Ferguson unrest

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait. I'm wearing mine right now... Google Glass makes us into one true community... ;)

Let's not forget our pets too....sometimes they poop on somebody else's lawn !

I actually have security camera video of a dog stealing my newspaper.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Why would this be a bad thing?

Are you worried about a sudden surge in the numbers of black cops gunning down white joggers or something?

No.

After decades of trying to increase the percentage of minorities in the ranks, success has eluded them. Ask yourself why, when minimum requirements have been lowered, campaigns have been launched, and so on. Racism by the police academy instructors? Are the white students beating up the black ones, bullying and forcing them to quit? Just what is the issue?

No.

After decades of trying to increase the percentage of minorities in the ranks, success has eluded them. Ask yourself why, when minimum requirements have been lowered, campaigns have been launched, and so on. Racism by the police academy instructors? Are the white students beating up the black ones, bullying and forcing them to quit? Just what is the issue?

I'm certainly no expert but I notice a lot of experts keep pointing at systemic racism.

I know I know...I might as well be bringing up oil in a climate change thread.

Edited by eyeball

I'm thinking it had more to do with Brown's behavior. The good news is, that if not known before, everyone now knows that stealing, assulting an officer, and then trying to shoot him with his own gun could result in very negative consequences. Regardless of historical events 200 years ago. That goes for any sex, race, ethnicity, or religion/non-religion.

Edited by Shady

I'm certainly no expert but I notice a lot of experts keep pointing at systemic racism.

I know I know...I might as well be bringing up oil in a climate change thread.

Systemic racism? The schools and the instructors are keeping them down? Have you got any other theories?

I'm thinking that slavery and subjugation may have had some impacts too, but I'm sure that's a wild theory.

Ummm...no...that's the kind of patronizing and condescending thinking that will only get more Michael Browns shot dead.

Ok, well I'm all out of ideas as to why African-Americans continue to suffer poorer outcomes than other groups. Do you have any ?

Yes....stop categorizing people as a monolithic block of "African-Americans" for starters.

Maybe help those poor "white people" outcomes too.

Yes....stop categorizing people as a monolithic block of "African-Americans" for starters.

Why ? That's a distinguishable group that experiences common economic impacts, why shouldn't it be considered ?

We actually have many threads where "Muslims" are treated as a monolithic block, despite (as opposed to African-Americans) extremely diverse ethnic, geographic, and economic circumstances.

Maybe help those poor "white people" outcomes too.

Monolithic block of low-income Americans ?

They're not my theories, I'm just trying to make sense of them over the din of disdain they're surrounded with.

I'm not claiming they are yours. I'm asking if you have anything else. For instance, off the top of my head, it seems to me that minorities may not see policing as a desirable career.

Edited by sharkman

Why ? That's a distinguishable group that experiences common economic impacts, why shouldn't it be considered ?

Because it continues the same patronizing condescension and perpetuates a victim mindset and historical excuses. At least be consistent and give poor oppressed "white people" and other groups the same courtesy. Michael Brown made choices on that day, not the legacy of 150 year old slavery.

Because it continues the same patronizing condescension and perpetuates a victim mindset and historical excuses.

Ok, so you seem to be saying race is not a factor that should be considered ? Is that so ?

At least be consistent and give poor oppressed "white people" and other groups the same courtesy.

Sure, there is something important there too. There's such a thing as coming from the wrong neighbourhood for white people too.

Ok, so you seem to be saying race is not a factor that should be considered ? Is that so ?

Sure, there is something important there too. There's such a thing as coming from the wrong neighbourhood for white people too.

Yes...I am proposing that failed, race based metrics and solutions be updated for the reality of a far more diverse and dynamic population. "Race relations" in Canada are not peachy keen either, despite a smaller slavery legacy. It's more than just a "black and white" issue, so why stay stuck in that model ?

I'm not claiming they are yours. I'm asking if you have anything else.

No, I think they're probably pretty close to the mark. I don't think there's much doubt that widespread long-term systemic racism and abuse in the past has lingered well into the present. I mean look at how the effects of colonialism and imperialism in the region around the ME has persisted to this day and the way residential schools have left a lasting legacy of dysfunction in families and communities that were affected by it. And notice how the disdain for this sort of sentiment also seems to come from the same side of the political spectrum. Collectively rolling our eyes skyward and prescribing or insisting that people should just get over it all certainly doesn't seem to be working - any ideas on why that might be?

Edited by eyeball

We've talked about that at length here. The evidence overwhelmingly supported Wilson's side of events.

Blowin smoke smallc:

Finally, when the grand jury decision was delivered, and prosecutor Bob McCulloch gave his remarks before the documents were released, he confirmed that Brown had died 153 feet away from the SUV.

Yes...I am proposing that failed, race based metrics and solutions be updated for the reality of a far more diverse and dynamic population. "Race relations" in Canada are not peachy keen either, despite a smaller slavery legacy. It's more than just a "black and white" issue, so why stay stuck in that model ?

Not only smaller, but infinitesimally smaller, and mostly accomplished by aboriginal groups enslaving other aboriginal groups. Luckily we stayed with the Crown and abolished it long before the US. Most slaves in Canada were blacks who headed up along routes such as Hwy 61 to get the hell out of the US and into Canada. If you ever get the chance I suggest a trip along the "Blues Hwy" :good music and a bit of education as well.

Blowin smoke smallc:

Finally, when the grand jury decision was delivered, and prosecutor Bob McCulloch gave his remarks before the documents were released, he confirmed that Brown had died 153 feet away from the SUV.

Not from the officer.

Not only smaller, but infinitesimally smaller, and mostly accomplished by aboriginal groups enslaving other aboriginal groups. Luckily we stayed with the Crown and abolished it long before the US. Most slaves in Canada were blacks who headed up along routes such as Hwy 61 to get the hell out of the US and into Canada. If you ever get the chance I suggest a trip along the "Blues Hwy" :good music and a bit of education as well.

The Black slaves traveled along highways to Central Canada? I always thought they took subways to Eastern Canada.......learn something new everyday...