Football Penalties

I know. My belief is a organization with that kind of reach and that big a pulpit (and that relies so heavily on taxpayers to fund their play palaces) has an obligation to be a leader on social issues. But when it comes to domestic violence, misogyny and other issues, the NFL is woefully behind.

They did suspend Rapisburger for 6 games. I don't remember Kobe getting suspended for anything.

The consensus from the Sports Talking Heads I listen to is that the Ray Rice suspension is too light. I believe there is another video that ads context to the issue and the woman pleaded that Rice was a good guy. AND this is the first time Rice has done anything wrong.

I'm not defending it, these are just reasons I've heard.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada Revenue Agency, and, I presume, other government departments and agencies, has a clause which allows for firing people who do things in their own life which could reflect badly on them. That's particularly so if you do something illegal which goes against them. Ie, if you cheat on your taxes you could be fired, in addition to whatever penalty the courts mete out.

Does this mean that the Pizza and Beer you get for helping your buddy move has to be declared as a taxable benefit or you can be fired? :D

Edited by Boges

• 1 month later...

Well, apparently the NFL shouldn't be in the business of social responsibility. At least according to poster Big Guy.

According to poster overthere, the NFL doesn't give a shit about social responsibility.

They are in the entertainment business in a very major way though, and they have to sometimes pretend they care what their employees do off camera because it might be unprofitable to do otherwise. Hence, the woeful, warbling cry of 'social responsibility'. I think we have heard that phrase here quite often lately, in threads with topics as apparently unrelated as the LCBO and teachers strikes.

Here is the name of the organization that really , really needs to study the business model of the extremely successful NFL: The Vatican.

According to poster overthere, the NFL doesn't give a shit about social responsibility.

They are in the entertainment business in a very major way though, and they have to sometimes pretend they care what their employees do off camera because it might be unprofitable to do otherwise. Hence, the woeful, warbling cry of 'social responsibility'. I think we have heard that phrase here quite often lately, in threads with topics as apparently unrelated as the LCBO and teachers strikes.

Here is the name of the organization that really , really needs to study the business model of the extremely successful NFL: The Vatican.

I think sports leagues do have a responsibility to try and ensure that their athletes, at least somewhat, portray a good public image.

They become role models to kids and that brings people into the fold. I like sports now because of players I idolized when I was a kid.

It's funny because my idol when I was young was Jose Canseco. It's known now that he's a trainwreck of a human being but we didn't know that when he was a star.

That's nothing...I saw Dennis Rodman intentionally kick a courtside cameraman in the nuts. Hilarious !

It was hilarious until you realized he really connected and hurt that poor man. The reason the Antonio Brown thing is hilarious because the Brown punter has a helmet and wasn't hurt. Still would be assault in the real world.

It was hilarious until you realized he really connected and hurt that poor man. The reason the Antonio Brown thing is hilarious because the Brown punter has a helmet and wasn't hurt. Still would be assault in the real world.

No, it was even hilarious after Rodman settled the case out of court (pun intended). The NFL, NBA, and NHL are not the real world.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

No, it was even hilarious after Rodman settled the case out of court (pun intended). The NFL, NBA, and NHL are not the real world.

So when you rail against violence in the NHL, you're just being a hypocrite and a troll.... I get it now....

Here's the thing about this. Sure Ray Rice is way wrong for doing what he did. He should have been charged (and he was) but was allowed to plead to a lesser charge. The NFL actually was the only organization that penalized him at all.

What did people think was on the video? Did she slip on a banana?

Now as for the wife. We as the public can't comment on whether she "actually" loves him or not. But she did marry him. Is it a case of beaten wife syndrome? Perhaps. But ruining their lives certainly hasn't made her life better by him being turfed from the league.

If she stayed with him for the money? Well that's gone now. If she leaves will it be because she's finally been liberated or will she be exposed as a Gold Digger.

These issues aren't black and white.

Edited by Boges

I must be part of the small minority who feel that the NFL over reacted. Professional football is a business.

We have a process to deal with people who break the law - the judicial system. The people in this system establish if/when a crime has been committed and decide upon and levy the appropriate penalty. If it felt he deserved to be kept from playing then it would sentence him to jail time.

I believe that any penalties applied, in addition to those by the judicial system, is double jeopardy.

There are all kinds of people in the public eye who break the law and are only punished once. Can anybody see the Screen Actors Guild applying additional penalties to movie stars who make mistakes?

If this guy knocked out the male elevator operator then the whole matter would have disappeared.

I must be part of the small minority who feel that the NFL over reacted. Professional football is a business.

We have a process to deal with people who break the law - the judicial system. The people in this system establish if/when a crime has been committed and decide upon and levy the appropriate penalty. If it felt he deserved to be kept from playing then it would sentence him to jail time.

