A Muslim immigrant's letter to South Vancouver MP Wai Young's

A quarter of a million people immigrate to Canada every year, more or less. The process is certainly time-consuming and filled with bureacracy, but it seems to me there's stuff here we're not seeing. Most pertinently, what in particular about this file, about this individual, is causing the government, or at least, the bureacracy, some concern? I mean, either we determine this is the standard, and so far as I'm aware it is not, or there's something someone in the government considers to be... different.

I mean, why would the office of Wai Young, presumably, these people's MP, suggest giving up on the application? Why is it being held up? There has to be a reason? If it's just a red tape mess, well, MPs offices are generally pretty good at kicking things free. If it's a security issue, ie, the individual is suspected of something (sympathy for sikh terrorism?) that would be a different matter.

Although I agree the determination should not take five years. The application should either have been accepted or rejected by now.

That is my point exactly. Either accept or reject the application, though there is no plausible reason for it to be rejected. My beef is that I should at least be told WHAT is going on.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you put it that way, it all sounds Kafkaesque. Perhaps we should consider making the process more transparent for everyone's sake.Thank

Thank you. That is my point: please make the process more transparent. If there is some concern about my file, well then take action on it. Reject my application, let me appeal and let a judge decide the matter. And another point I'd like to make is this: I've live in the U.S. for almost 15 years before immigrating. If there were something remotely suspicious about me, do you really think the U.S. government would renew my passport for another 10 years? Or the FBI would send a letter attesting to my clean record?

I think that what has happened is similar to what happened to the Japanese during the Second World War, though on a much more humane scale. I am not comparing the internment of the Japanese during that time to my treatment. So please don't go off on that. But, what I am saying is that 50 or a 100 years from now, you can bet that they'll be apologizing for the mistreatment of hundreds of law abiding Muslims through no fault of their own.

My case is clear: I have NEVER done anything remotely illegal. I've live in the West all my life. First in England then in the U.S. and now in Canada. This is a classic example of 'well public opinion is on our side, public fear and mistrust of Muslims is on our side, no one is going to stand up for them, so we can just screw them over to our heart's content.'

To those of you not on the receiving end of this I cannot even begin to describe how hurtful it is. It's as if you've been stabbed in the back by those you trust and think will look out for you. You have to understand: I'm 40 years old with 3 children. I had a life before those criminals did what they did on September 11th. I used to think I was a American or Canadian before. I don't now. I know I'm a 2nd class citizen in many ways.

Edited by hardworker786

If what you're saying is true, hardworker, I'm sorry the government has given you the run-around. You deserve some kind of update on the progress of your application and some basic service. I once had to get a refund from Canada Customs on an over-charge and it took years.

I'd try calling some immigration law firms and maybe you can get some very quick and basic advice from them for free over the phone (like who to call), or keep contacting different MP's in your area.

I tried that. The minute you mention your background and security background check they quickly lose interest. Its almost as if they know the deal. No accountability means that a free consultation is not going to solve the issue. I wish I could afford a Johnny Cocharin or something. :) I would love to have a high price lawyer kick their butts. THAT would get the govt's attention pronto.

Comparing the situation of Muslims to Japanese internment is asinine. Also, I have seen no evidence of any wrongdoing by Canada from the OP. It could be a bureaucratic red tape nightmare, but nothing has been provided to make me think it is a targeting of Muslim immigrants. Thousands still manage to get in every year.

Maybe stay in the USA or try another country if Canada is not to your satisfaction.

Increased share of recent immigrants were Muslim, Hindu, Sikh and Buddhist

People who reported Muslim, Hindu, Sikh and Buddhist had a smaller presence in Canada. Among these groups, Muslim was the largest. In 2011, just over 1 million individuals identified themselves as Muslim on the NHS. They represented 3.2% of the nation's total population, up from 2.0% recorded in the 2001 Census.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/as-sa/99-010-x/99-010-x2011001-eng.cfm

Comparing the situation of Muslims to Japanese internment is asinine. Also, I have seen no evidence of any wrongdoing by Canada from the OP. It could be a bureaucratic red tape nightmare, but nothing has been provided to make me think it is a targeting of Muslim immigrants. Thousands still manage to get in every year.

