Tim Hortons - 350 Laid Off

I know there are connoisseur's that think it's swill

It is.

...but those drive thru line ups every morning don't lie. Timmies is extraordinarily successful in Canada and it's not cuz of the parbaked donuts.

Youre right , they dont lie, but the coffee is still crap.

The lines prove it is popular.....nothing else .

I imagine Michael referenced Burger King to poke fun at the Canadian nationalism that Tim Horton's often invokes in their marketing.

-k

There must be at least a Tim-bit of ideological marketing too - I was called a communist once for disparaging Timmies coffee, which really is pretty awful stuff.

I can't get that concerned about layoffs at Tim's. The number of jobs is pretty small compared to the number of layoffs in other sectors.

I'd suggest that any concern over layoffs at Tim's compared to other layoffs is due to the idea that Tim's is a Canadian institution. And I'd suggest that idea is fiction, fostered by marketing that shamelessly appeals to Canadian nationalism to a degree that's almost cringe-inducing.

They're just a business. There's lots of other businesses in their sector, and some of them are Canadian in real life, not just on TV.

I know there are connoisseur's that think it's swill but those drive thru line ups every morning don't lie. Timmies is extraordinarily successful in Canada and it's not cuz of the parbaked donuts.

Justin Bieber has a lot of fans too.

-k

I can't get that concerned about layoffs at Tim's. The number of jobs is pretty small compared to the number of layoffs in other sectors.

I'd suggest that any concern over layoffs at Tim's compared to other layoffs is due to the idea that Tim's is a Canadian institution. And I'd suggest that idea is fiction, fostered by marketing that shamelessly appeals to Canadian nationalism to a degree that's almost cringe-inducing.

They're just a business. There's lots of other businesses in their sector, and some of them are Canadian in real life, not just on TV.

Justin Bieber has a lot of fans too.

-k

People associate Tim Horton's and Canada because it was founded in Canada by a Canadian. They care less about who runs the operation, because that can change on a regular basis.

People associate Tim Horton's and Canada because it was founded in Canada by a Canadian. They care less about who runs the operation, because that can change on a regular basis.

Lots of businesses are founded in Canada by Canadians. Few of them are so enthusiastic about marketing themselves on that basis.

-k

Second Cup, Blenz, and Timothy's World Coffee are all Canadian-founded companies that are actually owned by Canadians (and staffed by Canadians instead of temporary foreign workers...)

-k

350 isn't all that much considering how many people they employ. What's that, like one person per city? Anyways, what does Burger King have to do with it? You think if it wasn't owned by Burger King they wouldn't be laid off?

Mergers always result in lay offs. Wait till the Loblaw-Shoppers thing is finalized, then you are going to see massive layoffs there. Hell I used to work for Loblaw and was laid off over a year ago. But I had also seen about 1500 people laid off in the months before I was let go.

Well Burger King already has a longstanding footprint in Canada. I can't remember the last time I've eaten in one though. There are several fast food joints I'd rather eat in.

I think BK has been hurting. There are a couple in the Ottawa area that were demolished last year. And I think one in Sudbury no longer stands.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.vancouversun.com/Hortons+apologizes+after+bucket+water+poured+homeless/10797813/story.html

Tim Hortons has apologized after the owner of one of its downtown Vancouver location was seen dumping a bucket of water on a homeless man and his belongings.

The regretful action in a moment of frustration at one of our Vancouver locations is not at all reflective of our brand and restaurant owner values. On behalf of Tim Hortons we sincerely apologize. This owner is committed to personally apologizing and making amends with this individual,” Tim Hortons spokeswoman Michelle Robichaud said in an emailed statement.

Looks like Burger King is putting its own stamp on the chain already.