I believe that any penalties applied, in addition to those by the judicial system, is double jeopardy.

There are all kinds of people in the public eye who break the law and are only punished once. Can anybody see the Screen Actors Guild applying additional penalties to movie stars who make mistakes?

If this guy knocked out the male elevator operator then the whole matter would have disappeared.

It's the delicious irony of this case. Roger Goddell is known for being punitive. A guy getting suspended a year for small amounts of weed. Big Ben gets 6 games for simply being accused of rape. (never charged) Fining and penalizing players for cheering after a touchdown.

But giving a guy a 2 game suspension might be what brings him down. If it is found out that he either saw the video or didn't do enough to try to obtain the video before passing down the suspension he'll be a gigantic hypocrite. The owners will have lost all confidence in him.

I believe that this has little to do with Rice or his wife but political correctness gone amuck again. The NFL has cowered to special interests and playing to improve the number of females watching their product. They have made no secret of the fact that they feel their male audience had topped out so they have switched their focus to catering to the ladies.

The NFL has decided to "help" Janay Rice by punishing her husband and removing her major source of income. :rolleyes:

This is how the "victim" Janay Rice feels from her statement made to-day;

"To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret everyday is a horrible thing. To take something away from the man I love that has worked his ass off for all his life just to gain ratings is horrific. THIS IS OUR LIFE!

Why don't you all get it? If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all the happiness away, you've succeeded in so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow and show the world what real love is! Ravenation, we love you!"

Yes sir, this added punishment will go a long way to encouraging other battered spouses and girlfriends of professional athletes to come forward.

Let the judicial system do its job and keep business from trying social engineering!

It's very sad that victims of abuse respond this way.

It's very sad that everyone is telling her how she should feel. Because she didn't leave him THEN, she's left to suffer now because her husband has been fired.

What would you say if she only stayed with him and married him for the money? Because that could easily be a factor here, no one knows.

It's very sad that victims of abuse respond this way.

I fully agree.

I believe that the problems begin with people with different agendas highjack an event and spin their position to take advantage of the victim.

I have seen recent responses to Janay's statement. They have varied from "She is obviously not capable of thinking straight" to "How can she be so selfish as to undermine all those other spouses who have been abused?"

That is why I try to make the point to leave the decision of guilt (and penalty) to the judicial system. Additional penalties applied by outside forces can (and in this case) has victimised the victim again.

Lets break this down and counter the double speak she engages in....

"To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret everyday is a horrible thing.

Sorry Honey, someone sold the video you so wanted hidden and then played it for all to see.

And besides, whats with this BS ' we regret'....are you saying you deserved it or what?

To take something away from the man I love that has worked his ass off for all his life just to gain ratings is horrific. THIS IS OUR LIFE!

Jail time would have taken it away too! Its a shame he isnt sitting in jail for pounding your face.

Why don't you all get it?

Read: I am a gold digger wanting my mans millions , so what if getting knocked out is part of it! Mama needs a new Gucci bag and hair extensions .....every week

If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all the happiness away, you've succeeded in so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow and show the world what real love is! Ravenation, we love you!"

Naw....you hurt yourself, embarassed yourself, lost all happiness pursuing the dollar and aboandoning all sense of worth all on your own time

But hey, now Ray Rice can always fall back on his college education. :lol::lol::lol:

I must be part of the small minority who feel that the NFL over reacted.

Probably

That applies only to law, so your belief is misguided at best.

Yes, they do it all the time.

It's OK to call her a Gold-Digger now that she's defended him.

To leave him now would be hypocritical. This happened awhile ago. She forgave him and married him, she's gotta stay with him now.

Do we have evidence that this isn't a one off? Or is it just assumed he beats her all the time?

Edited by Boges

Lets break this down and counter the double speak she engages in....

Sorry Honey, someone sold the video you so wanted hidden and then played it for all to see.

And besides, whats with this BS ' we regret'....are you saying you deserved it or what?

Jail time would have taken it away too! Its a shame he isnt sitting in jail for pounding your face.

Read: I am a gold digger wanting my mans millions , so what if getting knocked out is part of it! Mama needs a new Gucci bag and hair extensions .....every week

Naw....you hurt yourself, embarassed yourself, lost all happiness pursuing the dollar and aboandoning all sense of worth all on your own time

But hey, now Ray Rice can always fall back on his college education. :lol::lol::lol:

Wow, talking about victimising the victim!

Double Jeopardy

A second prosecution for the same offense after acquittal or conviction or multiple punishments for same offense

Yes, they do it all the time.

Could you please give me examples of how the Screen Actors Guild penalizes their members "all the time" for mistakes?

Edited by Big Guy