Maybe stay in the USA or try another country if Canada is not to your satisfaction.

Wow.

Squid, go re-read his posts.

Maybe Squid works for the MP's office ? This is the kind of offhand remark that strikes one as a little mean, if you don't mind my saying.

I don't mind you saying at all.... I don't mean to come across as "mean", but I am certainly skeptical.

It's not surprising that a MPs office would act in a rude fashion to someone who is not only not a constituent, but not even a Canadian. Any dealings that I have had trying to resolve issues at the local MPs office have not been pleasant. If it isn't an issue that will affect votes or cause a scene by getting to the media, the MPs office will be much less likely to help.

"Foreign Muslim has issue with Harper government immigration policy" is not likely to generate much interest, let alone advocacy, from a MP...

I thought that one of the claims in the post was that the MP office staff were somewhat callous.

Which is one of the reasons I'm wondering. My experience is quite the reverse. They don't just tell you to forget about it, not unless they've been banging their heads against a wall for a while and see no signs of cracking - or are jerks. And departments don't ignore MPs, especially government MPs who can raise issues in caucus, unless the people up top are pretty sure they can explain themselves to the minister to his satisfaction.

Edited by Argus

I think that what has happened is similar to what happened to the Japanese during the Second World War, though on a much more humane scale. I am not comparing the internment of the Japanese during that time to my treatment. So please don't go off on that. But, what I am saying is that 50 or a 100 years from now, you can bet that they'll be apologizing for the mistreatment of hundreds of law abiding Muslims through no fault of their own.

The thing is, we let lots of Muslims immigrate to Canada every year. A Muslim from the US married to a non-Muslim should not present any issues on its own.

I seriously doubt they are targeting you simply because you are a Muslim or they'd be targeting all Muslims, which they clearly aren't. There has to be something particular to you and your history.

I don't mind you saying at all.... I don't mean to come across as "mean", but I am certainly skeptical.

It's not surprising that a MPs office would act in a rude fashion to someone who is not only not a constituent, but not even a Canadian. Any dealings that I have had trying to resolve issues at the local MPs office have not been pleasant. If it isn't an issue that will affect votes or cause a scene by getting to the media, the MPs office will be much less likely to help.

You are forgetting he's living in that constituency and married to a Canadian citizen who also presumably lives in that constituency. Thus he is a constituent. It might help, however, if his wife, who is a citizen and voter, calls on his behalf, though.

The only other suggestion I would have is, presuming he hasn't done it already, bypass the local constituency office and call the MPs Ottawa office directly. I'm given to understand it can be hard to get through these days. Unlike in my mom's day, MPs now use their office budget to employ people like speechwriters and researchers to make themselves look good instead of just admin assistants who deal with constituent problems. That means the admin there are more overworked than they used to be.

Edited by Argus

The thing is, we let lots of Muslims immigrate to Canada every year. A Muslim from the US married to a non-Muslim should not present any issues on its own.

I seriously doubt they are targeting you simply because you are a Muslim or they'd be targeting all Muslims, which they clearly aren't. There has to be something particular to you and your history.

You are forgetting he's living in that constituency and married to a Canadian citizen who also presumably lives in that constituency. Thus he is a constituent. It might help, however, if his wife, who is a citizen and voter, calls on his behalf, though.

The only other suggestion I would have is, presuming he hasn't done it already, bypass the local constituency office and call the MPs Ottawa office directly. I'm given to understand it can be hard to get through these days. Unlike in my mom's day, MPs now use their office budget to employ people like speechwriters and researchers to make themselves look good instead of just admin assistants who deal with constituent problems. That means the admin there are more overworked than they used to be.

Both sensible posts and a good suggestion in the second one.

I gotta back up Squid in this instance. I'm highly skeptical, as well as kind of repulsed by somebody comparing a delayed permenant resident application to Japanese internment. I'm beginning to understand why there might be said delay in this particular individual's application.

