Quebec To Create Its Own Gun Registry

The Supreme court has ruled that the federal government can destroy all its files of the old gun registry:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebec-to-proceed-with-own-registry-after-ruling-1.2299997

The verdict was 5-4 in favour of the government. It is interesting that all 3 judges from Quebec voted against that decision.

Is this going to be an issue or non issue in the next federal election?

This may lead to an interesting debate on the responsibility and powers of the federal government vs those of the provincial government.

Edited by Big Guy

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Supreme court has ruled that the federal government can destroy all its files of the old gun registry:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebec-to-proceed-with-own-registry-after-ruling-1.2299997

The verdict was 5-4 in favour of the government. It is interesting that all 3 judges from Quebec voted against that decision.

Is this going to be an issue or non issue in the next federal election?

This may lead to an interesting debate on the responsibility and powers of the federal government vs those of the provincial government.

Did the CPC not campaign on scrapping the Gun Registry? Why would them doing what they promised to do effect them in a future election.

The CPC can't do much worse in Quebec, there are theories that they may improve slightly in Quebec.

That vote showed how screwed up the SC is. And yes harper is doing what he said he was going to do, now I know that is hard for liberals to understand. So really in the end we taxpayer will have to pay for this fiasco again.

Edited by PIK

I watch Harper make his speech on this and it was a farce for his reasons such as WE don't need the registry because its already cover under...... This is the same logic the critics against C51 are telling the Tories but they didn't care ...until more Canadians started protesting and now they are making small changes.

Harpers speech explain it perfectly. Being someone that has actually sold guns(long guns and hand guns) he is right . Maybe you should check the facts. And it has already been proven to be a colossal failure, and it will be again in Quebec. All it was , was a liberal feel good policy.

Edited by PIK

The SCC had previously ruled that the Federal government had the sole authority to set up a registry over the objections of provinces so it really had no legal basis to claim it did not have the sole authority to destroy it over over objections of the provinces. The fact that it was not unanimous is just more evidence of how at least some judges think they are entitled to use the court to impose their political views on the country instead of simply ruling on the law. Edited by TimG

The SCC had previously ruled that the Federal government had the sole authority to set up a registry over the objections of provinces so it really had no legal basis to claim it did not have the sole authority to destroy it over over objections of the provinces. The fact that it was not unanimous is just more evidence of how at least some judges think they are entitled to use the court to impose their political views on the country instead of simply ruling on the law.

Yup. The three Quebec judges, where gun control has become an emotional issue without logic behind it, and the far left gay rights advocate Abella waned to insert the court into this to prevent the federal government from doing what it had the perfect right to do. Note the wording used by the majority here.

“Quebec has no legal right to the data,” Destroying the registry and its data "is a lawful exercise of Parliament’s criminal law legislative power under the Constitution.”

Yet the other four were like "Meh, we don't care about law and the constitution. We hate guns and want to order the government to hand over the data" They tried to base this on what they called "unwritten constitutional principles". What the hell is an unwritten constitutional principle other than one the were trying to make up on the spot?

I can't fathom how Quebec would create its own registry........

First, any data from the old LGR was useless the day after the LGR was scrapped.

Second, under the Firearms Act, the collection of data (or any laws related to firearms) pertaining to ones firearms is a Federal Jurisdiction, as such, the Province of Quebec has no leg to stand on.

Third, any person living within the Province of Quebec can simply buy/sell a firearm(s) out of Province, with the out of Province buyer/seller having no legal requirement to report the sale/purchase to anyone.

Fourth, the Quebec Chief Firearms Officer, under authority of the Firearms Act, can require a gun owner's info for their Authorization to transport (ATT) permit, but only restricted firearms (Handguns, AR-15s etc) require an ATT.....and restricted firearms are already registered by the CFC..

A Quebec Long Gun Registry is truly idiotic and will be an even bigger waste of money and resources then the previous Federal registry........

I can't fathom how Quebec would create its own registry........

First, any data from the old LGR was useless the day after the LGR was scrapped.

Second, under the Firearms Act, the collection of data (or any laws related to firearms) pertaining to ones firearms is a Federal Jurisdiction, as such, the Province of Quebec has no leg to stand on.

Third, any person living within the Province of Quebec can simply buy/sell a firearm(s) out of Province, with the out of Province buyer/seller having no legal requirement to report the sale/purchase to anyone.

Fourth, the Quebec Chief Firearms Officer, under authority of the Firearms Act, can require a gun owner's info for their Authorization to transport (ATT) permit, but only restricted firearms (Handguns, AR-15s etc) require an ATT.....and restricted firearms are already registered by the CFC..

A Quebec Long Gun Registry is truly idiotic and will be an even bigger waste of money and resources then the previous Federal registry........

Not idiotic at all. If you own a gun through the registry and decide to sell it illegally, it can be traced right back to you. A gun license does not do that. With a gun license I can buy 50 guns, well them to whoever and not worry. Next thing you know we start heading down the US path and kids start getting blown away at school, etc.

Not idiotic at all. If you own a gun through the registry and decide to sell it illegally, it can be traced right back to you. A gun license does not do that. With a gun license I can buy 50 guns, well them to whoever and not worry. Next thing you know we start heading down the US path and kids start getting blown away at school, etc.

Did we head down that path before the registry? No? I didn't think so. The registry is utterly useless.

There are far better places to put the prevention money. Improved safety classes for example.

Im all for that. I had to take one way back when when I first took a notion I wanted to go hunting, since I lived in the country. Unfortunately nowadays people are using guns for a lot more odious travails than bagging a rabbit or a partridge. Sad of course but we need to protect ourselves from that reality as best we can. You want a gun to go hunting, you have my blessing, but you need to jump through a few safety hoops IMO.

Im all for that. I had to take one way back when when I first took a notion I wanted to go hunting, since I lived in the country. Unfortunately nowadays people are using guns for a lot more odious travails than bagging a rabbit or a partridge.

Based on what, exactly? People always used guns to kill other people. It actually happens less now as a percentage.

You're missing the point.......there is no gun registry, and under the current Canadian FIrearms Act, only the Federal government can create such a database.......not the Province of Quebec.

As to a registry and "gun tracing" itself, here too you don't know what you're talking about.........Most firearms made pre 1968 don't have serial numbers, and for those that do (both pre/post '68) have serial numbers:

obj-file-steel.jpg

:rolleyes:

Ever checked how many get killed in the US by guns these days compared to Canada... Do you think its just a coincidence that there laws are so lax and the rate is 10 times higher...

You do understand that for most of our history, there has been no long gun registry, I hope? I haven't suggested that any laws be repealed though so....not sure what you're going on about.

You're missing the point.......there is no gun registry, and under the current Canadian FIrearms Act, only the Federal government can create such a database.......not the Province of Quebec.

As to a registry and "gun tracing" itself, here too you don't know what you're talking about.........Most firearms made pre 1968 don't have serial numbers, and for those that do (both pre/post '68) have serial numbers:

obj-file-steel.jpg

:rolleyes:

Apparently you have no idea what you are talking about. The PQ has the right to create their own registry and have announced they will go down that path. And suggesting that all the guns around are pre 68 is laughable.

You do understand that for most of our history, there has been no long gun registry, I hope? I haven't suggested that any laws be repealed though so....not sure what you're going on about.

You dont seem to comprehend the difference between a gun registry and a gun license. If everybody is playing by the rules, the difference is only technical, if not it becomes significant. Being naive is not a good way to look at public safety.