Wearable Tech: Will it catch on?

Is this the next frontier in cool tech or is it the next 3DTV?

I'm not talking virtual reality, that type of tech is in its infancy and not widely available for consumers yet.

I'm not even really talking about Google Glasses either. I pray that tech doesn't become mainstream. I don't really want everyone walking around with glasses that can record anything and everything they see. At least with you're cell phone you are obviously taping someone with those things.

The new push for wearable tech are watches that pair with your smartphone. Honestly I have two relatively nice stainless steel watches, I haven't worn them out in years, they're batteries are dead and I don't feel the need to replace them because everywhere I go I carry a phone that tells me the time.

Watches are fashion accessories mostly anyway.

All major tech developers are coming out with smart watches, and considering what someone would be willing to spend for a nice "real watch" the prices aren't bad.

They can go from anywhere from $150-$300.

Android has not come out with their own "Android Wear" site where you can download apps tailored to Smartwatches.

http://www.android.com/wear/

Rumour is that eventually Apple will come out with some sort of iWatch. Which again proves they're way behind the curve.

Does anyone see the benefit in these types of tech's? A lot of the benefits are in fitness, but also convenience (you don't have to pull a phone out of your pocket). And they aren't all that ugly.

At the price point, I've been tempted to try one out. Then again, I have yet to meet someone wearing one.

Have you?

Edited by Boges

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that smart watches will extend the convenience of smartphones. I too stopped wearing my traditional watch when the batteries ran out, but it would be nice to check the time without taking out my phone. It would also be nice to see notifications, texts and reminders right on my wrist. Going forward they will be handy for NFC payment options as services like Google Wallet become mainstream in stores. I'd also like to see security options tweaked for smart watch/phone pairings. If I do pull out my phone I'd like it to automatically log in if my watch is in close proximity. The same process will also be useful for interacting with other devices, like starting cars, unlocking doors, etc.

Smart watches that last a year and you have to replace them because they're broken or outdated? No thanks.

My Tissot has lasted 2 decades. But watches are also for fashion, not just function.

It would be absolutely awful to see texts and emails on my wrist on an ugly piece of plastic.

Edited by The_Squid

I'm not even really talking about Google Glasses either. I pray that tech doesn't become mainstream. I don't really want everyone walking around with glasses that can record anything and everything they see. At least with you're cell phone you are obviously taping someone with those things.

I completely understand your concern with the Google Glass. The one thing that will be great with that kind of tech is for assisting work. An auto technician can pull up and overlay information in his view while working on a vehicle. Not having to look in manual then back to the car, then back to the manual. This should really reduce the time it takes to repair a vehicle. Home repairs, fix your sink while watching a how to video through the glasses.

But thinking about it, we are already glassed. Cameras on every cell phone, CCTV in businesses and cities. Cameras can be so small that I could wear one and you would not even notice.

Some tech is nice and some is not so nice. Not sure if smart watches will take off. I don't see many wearing watches at all.

I completely understand your concern with the Google Glass. The one thing that will be great with that kind of tech is for assisting work. An auto technician can pull up and overlay information in his view while working on a vehicle. Not having to look in manual then back to the car, then back to the manual. This should really reduce the time it takes to repair a vehicle. Home repairs, fix your sink while watching a how to video through the glasses.

But thinking about it, we are already glassed. Cameras on every cell phone, CCTV in businesses and cities. Cameras can be so small that I could wear one and you would not even notice.

Some tech is nice and some is not so nice. Not sure if smart watches will take off. I don't see many wearing watches at all.

This satirical video exhibits why people who would choose to buy $1,500 interactive glasses are tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3_3oeDX1uk

I like that smart watches will extend the convenience of smartphones. I too stopped wearing my traditional watch when the batteries ran out, but it would be nice to check the time without taking out my phone. It would also be nice to see notifications, texts and reminders right on my wrist. Going forward they will be handy for NFC payment options as services like Google Wallet become mainstream in stores. I'd also like to see security options tweaked for smart watch/phone pairings. If I do pull out my phone I'd like it to automatically log in if my watch is in close proximity. The same process will also be useful for interacting with other devices, like starting cars, unlocking doors, etc.

I hesitate here. Much of our tech is really insecure. So in the case of a smart watch unlocking your home, someone could hack in. Leaving no physical trace at all of entry (broken door, glass ect). I really am hesitant on the connectivity of the tech. And in a power outage, that tech becomes quite useless. Leaving you out in the cold, because you cannot open the smarthome door with your smart watch. Hopefully you still have a physical key!. The other possibility is complete identity theft, so you are denied entry into your home by a hacker. If it's ll 1s and 0s it can be manipulated.