Any dealings that I have had trying to resolve issues at the local MPs office have not been pleasant. If it isn't an issue that will affect votes or cause a scene by getting to the media, the MPs office will be much less likely to help.

That's surprising to me. I would hope that they would be a little nicer than that.

So you seem to be saying the behavior isn't normal, and Squid says it is. You suspect that there's something else at work here.

I'm not saying it's not possible someone in the office can be a jerk. Hey, you're talking about thousands of people working for hundreds of MPs. Some of them are going to suck. But handling immigration matters is bread and butter to MPs staff. They get calls on them every day. That's particularly so in areas like Vancouver. As long as you're reasonably pleasant they ought to be more than willing to see what's holding things up.

Edited by Argus

I gotta back up Squid in this instance. I'm highly skeptical, as well as kind of repulsed by somebody comparing a delayed permenant resident application to Japanese internment. I'm beginning to understand why there might be said delay in this particular individual's application.

What are you skeptical about? Maybe I can clear it up. I wasn't comparing my situation to Japanese internment. I thought I made that abundantly clear in the original post. And, as I have said numerous times, and you seem to conveniently ignore, I just want an answer. Yes or no. I'm not asking for special favors. Haul me before an immigration judge and lets hash this out. But, don't leave me hanging. I have NEVER done anything remotely illegal my entire life. Your skepticism is unwarranted.

Frankly, I am repulsed by someone who doesn't have the empathy that every human being should have for another human being. And, I'm repulsed by the fact that you think waiting five years or some kind of resolution to a simple PR application is a "delay." I'm skeptical of your dubious claims to neutrality. As I've said repeatedly, I want an answer. Yes or no. Why is my application being held up indefinitely with no explanation?

Edited by hardworker786

Frankly, I am repulsed by someone who doesn't have the empathy that every human being should have for another human being. And, I'm repulsed by the fact that you think waiting five years or some kind of resolution to a simple PR application is a "delay." I'm skeptical of your dubious claims to neutrality. As I've said repeatedly, I want an answer. Yes or no. Why is my application being held up indefinitely with no explanation?

Frankly I am not surprised by;

1- your assumption people must accept what you say verbatum as the only version of events and facts as to what has happened to you;

2-your unsubstantiated allegation that you are the victim of a security delay and that this delay has only arisen because you are Muslim;

3- your assumption you can impugn the morality, opinions, feelings or motives of people you do not know if they can't be controlled to respond in the manner you demand.

Edited by Rue

Frankly I am not surprised by your attempts to manipulate your audience with the above comments.

Frankly I think your assumption people should accept your version fo what has happened is a manifestation of you engaging in an exercise to limit and control the information you wish people to consider and therefore the opinion you with them to give back to you.

If you in fact have legal issues, go to an immigration lawyer.

I think your campaign to engage in poltiically partisan comments and make allegations on this forum about things no one can ascertain other than through your written word is pointless.

You repeatedly do the same in threads that thankfully no longer are created by your nemesis.

Thank you. That is my point: please make the process more transparent. If there is some concern about my file, well then take action on it. Reject my application, let me appeal and let a judge decide the matter. And another point I'd like to make is this: I've live in the U.S. for almost 15 years before immigrating. If there were something remotely suspicious about me, do you really think the U.S. government would renew my passport for another 10 years? Or the FBI would send a letter attesting to my clean record?

Are you in Canada or the US now?

If in the US, what Canadian consulate? Embassy in Washington?

Have you had your interview yet?

Your sponsor is the one who should be writing your MP. Also get your sponsor to go to your MP's office in person.

Your MP's party affiliation also makes a difference.

Good luck!

WWWTT

What an immigration worker will tell you is that there has been a few cases where the immigrating spouse has jumped ship once they got into Canada. Or they'll tell you about the fraudulent cases.

WWWTT

Which is pretty reasonable. It's not like you're demanding a yes. You just want to know either way and five years is way too long.