If you could choose your...

Race ? Sexual preference ? Gender ?

What would you choose ?

Some on another thread were insulted by Shady's statement that nobody would choose to be gay, however given that you can't choose the natural state of these things, strictly speaking, I think I agree with him. But it's a comment on the discrimination that people face based on these classifications, nothing more.

I just saw Larry Wilmore on the Nightly Show ask a panel of black women which they would choose to be and the respondent answered and reaffirmed that she'd be a white man, because she has to do "twice as much to get half the reward".

Yes... white, straight, male. I feel lucky and privileged.

How about you ?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what you're supporting by standing behind that statement.

I do not believe in the least that people choose sexual preference. If you feel that way, then you are simply attracted to both sexes.

I guess I can see your point, though, if you actually think it's a "choice" then it calls gay people crazy. I never thought of that before.

No. I'm genuinely offended by your support for Shady's comments here. I find it repulsive and I expected better from you.

It's a bit of a philosophical head-scratcher to me. What we're saying is: if this fundamental idea of where attraction comes from, or my ideas and beliefs on that to be more specific, are false... then my agreement with this question constitutes gross intolerance.

Hmmmm.... I suppose if the idea with which I disagree has any significant support in our public, then you'd have a point.

Does it ? Do people generally believe that people CHOOSE their sexual preference ? I'm asking honestly.

I also hasten to point out that the gay folks who I have heard say this share my belief that sexual preference is not a choice. Philosophically, if it were a choice then I agree with Cyber that the question would be different. Basically you'd be asking then if homosexuals were [pejorative] "crazy".

What would be the purpose of choosing to be gay?

The question only makes sense (to me) in terms of a completely asexual person looking at the universe of impacts that would await him/her/himher in choosing one preference over another.

When you phrase it as "legitimate reason" you are confusing the unrealism of the premise in implying that there could be "illegitimate reasons". What illegitimate reasons do you think there could be ?

Actually - first of all, do you think sexual preference is a choice ?

The question only makes sense (to me) in terms of a completely asexual person looking at the universe of impacts that would await him/her/himher in choosing one preference over another.

When you phrase it as "legitimate reason" you are confusing the unrealism of the premise in implying that there could be "illegitimate reasons". What illegitimate reasons do you think there could be ?

I can't think of any. And no, sexual preference isn't a choice.

I can't think of any. And no, sexual preference isn't a choice.

Well, right... as I said if you don't believe it IS a choice, as I don't, then we're talking about a theoretical/philosophical question about which choice would be better for the person in question. As it's laid out, I agree with you.

Cyber appears to think that it may be a choice though. I will wait for his response.

What is that ? Is that when fraternity bros spank each other for initiation ? Me neither.

It's a cross between a surfboard and a rowboat...it's totally bi. As for being spanked by people in spandex I often have to run a gauntlet of kayakers warming up on the dock every morning. So I wonder who gets the right of way in the event of a SUP boarder and kayaker on a collision course? Whoever has the biggest paddle would be my guess.

They're all just a bunch of speed-bumps to me once I'm underway.

It's a cross between a surfboard and a rowboat...it's totally bi. As for being spanked by people in spandex I often have to run a gauntlet of kayakers warming up on the dock every morning. So I wonder who gets the right of way in the event of a SUP boarder and kayaker on a collision course? Whoever has the biggest paddle would be my guess.

They're all just a bunch of speed-bumps to me once I'm underway.

Lol, this is the equivalent of a child putting his hands over his ears and yelling, I can't hear you! I can't hear you! I can't hear you! :lol:

Shady's statement made sense to me.

If sexual preference was something that was consciously decided, I don't think many would choose the prejudice and strife and heartache that comes with being gay. Especially in other parts of the world, where people who are gay are arrested or killed or beaten to death by mobs.

If it was a matter of conscious choice, why would anybody choose that?

-k

If you haven't read today's Post you have interesting timing.

Underlying the emotion on both sides is the looming and frustratingly unsettled question: Is homosexuality inherent or a choice? Those who consider homosexuality a moral sin naturally prefer to cast it as a choice. The politically correct answer, though, is that gays and lesbians are born that way, case closed, so don’t even think about judging or trying to change them. Yet science has failed to give a definitive answer either way.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/03/05/barbara-kay-gay-advocate-unwittingly-encourages-idea-that-children-can-be-taught-to-be-gay/

As to your original question, I see no general advantage and some disadvantages in being gay or female or adding skin pigmentation. So why would I wish to be anything but a white man?

Edited by Argus

I guess he just doesn't get a joke. Micheal seemed to but...oh well.

-k

To force or make a point - a political statement. To challenge the status quo with hopes of effecting a change in the outlook of others be it family, community, society or world. I'm quite sure this happens all the time.

Sometimes a bit of humour helps.

If sexual preference was something that was consciously decided, I don't think many would choose the prejudice and strife and heartache that comes with being gay. Especially in other parts of the world, where people who are gay are arrested or killed or beaten to death by mobs.

-k

Well said kimmy. That's what I was trying to say. I probably wasn't specific enough.

I guess he just doesn't get a joke. Micheal seemed to but...oh well.

To force or make a point - a political statement. To challenge the status quo with hopes of effecting a change in the outlook of others be it family, community, society or world. I'm quite sure this happens all the time.

Sometimes a bit of humour helps.

What kind of change would one be hoping to effect?

A change in the outlook of others be it family, community, society or world.

If you thought choosing to do that would make a difference, would you?

I wouldn't think that deciding who to spend ones' life with is the venue by which most people would "make a difference".

-k