Wearable Tech: Will it catch on?

The current Google Glass looks ridiculous, but fit them into a design that looks like a regular pair of glasses or sunglasses (or more likely, a pair of glasses that can turn into any shade of sunglasses you want) where nobody could really notice you're using them unless they look very closely and they could sell well. Their potential is insane, i'd buy one if they lived up to potential.

Google is currently working with parent company of Ray-Ban and Oakley to create stylish glass options. http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/24/google-glass-ray-ban-oakley-luxottica/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems inevitable. The funny thing is that most human beings already have a deeply ingrained and enculturated sense they're being monitored all the time, by God.

i suspect the trend will be to wear one yourself as some form of protection so you'll have a record of things from your perspective in the event you're called to account for something. I expect governments everywhere will outlaw personal wearable recording devices anywhere near or in their domain. I guess a whole new multi-billion dollar industry will spring up around the development of recording and spying devices and counter-measures to these. I'm hoping we'll see some sort of underground movement of ethical engineer/hackers sic tiny surveillance robots on the government myself.

I can see how my property might go up in value given how private and out of the way it is. These will be huge premiums soon.

Edited by eyeball

I just don't want everyone out in public wearing these things.

When it comes to people being able to take pictures and video without anyone's knowledge, neither do I.

It seems inevitable. The funny thing is that most human beings already have a deeply ingrained and enculturated sense they're being monitored all the time, by God.

i suspect the trend will be to wear one yourself as some form of protection so you'll have a record of things from your perspective in the event you're called to account for something. I expect governments everywhere will outlaw personal wearable recording devices anywhere near or in their domain. I guess a whole new multi-billion dollar industry will spring up around the development of recording and spying devices and counter-measures to these. I'm hoping we'll see some sort of underground movement of ethical engineer/hackers sic tiny surveillance robots on the government myself.

We may see new laws/regulations spring up, like maybe such a device would need to have a red light go on to indicate a picture or video is being taken. It's pretty scary to think that eventually in the near future we could all be recorded much of the time whenever we're out in public.

I suspect there will also be those who find it very comforting.

Only those that want to monitor everyone else. Google Glass is connected to the net. Susceptible to hacking. It's not just the person in front of you with the Glass that is watching you.

I completely understand your concern with the Google Glass. The one thing that will be great with that kind of tech is for assisting work. An auto technician can pull up and overlay information in his view while working on a vehicle. Not having to look in manual then back to the car, then back to the manual. This should really reduce the time it takes to repair a vehicle. Home repairs, fix your sink while watching a how to video through the glasses.

Or fix it while someone else is looking on through the glasses and telling you exactly what to do as you do it.

How about power for dreaming implants?

Hey, get the hell out of my head! Damn hackers.

That is the future of tech. Your 'device' will be iplanted under your skin and in direct communication with your brainwaves. It will 'see' everything your brain sees, experience everything you brain experiences (sight, sound, touch, taste), and record it all. It will allow direct communication with the internet, and allow you to 'see' whatever it has recorded as if it was right in front of you. Virtual reality will never be more real than when your device feeds sights, sounds, scents and images directly to your brain.

A lot of research is going on right now into direct interface between the electric impulses of our brains and computers. Obviously what I describe above is a century or so away, but it's clearly where we're headed

Edited by Argus

These watches (and Google Glass for that matter) don't interest me at all yet. Everyone will be making them though. They don't want to get behind if it does happen to take off. If there was a stand-alone watch, I might be interested. However it doesn't look like text messaging would be much fun on the thing. Texting by voice is lousy. So I guess even if there was a stand-alone that didn't require syncing to a phone, I still wouldn't care about it.

AKA The Matrix

The Matrix didn't invent that concept. There have been a variety of SF uses of it, including one of the best Star Trek TNG episodes which featured Picard living an entire life on another world among a long-dead people, while only minute passed as he lay unconscious on the bridge.

But I wasn't speaking of anything quite that complicated -- though I believe that can one day happen. Integrating a computer, including its memory and internet capabilities, with the human brain will be far easier and take place far sooner.

• 1 month later...

I guess I've always been more utilitarian with my watch selection so I'm not super concerned with their appearance. An ugly smart watch would be fine by me if it had functionality useful to me. With that said, I don't think this technology is particularly useful yet. My phone is always likely to be close at hand and the ~1 second it saves me to not have to pull it out of my pocket and check it is not worth an extra device. The heart rate monitor is nice for exercise but I already have a Mio Link bracelet for when I need that.. and I have an altimeter/barometer/thermometer/compass/watch as my normal watch and it's of course very useful for my outdoor activities.

If I could press a button on my smart watch and it would pop out a 4+ inch screen and had all (or most) of the capabilities of my smartphone I'd look into it. Still a few years out from the screen technology to do that though probably.

Wrist extensions of smart phones may appeal to many of the walking dead zombies I encounter each day, oblivious to their surroundings. I don't own a "smart phone", but apparently many who do must constantly interact with it for reasons that escape me. Perhaps a wrist worn extension can free up some hands/eyes/ears...last week, we had a woman walk into the path of an oncoming train while "interacting" with her smartphone. She doesn't need it anymore.

I don't own a "smart phone", but apparently many who do must constantly interact with it for reasons that escape me.

Many of us use our smart phones to conduct business. If you don't understand the benefits of a smart phone, then you clearly don't need it and I can understand why it escapes you.

Many of us use our smart phones to conduct business. If you don't understand the benefits of a smart phone, then you clearly don't need it and I can understand why it escapes you.

Do you conduct business every waking minute ? In the parking lot....elevator.....restaurant.....restroom....park....doctor's office....driving...etc. ???

I conduct business away from my office/laptop. I need my smartphone!

Easy there...nobody is going to take away your smartphone. I merely suggested that the walking dead may find some utility in a wrist worn extension of their pacifier...err...smartphone. I have learned to accept heated conversations coming from the adjacent rest room stall while I give birth to another smartphone.

Easy there...nobody is going to take away your smartphone. I merely suggested that the walking dead may find some utility in a wrist worn extension of their pacifier...err...smartphone. I have learned to accept heated conversations coming from the adjacent rest room stall while I give birth to another smartphone.

That's not what you asked, nor what you suggested.