A Muslim immigrant's letter to South Vancouver MP Wai Young's

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in Canada since 2009.

No. I have not had an interview yet.

My wife is the one who initiated the contact with Wai Young's office. I was accompanying her, and the letter posted at the beginning of the thread is in response to an email sent to my inbox.

My wife has been to the office in person. My anger was at the run around they were giving her.

Yes: I fully agree. I think party affiliation is a big factor, however much it may anger some people on this thread who are accusing me of being a troll.

So how are you able to stay in Canada then?

WWWTT

So how are you able to stay in Canada then?

WWWTT

Because I applied for immigration based on spousal sponsorship. I cam to Vancouver in 2009. I lost my job in Dallas in 2009. My wife is originally from Vancouver, and suggested we move to Canada. I was hesitant at first, but then thought, why not its a nice place to raise children. So, I came in 2009 and applied. Spousal sponsorship was approved within 6 months, and I was given an open work permit etc.

Because I applied for immigration based on spousal sponsorship. I cam to Vancouver in 2009. I lost my job in Dallas in 2009. My wife is originally from Vancouver, and suggested we move to Canada. I was hesitant at first, but then thought, why not its a nice place to raise children. So, I came in 2009 and applied. Spousal sponsorship was approved within 6 months, and I was given an open work permit etc.

You were given a work permit and not a permanent residence card????

You applied for a work permit to?

Something doesn't add up here.

You are supposed to apply for a work permit from your home country, in the US your application goes to New York.

Oh boy here we go, he's all yours Shady.

Good luck

WWWTT

You are supposed to apply for a work permit from your home country, in the US your application goes to New York.

Good luck

WWWTT

Ok. Let me try again. It is standard that when someone applies for Canadian immigration "in state," meaning that he or she comes to Canada on a valid visa or in my case passport, and then applies for immigration based on spousal sponsorship, he or she is given an open work permit. Does that explain it?

Edited by hardworker786

Good luck

WWWTT

I don't blame you for a lack of familiarity with immigration procedure. But, if you read the threads, all the info is there.

Ok. Let me try again. It is standard that when someone applies for Canadian immigration "in state," meaning that he or she comes to Canada on a valid visa or in my case passport, and then applies for immigration based on spousal sponsorship, he or she is given an open work permit. Does that explain it?

Just trying to find out how to do this with immigration Canada, and I can't!

Is your wife a visiting student and you're an accompanying spouse?

WWWTT

Over 5 year, since you still haven't heard.

no i haven't.

here's my point:

a) tell me why its being delayed. don't keep lying to me as CIC obviously is.

B) if you have issue, reject the application. (though in truth, if they had a reason to reject it they would have by now).

c) if you have no basis to reject my application, then accept it! or, reject it so i can appeal and have a judge decide.

d) i'm not asking for special favors. just to be treated by the law in a just manner.

Just trying to find out how to do this with immigration Canada, and I can't!

Is your wife a visiting student and you're an accompanying spouse?

WWWTT

No sir. My wife is a Canadian citizen. Has been since 2000. I have no problems with the questions. Please ask away. Did not mean to come across as testy in the last post. I apologize.

Edited by hardworker786

No it doesn't.

You have to leave Canada when your visa is up and must apply for a work visa from your home country.

When you get your PR card from Nova Scotia, you can then work.

Here's another question, do you have a health card? Driver's licence?

WWWTT

No it doesn't.

You have to leave Canada when your visa is up and must apply for a work visa from your home country.

When you get your PR card from Nova Scotia, you can then work.

Here's another question, do you have a health card? Driver's licence?

WWWTT

Yes it does. Ask any immigration official. When I came to Vancouver in 2009, I did so as a U.S. citizen on an automatic 6 month visa. I phoned CIC customer service and asked them explicitly: Can I apply for a PR card? They said yes you can, so long as you don't overstay your visit visa. Technically, I could have applied after the 6 month period as well. So, in a nutshell, I was legally eligible to applying for PR. It is called an "in state application." I have a valid driver's licence, a health care card (which expires when my open work permit expires and has to be renewed annually) etc. I am fully legal here. I am just waiting on my PR card, which should have arrived in 2011.

Addendum:

All the above makes sense if you keep in mind that my wife was a Canadian citizen when I applied.

Edited by hardworker786

Good luck

WWWTT

He doesn't need any of that if he comes in as the spouse of a citizen.

The point I was trying to make was that the generalization of characteristics based on the actions of unaffiliated people is wrong. I am a Muslim. I have been told by immigration officials that my application is undergoing a "security background check."

I think the comparison is inappropriate given we have yet to establish that the delay is due to your being a Muslm. Tens of thousands of Muslims immigrate to Canada every year. I haven't heard that they all have to wait 5 years for a background check, so there seems to be something particular about you. Mind you, that could be something as simple as you having the same name as someone else on a watch list. But that's the sort of thing MPs offices are supposed to clear up.