A Muslim immigrant's letter to South Vancouver MP Wai Young's

Yes it does. Ask any immigration official. When I came to Vancouver in 2009, I did so as a U.S. citizen on an automatic 6 month visa. I phoned CIC customer service and asked them explicitly: Can I apply for a PR card? They said yes you can, so long as you don't overstay your visit visa. Technically, I could have applied after the 6 month period as well. So, in a nutshell, I was legally eligible to applying for PR. It is called an "in state application." I have a valid driver's licence, a health care card (which expires when my open work permit expires and has to be renewed annually) etc. I am fully legal here. I am just waiting on my PR card, which should have arrived in 2011.

Yes I'm aware of the "in state" process.

But you had to apply for a work permit at the same time.

WWWTT

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the comparison is inappropriate given we have yet to establish that the delay is due to your being a Muslm. Tens of thousands of Muslims immigrate to Canada every year. I haven't heard that they all have to wait 5 years for a background check, so there seems to be something particular about you. Mind you, that could be something as simple as you having the same name as someone else on a watch list. But that's the sort of thing MPs offices are supposed to clear up.

Ok fair enough. But, even if that is the case, I should be told, given some kind of resolution etc.

Yes I'm aware of the "in state" process.

But you had to apply for a work permit at the same time.

WWWTT

Oh that's right. Yes I did. But it was folded into the whole process. Sorry I see your point now. It was part of the application package. I do have a valid work permit. It's what gives me a legal status in Canada if you will.

Oh that's right. Yes I did. But it was folded into the whole process. Sorry I see your point now. It was part of the application package. I do have a valid work permit. It's what gives me a legal status in Canada if you will.

So did they tell you that your application for permanent residence was approved?

WWWTT

Unfortunately you are having to deal with a government that seems to be anti immigration.

Drivel. The Tories always had more minorities in caucus than any other party, and have increased immigration. Apparently not even the fact that the MP in question WAS an immigrants eems to have clued you in.

Edited by Argus

Unfortunately you are having to deal with a government that seems to be anti immigration.

I don't know man. I just want some resolution. Even criminals deserve resolution. Don't just leave someone hanging. It is really really inhumane. Its as if the govt. doesn't want to give it to me, but knows there's no plausible reason for not doing so. So, they just pretend its not there. It sucks. In the meantime, they keep renewing my work permit, because they know if I'm illegal I would have to appear in court, and if I appeared in court, any judge with a conscience would probably give CIC a good work over.

Drivel. The Tories always had more minorities in caucus than any other party, and have increased immigration. Apparently not even the fact that the MP in question WAS an immigrants eems to have clued you in.

The immigration Harper has increased is for TFW's. Other than that it's more or less average. And percentage of population wise he has reduced it to less than we did in the '50's.

LOL!

If you say so buddy!

WWWTT

I respect what you are posting here hardworker. I see no advantage to you for posting at this site. I think it is disgraceful for some of the comments I am seeing posted towards you. This is not representative of all Canadians. I do have empathy for your situation and I hope you get it resolved soon! Please disregard Shady and WWWTT for their inconsiderate responses. They do not speak on behalf of all members here.

The immigration Harper has increased is for TFW's. Other than that it's more or less average. And percentage of population wise he has reduced it to less than we did in the '50's.

The fifties was right after world war two! Not that you probably realize that.Immigration is actually higher than any justification for it to be, but I'm not going to get into that here. Suffice to say your comment was dumb. Or didn't the name "Wai Young" clue you in that she was an immigrant herself?

I respect what you are posting here hardworker. I see no advantage to you for posting at this site. I think it is disgraceful for some of the comments I am seeing posted towards you. This is not representative of all Canadians. I do have empathy for your situation and I hope you get it resolved soon! Please disregard Shady and WWWTT for their inconsiderate responses. They do not speak on behalf of all members here.

Oh, I forgot comments from Argus too!

Thank you. God bless. I'll probably end up moving back to the U.S. at some point. It is just very hard for me to move back right now. Unfortunately, I came to Canada with such a respect for Canada. I always thought of Canada as America's much more enlightened and intellectual cousin. I'm afraid that is no longer the case. However, there are many people like you that make me very grateful for the love and kindness I have received from a lot of well meaning people.

Oh, I forgot comments from Argus too!

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to exactly what was wrong with my comments you felt the need to apologize for. I mean, given how noble and righteous you are I'm sure you have ample justification.

The fifties was right after world war two! Not that you probably realize that.Immigration is actually higher than any justification for it to be, but I'm not going to get into that here. Suffice to say your comment was dumb. Or didn't the name "Wai Young" clue you in that she was an immigrant herself?

The numbers aren't dumb, but I think I know who may be.

Thank you. God bless. I'll probably end up moving back to the U.S. at some point. It is just very hard for me to move back right now. Unfortunately, I came to Canada with such a respect for Canada. I always thought of Canada as America's much more enlightened and intellectual cousin. I'm afraid that is no longer the case. However, there are many people like you that make me very grateful for the love and kindness I have received from a lot of well meaning people.

We are much more enlightened and intellectual than our cousins! :)

We are much more enlightened and intellectual than our cousins! :)

Apparently not....just slower. I see a lot of this at work....good people like this stuck in immigration limbo because bureaucracy cannot get it done within established timelines and expirations. Very disruptive to personal lives.

Apparently not....just slower. I see a lot of this at work....good people like this stuck in immigration limbo because bureaucracy cannot get it done within established timelines and expirations. Very disruptive to personal lives.

Nice of you to chime in BC.

Your tag:

Economics trumps Virtue.

Disclaimer: This post is certified as GMO, gluten, and troll free, but may invoke contemporary or past elements of popular culture and/or media as satire, sarcasm, or metaphor to respond, contrast, or compare topics and posts in a succinct manner.

That is one of the coolest signatures i've seen in a while :)

Your tag:

Economics trumps Virtue.

Disclaimer: This post is certified as GMO, gluten, and troll free, but may invoke contemporary or past elements of popular culture and/or media as satire, sarcasm, or metaphor to respond, contrast, or compare topics and posts in a succinct manner.

That is one of the coolest signatures i've seen in a while :)

Very disruptive to personal lives.

Thank you for acknowledging that. There is something so deeply human when it comes to my need for acknowledgement. Your comment may seem trivial to you, but it makes a lot of difference to me. Thank you.

Nice of you to chime in BC.

I've seen the impact this kind of red tape can have on people and their families. Yes, Canada has the sovereign right to run things any way it wishes, but we get a lot of sponsored employees and contractors jumping through hoops just to stay legal. They have shown me the stack of "official" letters. The U.S. may be no better at times, but not because it is less "enlightened" than Canada.