I love technology, but this totally connected society is something we really do not need.

But on wearable tech, we have been doing that for a long time, Watches, eye glasses, it is technology but not in how we think of it in a modern context of computers and technology.

Overall I really hope it does not catch on. With that built into clothing, you could see people with LED type clothing that constantly changes colour or something really annoying like that. Watch the fashion sector to take this on first.

I hesitate here. Much of our tech is really insecure. So in the case of a smart watch unlocking your home, someone could hack in. Leaving no physical trace at all of entry (broken door, glass ect). I really am hesitant on the connectivity of the tech. And in a power outage, that tech becomes quite useless. Leaving you out in the cold, because you cannot open the smarthome door with your smart watch. Hopefully you still have a physical key!. The other possibility is complete identity theft, so you are denied entry into your home by a hacker. If it's ll 1s and 0s it can be manipulated.

I love technology, but this totally connected society is something we really do not need.

But on wearable tech, we have been doing that for a long time, Watches, eye glasses, it is technology but not in how we think of it in a modern context of computers and technology.

Overall I really hope it does not catch on. With that built into clothing, you could see people with LED type clothing that constantly changes colour or something really annoying like that. Watch the fashion sector to take this on first.

I believe most, if not all Smartphones use Bluetooth. People pair their phones using Bluetooth all the time. A simple password would work to secure the phones, similar to Wifi. Who doesn't use Wifi because they're worried about security, most new technology only works with Wifi.

A great way to ensure security would be NFC. Phones will, hopefully, soon be able to make payments using NFC soon. Then only way someone would be able to hack a smartwatch using NFC would be if they were standing next to you.

I believe most, if not all Smartphones use Bluetooth. People pair their phones using Bluetooth all the time. A simple password would work to secure the phones, similar to Wifi. Who doesn't use Wifi because they're worried about security, most new technology only works with Wifi.

I avoid using wifi for the most part.

A great way to ensure security would be NFC. Phones will, hopefully, soon be able to make payments using NFC soon. Then only way someone would be able to hack a smartwatch using NFC would be if they were standing next to you.

If your smartwatch is wifi, then it can be hacked from anywhere. We are living in an ever connected society which is going to cause cascading issues. We see hackings daily. And if I can get into your bank account, then your ability to make a payment through the tech is no longer an option. One does not need to stand beside you to hack it.

I've also seen some wacky stuff with Bluetooth and pairing. One example is a bluetooth headset used for voice recognition to the voice pack wearable computer. A test was done to see how they would work. In some cases when two workers passed by each other, their headsets would switch pairing to another device. Even when the hardware was set for it and the software back end was set for it. This caused lots of problems when building pallets for delivery. When your headset switches to the other device, you are now on a different order. The pilot project was canned and they continue to this day with wired headsets.

Each point of wifi entry, through your standard 802.*s, bluetooth ect are all not as secure as you think. And with the notion of a kill switch where the government can control things in a crisis, all your tech becomes useless.

I do not trust wifi.

Is this the next frontier in cool tech or is it the next 3DTV?

I think it be worth asking why 3DTV failed.

Personally, I think it is lack of broadcast content (i.e. not games or blue-ray). Also, I think viewing habits are changing. People care less about picture quality and more about convenience (internet streaming to a portable device).

I think the question will come down to whether people can do things more easily with a smart watch than with a smart phone. I don't think the incremental benefit will be large enough for most people.

I think it be worth asking why 3DTV failed.

Personally, I think it is lack of broadcast content (i.e. not games or blue-ray). Also, I think viewing habits are changing. People care less about picture quality and more about convenience (internet streaming to a portable device).

I think the question will come down to whether people can do things more easily with a smart watch than with a smart phone. I don't think the incremental benefit will be large enough for most people.

That and having to buy stupid glasses.

We'll see the problems with 4KTV. Who's going to buy one of those before there's a TSN4K or CTV4K?

Smartwatches are being sold at a decent price point so cost isn't an issue. They make it so you don't have to reach into your pocket everytime you get a notification.

The two big problems I have with them is battery and how do you imput information. I have enough problems typing on a smartphone, how am I going to type on a watch? I have enough problems ensuring my smartphone can get to the end of the day with enough juice, I really don't want to have to plug in my watch every day too.

I don't even care if I can type on a smart watch, just being able to view texts, emails and notifications would be great. I think putting cameras, etc. into them is overkill. Though, if they catch on I'm sure there will be a range of options and styles available at varying price points.

My Galaxy 4 lasts almost 2 days on a charge so I doubt the battery life of a watch will be an issue considering the small screen and low processing power. Charging multiple devices can be an issue. I suspect we'll see more charging station and wireless charging products start to appear.

