Football Penalties

Ravens running back Ray Rice was indicted on a third-degree assault charge after a physical incident with his soon-to-be-wife at an Atlantic City hotel. He knocked her out in an elevator. He is now married to her.

According to the Baltimore Sun and our NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, the NFL has suspended Rice for the first two games of the 2014 season and fined him an additional game paycheck.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24635625/report-ravens-rb-ray-rice-suspended-two-games-for-alleged-assault.

Some pundits feel that it is too lenient a punishment whiule others think it is too harsh. The typical suspension for illegal drug use is 4 games.

What do you think?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL seems to have a morality clause for players.

Steeler QB Ben Roethlisberger was suspend for 6 games for being accused of raping a girl. He was never charged.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5121614

I think the drug policy is meant to discourage using PEDs, but players using recreational drugs get caught up in it. Perhaps they should change it but using MJ is still a crime in most of the US.

Shouldn't have been suspended at all. Who cares what a player does off the field. All that matters is if he can help the team win.

I fully agree. The courts have decided the guilt and/or innocence and have imparted a penalty. I believe that assigning another penalty for the same event is double jeopardy.

North American governments treat professional sports as a business. What business would fine and penalize an employee for domestic violence?

A right hook to the jaw of your fiancé is never acceptable and should be discouraged and punished but that is the function of courts.

North American governments treat professional sports as a business. What business would fine and penalize an employee for domestic violence?

Lots of them. Especially if that employee has a large public image.

Donald Stern is being forced to sell his NBA team for saying something racist.

Edited by Boges

Yet the scum bag Micheal Vick gets a five million dollar deal and an endorsement contract from Nike after the atrocities he committed. That POS should have been shunned permanently for his crimes.

He served his time.

He showed remorse and has since been a model player.

Actually he didn't. The cruelty charges were dropped in a plea deal, he did his time for fraud, not what he did to those dogs. Do you even know what he did?

As for remorse, more bull. He has never once said he was sorry for what he did, just that he was sorry for the fraud and illegal gambling. In fact, quite recently he admitted that if he could he would fight dogs again. How's that for remorse? Yeah, he's a real effin role model for kids.

Do you know anything about dog fighting? Do you know what he personally did? Are you aware of the fact that most dog fighters are considered to be sociopaths? Yup, you keep excusing sub human pieces of scum like him, good on ya. Normal people rightly condemn him and his ilk for what they do.

If you look into what he did I doubt you'd be so willing to excuse him. Unless you think saying sorry (which he never did) excuses this behaviour. You know, taking dogs by their hind legs and repeatedly swinging them against walls, tree's or the ground until they die. Or drowning them by holding them upside down in a bucket of water. Or perhaps you prefer the "electric chair" you know, where he'd take an extension cord with two Alligator clips on the end of it then attach a clip to the dogs lip and the other to its tail and plug the cord in. At least the ones he shot died relatively quickly. Maybe we should talk about the Beagles he would use as bait dogs instead?

Yeah he's a sweetheart. Got pinched on fraud charges so all is forgiven now. I don't think so.

Fine don't forgive him. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a right ti make a living after serving what time he was given.

Lot's of people think Dog and Cock fighting are cultural things. I'm not going to exactly agree with that but he's been back in the league for several seasons without incident so I'm not going to condemn the league for letting him play again.

Well thanks for your permission to not forgive him, myself and millions of others wont. Sure he can make a living, he can go clean up dog shit. He shouldn't be given millions and his actions swept under the rug. But you go ahead and run the booster club for this scum bag.

As for dog and cock fighting. Lets just say they are primitive, cruel barbaric practises that should be eradicated. Or do you believe that as a species we should not evolve in our understanding and compassion for other living creatures?

Edited by AngusThermopyle

Well thanks for your permission to not forgive him, myself and millions of others wont. Sure he can make a living, he can go clean up dog shit. He shouldn't be given millions and his actions swept under the rug. But you go ahead and run the booster club for this scum bag.

Well he plays for my least favourite team now so I won't be boosting him.

As for dog and cock fighting. Lets just say they are primitive, cruel barbaric practises that should be eradicated. Or do you believe that as a species we should not evolve in our understanding and compassion for other living creatures?

As was already said, he served his time. You may not like it, but after somebody serves their time, they have the freedom to choose what and how they'd like to earn a living. He was offered a contract, and signed it. So be it.

And you may not like it but myself and millions of others will continue to condemn and not forget what this piece of walking talking garbage did. So be it.

And you have that right. Just like a football team has the right to offer him a contract.

I fully agree. The courts have decided the guilt and/or innocence and have imparted a penalty. I believe that assigning another penalty for the same event is double jeopardy.

So then, since Rob Ford has been absolved by the courts you don't think he should be punished by the electorate, right?

Lots of them. Especially if that employee has a large public image.

Donald Stern is being forced to sell his NBA team for saying something racist.

Canada Revenue Agency, and, I presume, other government departments and agencies, has a clause which allows for firing people who do things in their own life which could reflect badly on them. That's particularly so if you do something illegal which goes against them. Ie, if you cheat on your taxes you could be fired, in addition to whatever penalty the courts mete out.

Fine don't forgive him. Doesn't mean he doesn't have a right ti make a living after serving what time he was given.

Lot's of people think Dog and Cock fighting are cultural things.

Lots of people think female genital mutilation is a cultural thing too.

So then, since Rob Ford has been absolved by the courts you don't think he should be punished by the electorate, right?

It appears that your post is directed to me. I acknowledge that I have seen it. It would be impolite not to do so.

I personally find you an irritant and your recent posts meant to irritate.

Shooo. Go away. Buzz off.

Sorry, I am not interested in engaging in any dialogue with you or your opinions.

Until/if/when you change your approach I will be responding in this manner.

Have a nice day. :)

Lot's of people think Dog and Cock fighting are cultural things. I'm not going to exactly agree with that but he's been back in the league for several seasons without incident so I'm not going to condemn the league for letting him play again.

Human sacrifice and slavery were also cultural things.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. Your post is seriously nonsensical. Lots of businesses would cut ties with an employee facing serious criminal charges. By your logic, the Canadian Forces shouldn't have kicked out Russel Williams and stripped him of his rank and honours when he was convicted of murder.

A right hook to the jaw of your fiancé is never acceptable and should be discouraged and punished but that is the function of courts.

The NFL should also stop promoting causes like breast cancer awareness too. That's the job of charities.

The NFL should also stop promoting causes like breast cancer awareness too. That's the job of charities.

I think they're doing it for the charity. Debating how Breast Cancer Charity have sort of monopolized making things Pink inorder to raise money is either completely genius or really bad for other charities.

Yeah well they are. Can't really change that. It's ironic because it's one of the most violent sports ever but whatevs.

I know. My belief is a organization with that kind of reach and that big a pulpit (and that relies so heavily on taxpayers to fund their play palaces) has an obligation to be a leader on social issues. But when it comes to domestic violence, misogyny and other issues, the NFL is woefully behind.