Site Gender Options are so Regressive!

-1=e^ipi

Should this site have more gender options?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm surprised that this issue hasn't been brought up before.

Currently, there are 4 gender options for this website: Male, female, blank and not telling. I.e. basically only 2.

It's 2016! Why are the gendered options so limited? Facebook has 58 genders. New York City recognizes 31 genders.

I think that either the number of gender options should be greatly expanded, or the site allows people to type in some text to describe their gender, rather than choose from a limited list of options.

Also, some websites distinguish between gender identity, gender expression, phenotypical sex, genetic sex and sexual orientation. So that may be worth looking into.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Added a poll. I hope that this website joins the 'right side of history' and increases gender options. At asexuality.org, for example, I use "Gender roles are dumb" to describe my gender, and everyone seems fine with it.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

5 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

What a stupid topic.

Some would argue that sounds like hate speech against non-binary people, by denying their gender. Some would even be triggered by such comments.

What is wrong with having more gender options? It doesn't deny your gender being male.

22 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Some would argue that sounds like hate speech against non-binary people, by denying their gender. Some would even be triggered by such comments.

What is wrong with having more gender options? It doesn't deny your gender being male.

No, it's hate speech against stupid. 

4 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

No, it's hate speech against stupid. 

If stupid isn't a protected class yet, it should be! It's very unfair to stupid people if smart people get hired over them for jobs, after all. What is the pay disparity between stupid people and smart people and why is society doing nothing to address it? In fact that very word "stupid" sounds like an intelligentist slur... 

Edited by Bonam

5 minutes ago, Bonam said:

If stupid isn't a protected class yet, it should be! It's very unfair to stupid people if smart people get hired over them for jobs, after all. What is the pay disparity between stupid people and smart people and why is society doing nothing to address it? In fact that very word "stupid" sounds like an intelligentist slur... 

Yeah. stupid people probably earn like 70 cents on the dollar as non-stupid people. Clearly the difference is due to discrimination! *sarcasm*

Mods: despite the joking or making light of the issue, please don't close this thread. I would like to see more gender options for this website.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

7 hours ago, -1=e^ipi said:

What is wrong with having more gender options?

The gender question has nothing to do with how you feel about it, it's giving you the choice to reveal objective facts about you --  should you choose to reveal them. You can also keep that private if you like.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

The gender question has nothing to do with how you feel about it, it's giving you the choice to reveal objective facts about you --  should you choose to reveal them. You can also keep that private if you like.

Objectively, some people have ambguous genitalia from birth, which means its not clear if they are physically male or female.   If they and their parents choose to forgo surgical reassignment, should such a person choose their gender based on physical and objective characteristics, which would require at least one more gender category, or should they choose based their subjective feelings about which gender they are?    

58 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Objectively, some people have ambguous genitalia from birth, which means its not clear if they are physically male or female.   If they and their parents choose to forgo surgical reassignment, should such a person choose their gender based on physical and objective characteristics, which would require at least one more gender category, or should they choose based their subjective feelings about which gender they are?    

They will still objectively either have a Y chromosome or not. It's not a choice one can make. You can have surgery to correct a birth defect, it won't change what you actually are. 

Gender is apparently a continuum, ok, so if that's the case it really isn't possible to quantify anything apart from identifying as the extremes, male or female, so lets forgo that and as gender we can all just be 'members of the continuum'  that's a lot more reasonable than trying to quantify and satisfy the desires of anyone who wants to self identify as something in between male and female.  But something tells me that won't satisfy some who seem to be mostly looking for attention or to simply stick to the 'normies' for being what 99.9% (probably more 9's because these things are fashionably exaggerated) of us are.

Don't take that the wrong way because i honestly wouldn't care if i was a 'member of the continuum', but when people start demanding they can call themselves one of 30 something genders, which in itself is probably discriminating against those who somehow don't quite fit any of them (it's a continuum remember) and i have to respect and remember and be legally forced to comply that's something different.  Be what you want, leave me out of it.

12 hours ago, -1=e^ipi said:

I'm surprised that this issue hasn't been brought up before.

Currently, there are 4 gender options for this website: Male, female, blank and not telling. I.e. basically only 2.

It's 2016! Why are the gendered options so limited? Facebook has 58 genders. New York City recognizes 31 genders.

I think that either the number of gender options should be greatly expanded, or the site allows people to type in some text to describe their gender, rather than choose from a limited list of options.

Also, some websites distinguish between gender identity, gender expression, phenotypical sex, genetic sex and sexual orientation. So that may be worth looking into.

Four is two now? Who cares about your gender, why should it matter. Also, why do you need to identify yourself by your gender. Why for example is "gay" a culture?

@poochy  It happens so rarely that I wanted to mention I kind of agree with you.  If gender is a continuum then its impossible to accurately define each of us.  Perhaps a couple or three more broad categories beyond male/female would be satisfacotory.

@Bryan.  Hormones alone are powerful enough to mitigate the effects of X and Y chromosone-defined gender in fetuses, direct brain development, and initiate significant physical and mental changes in adolescents. How can you just ignore their potential effects in favor of simplistic binary definition of male and female?   Physical differences are easy to identify, but that doesn't mean the differences driven by hormones are any less real.

While once the Y chromosome was large and contained as many genes as the X chromosome, it has been rapidly deteriorating. The X chromosome contains almost two thousand genes, while the Y chromosome has deteriorated to a few hundred with less than a hundred being functional. A few hundred million years ago both chromosomes were roughly the same size, each containing a similar number of genes. What is the eventual destiny of the Y chromosome, will it eventually decay to nothing?

Now what do you have to say to those who talk about the feminization of our species over the past half century?

4 hours ago, dialamah said:

Sex is not the same thing as gender. It's 2016! How do people not know this?

2 hours ago, poochy said:

Gender is apparently a continuum, ok, so if that's the case it really isn't possible to quantify anything apart from identifying as the extremes, male or female, so lets forgo that and as gender we can all just be 'members of the continuum'  that's a lot more reasonable than trying to quantify and satisfy the desires of anyone who wants to self identify as something in between male and female.

But there are third gender people. And third gender people do not identify as 'members of the continuum'. So your suggestion is super regressive!

Edited by -1=e^ipi

33 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

What is the eventual destiny of the Y chromosome, will it eventually decay to nothing?

Yes. There are already some mammalian species that no longer have a y chromosome.

http://molecularevolutionforum.blogspot.ca/2012/05/rodents-with-no-y-chromosome-and-no-sry.html

7 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Gay is a sexual orientation. Not a culture.

Seems like a culture because in Toronto they have a gay village. My friend went to school there told me they have gay dentists, barbers. Gay stores, clubs, even parades. Everything has to be about being gay, for them to feel comfortable. Sounds like culture to me.

Edited by OftenWrong