I don't even care if I can type on a smart watch, just being able to view texts, emails and notifications would be great. I think putting cameras, etc. into them is overkill. Though, if they catch on I'm sure there will be a range of options and styles available at varying price points.

My Galaxy 4 lasts almost 2 days on a charge so I doubt the battery life of a watch will be an issue considering the small screen and low processing power. Charging multiple devices can be an issue. I suspect we'll see more charging station and wireless charging products start to appear.

Even every 2 days is a pain. The point of a watch is to be something you put on and not worry about it.

Well unlike Apple who have their own charger, all other mobile tech uses Micro USB so they're easy to come by. We have a charger on each night table one in each car and my new tablet/computer uses Micro USB so I have 2 in the Living room plus the ability to dock on a bluetooth speaker.

But still it's a pain. ;)

I really don't want to have to plug in my watch every day too.

This will likely be the killer. My current watch lasts for years on the same battery and there is no way these smart watches will compete. I would be surprised if they last much longer than a smart phone with cell features disabled. Edited by TimG

Even every 2 days is a pain. The point of a watch is to be something you put on and not worry about it.

But still it's a pain. ;)

Agreed. I even hate having to plug my phone in at night. I can't wait for wireless resonance charging to advance a little more. It would be nice if anything in the vicinity of my night table just started charging. Maybe my watch could just charge, on my wrist, while I sleep.

A lot of non-smart watches these days that are used for sports, recreation, or just normal day to day use have small built in solar panels to keep them charged. My watch is 6 years old and has never run out of batteries and it's got a lot of battery-eating functions besides telling time: atomic time signal receiver, altimeter, thermometer, etc. If smart watch battery usage can be cut down enough they could stay charged using similar methods.

In regards to google glasses or similar technologies... people misunderstand them. These things aren't for hanging out with your friends or going to social events. They are for work and productivity, or for specific activities, for which they are all very useful. Look at a pile of screws and having an overlay of their thread size and pitch. Look at an electronic part and have it tell you what it is and its part number and let you instantly pull up its datasheet on your smartphone or a nearby computer. Look at a resistor with the color bands indicating resistance value and have your glasses interpret that for you and display the R value. Have it in your sunglasses while you're hiking and have it tell you your altitude and orientation, or overlay names of peaks/landmarks while you look around. Have it while you're skiing and have it tell you your speed, your distance traveled, etc. Lots of specific uses in specifics applications.

These devices won't compete with your standard wrist watch. These will be worn by techies who have to have the latest gizmo and want to check email without having to dig for a phone in their pocket. It's goofy to me.... But I'm just old I guess.

These devices won't compete with your standard wrist watch. These will be worn by techies who have to have the latest gizmo and want to check email without having to dig for a phone in their pocket. It's goofy to me.... But I'm just old I guess.

Old enough to remember not needing to check your email period? Or having an email address? OH how did we survive. :D

Old enough to remember not needing to check your email period? Or having an email address? OH how did we survive. :D

Want to hear something really crazy? My cell phone is JUST a cell phone!!!! :o

The range in cost for mobile data is unbelievable. I use Wind Mobile at the moment and get unlimited voice, text and data for $30 per month. Whenever, I go to the US I can add unlimited roaming talk, text and data to my plan for about $3.50 per week. Carriers like Rogers can charge $60+ per month for data plans limited to just a few gigs. Granted Wind is only a viable option for people living in or near the GTA.

Agreed. I even hate having to plug my phone in at night. I can't wait for wireless resonance charging to advance a little more. It would be nice if anything in the vicinity of my night table just started charging. Maybe my watch could just charge, on my wrist, while I sleep.

How about power for dreaming implants?

Hey, get the hell out of my head! Damn hackers.

In regards to google glasses or similar technologies... people misunderstand them. These things aren't for hanging out with your friends or going to social events. They are for work and productivity, or for specific activities, for which they are all very useful.

I agree Google Glass etc. has many work uses, but I also think they have huge social and recreational use as well. I think they can just be damned useful for just about anything. The current Google Glass looks ridiculous, but fit them into a design that looks like a regular pair of glasses or sunglasses (or more likely, a pair of glasses that can turn into any shade of sunglasses you want) where nobody could really notice you're using them unless they look very closely and they could sell well. Their potential is insane, i'd buy one if they lived up to potential. They could easily replace smartphones and tablets, do virtually everything they can do and more. Simply imagine a user interface where virtual screens and keyboards/buttons were projected in front of your view or onto any surface and the possibilities are exciting. I would absolutely invest in this technology because in 10 years they could be as widespread as smartphones are now.

Edited by Moonlight Graham