Tim Hortons - 350 Laid Off

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tim-hortons-says-350-were-fired-this-week-1.2936921

That great Canadian icon Burger King has indicated that they're rolling down the rim on 350 people. I have always found it weird that people get jingoistic about this company. It's not US Steel, it's DONUTS.

In any case, I feel like TH botched the news on this somehow. They initially wouldn't release numbers to the media, thereby keeping the story "hot and fresh" for a few more hours.

Thoughts ?

I read that the Feds aren't going to let them lay off so many.

Tim Hortons is soooo polarizing. I like it but so many people hate it with a passion.

It's a cultural Canadian Icon, live with it.

Starbucks is more cultural here than Tims....

Chinese market?

They do loves them some starbucks.

I can't tell between the Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotians, Koreans or Japanese... so it could be any of them... but a lot of whitey hipsters too. And stay-at-home moms with their babies... babies love the chai!!

I can't tell between the Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotians, Koreans or Japanese...

You cant ? I grant you , Loatians are hard to distinguish, but Koreans Japanese and chinese are generally easy.

But I should not have posted Chinese but rather Asian (although the Chinese do love Starbucks from what I see)

... but a lot of whitey hipsters too.

Yea well.....no whitey hipster would be caught dead in a Tims

One item missing from this article which was on the latest news , was they will wait five years before going after the franchises but then, I also heard they will be expanding, so who knows what really happening with this company. All I know is so far, Brazilian companies don't treat Canadian workers well.

350 isn't all that much considering how many people they employ. What's that, like one person per city?

But these are head office jobs.

Anyways, what does Burger King have to do with it?

Kimmy got it.

You think if it wasn't owned by Burger King they wouldn't be laid off?

Well... they were owned by another company prior to the sale, so... yes, basically.

Don't mergers automatically mean that there are redundancies at the Head Office.

From what I gather about this deal it was a fake tax inversion deal so this Oakville Office is now BK's head office to avoid US corporate taxes. So there guys will be moving up here or something.

This doesn't effect the guy or girl who pours your Medium Regular every day.

Yes, let's focus on Target and forget about the hundreds of American companies that have been successful in Canada. :rolleyes:

English.....comprehension and all, that is lacking.

No one focused on Target, merely a statement that they better not send up the same type of idiots who made all the mistakes.

Edited by Guyser2