Bill Maher Destroys The Liberal Utopian Vision of Islam

Shady

As far as I'm aware genital mutilation is largely a Muslim thing. I believe the countries in north Africa which practice it all have substantial Muslim populations.

Except, you know, the ones that don't like Ethiopia. But then again, you're clever enough to use a meaningless word like "substantial" which you can qualify as whatever you want once you realize some of these are Christian majority countries.

Edited by cybercoma

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any information that sizable numbers of Christians in the world believe those who profane God should be executed? Or that sizable numbers of Christians in the world believe those who leave the religion should be executed?

Oh look. "Substantial" "Sizable"

Any other vagaries that you would like to toss around that make it easier to move the goalposts later?

riddle me this: the poll assumes a single meaning of Sharia across the world-wide Muslim complement, country-by-country... you've personally made reference to that particular nugget several times. Is it your understanding that single meaning poll summary assessment is accurate and representative?

And do you have a similar obsfuscating observation about the different definitions of EXECUTION across the Muslim world regarding people who choose to no longer embrace that faith?

Oh look. "Substantial" "Sizable"

Any other vagaries that you would like to toss around that make it easier to move the goalposts later?

Look, there are crazy people in every religion. I'm perfecty wlling to accept there might be some Christians somewhere who believe you should be executed if you stop being a Christian, even though I've never heard of any. But the numbers from the survey of Muslim attitudes range well up past 50% in most Muslim countries.

And do you have a similar obsfuscating observation about the different definitions of EXECUTION across the Muslim world regarding people who choose to no longer embrace that faith?

what obsfucation? I highlighted one aspect that the poll falsely projects upon. There are many variants of Sharia... that poll (your fav poll) simply chooses to identify a single interpretation, without distinction. There are other methodology problems with the poll; my earlier posts spoke to some of those. As I said, you're not interested in any legitimate scrutiny of that poll - of course not!

what obsfucation? I highlighted one aspect that the poll falsely projects upon. There are many variants of Sharia... that poll (your fav poll) simply chooses to identify a single interpretation, without distinction. There are other methodology problems with the poll; my earlier posts spoke to some of those. As I said, you're not interested in any legitimate scrutiny of that poll - of course not!

You're not interested in any legitimate scrutiny of the poll, yourself. You'e simply interested in making excuses to try and support the unsupportable. As I said, the poll is hardly unique. Do you deny the veracity of all surveys and polls ever taken in the Muslim world? Are you going to try and tel us Muslms, by and large, are very socially progressive people in terms of their support for equality and feminism? Of course not! BEcause you know that would be too ludicrous for even Cyber to support! But you and he will go on desperately trying to defend the retrograde attitudes inspired by Islam while at the same time attacking even a semblance of those attitudes when expressed by White people.

The soft liberal bigotry of low expectations at work again, I suspect.

The soft liberal bigotry of low expectations at work again, I suspect.

yes, there's a bigotry at play here and you're fueling it with that poll... and all its failings (that you could care less about since it meets the bar of your personal low expectations). Do you think you're actually using that phrase properly?

Longer than for Christian immigrants. MUCH, MUCH longer than for Christian immigrants from Europe.

Does that include Christian Arabs? Does that include Central African Christians? There are some people who would take one look at these folks and consider them Muslim without knowing a damn thing about them.

Isn't that what Shady is saying ? There are no Christian Arabs... therefore...

From what I understand, Arab is a racial group. Iranians is a Shia muslim country just like a majority in Iraq. But they're Persians not Arab.

Which is wrong because ?

Because Christianity is vibrant in many other parts of the world where whites aren't the dominants racial group.

From what I understand, Arab is a racial group. Iranians is a Shia muslim country just like a majority in Iraq. But they're Persians not Arab.

Correct.

Because Christianity is vibrant in many other parts of the world where whites aren't the dominants racial group.

But overall, it's likely true though right ? How can we say that people can generalize about one religion but not another ?

But overall, it's likely true though right ? How can we say that people can generalize about one religion but not another ?

I doubt it. Latin America, The Caribbean, lots of Africa, parts of Asia.

When I criticize parts of Islam I do it solely on doctrine/dogma and cultural level. Not racial.

Edited by Boges

I doubt it. Latin America, The Caribbean, lots of Africa, parts of Asia.

When I criticize parts of Islam I do it solely on doctrine/dogma and cultural level. Not racial.

Islam is not a culture. The culture of Central African Muslims is a lot different from the culture of Indian Muslims is a lot different from the culture of African American Muslims.

It's still a generalization, and further to that it extends "culture" on a single axis, ie. which religion somebody belongs to. We can find more commonalities with race than in religion in many examples yet people refuse to generalize about race for fear of being labelled as prejudice.

As I have posted, I even had a poster go off on me and complain to Charles that I was labeling him a racist when I pointed out similarities in generalizing about peoples.

Are there any minority religious groups in ANY majority Muslim country who don't face persecution?

I have no idea. I don't even know how I would begin to look that information up.

But it's another example of an observation that seems to answer a question, that doesn't answer the question. ie. "Does religion cause somebody to behave badly ?"