spent 3 years attending a dojo and acquired various belts. Never been in better shape, never made better friends, and was never hurt, or hurt any other of the karate ka. The name of the traditional Japanese style translates to School of Peace.

Oh yeah Marshall Arts aren't based on violence or anything. :lol:

Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Wrestling and Boxing are all classic Olympic sports. IMHO MMA would be a great Olympics sport.

As Shady says, if you don't like it, fine but then why comment in a thread about it? Just want to be "That" guy?

Mohamed Ali was the maker of his circumstance. Not the sport. He didn't know when to quit. Can't really avoid the Greed and Vanity that goes with Professional Sports.

Edited by Boges

Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Wrestling and Boxing are all classic Olympic sports. IMHO MMA would be a great Olympics sport.

As Shady says, if you don't like it, fine but then why comment in a thread about it? Just want to be "That" guy?

Mohamed Ali was the maker of his circumstance. Not the sport. He didn't know when to quit. Can't really avoid the Greed and Vanity that goes with Professional Sports.

In hindsight his rope a dope probably wasn't a good idea.

What thread would you suggest I comment on it if not on the thread that is.... about it. Typically what I have seen of martial arts imported to NA, and especially the US, is they bastardize it so you get lots of bloody noses flowing which does seem to appeal to some form of base instinct of some people.

It has been reported that Manny had injured his shoulder 2 weeks before then fight. He had petitioned to take some drugs but was denied. He is scheduled for rotator cuff surgery next week.

Rather than waiting, postponing and healing, Manny decided to take his $100 million and run.

I wonder how some of those who had serious money on Manny feel about his "secret"?

OR

I wonder how those on the inside who knew Manny was hurt and bet against him made out?

Edited by Big Guy