This week in Islam

kimmy

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

As someone who has studied and participated in the form, there's nothing more ignorable than an armchair critic.

Plenty of people think she's funny, check out her achievements.  Also a new comic.

I knew you wouldn't keep me on ignore for long.

She's not funny.  I never broke so much as a smile.  It might be cultural.  I grew up on Monty Python and Black Adder.  You had Kids in the Hall.

Edited by bcsapper

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

I knew you wouldn't keep me on ignore for long,

She's not funny.  I never broke so much as a smile.  It might be cultural.  I grew up on Monty Python and Black Adder.  You had Kids in the Hall.

That's because "The new comedy" is designed to be very safe and unoffensive. Hence, not funny.

19 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

There's no "the new comedy".

Today we live in a time where free speech is under threat. Comedians are being silenced by politically corrective activists.

Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock, meanwhile, have said that college audiences have become too quick to condemn a joke as racist or sexist. Rock has gone further, telling New York Magazine that he has started to censor himself at gigs in case someone is recording him on their phone. “If you think you don’t have room to make mistakes,” said Rock, “it’s going to lead to safer, gooier stand-up.”
BBC - Culture

Don Rickles would absolutely clear the room. Hell, he would incite a riot.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Today we live in a time where free speech is under threat. Comedians are being silenced by politically corrective activists.

2. Don Rickles would absolutely clear the room. Hell, he would incite a riot.

1. That's horseshit.  We are expressing more opinions than ever and discussing more than ever.  Even this meme, which is essentially a FOX News talking point, is free speech

2. I disagree.  But it's off-topic.  Suffice it to say that this person was featured on the radio 'this week, in Islam'.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. That's horseshit.  We are expressing more opinions than ever and discussing more than ever.  Even this meme, which is essentially a FOX News talking point, is free speech

2. I disagree.  But it's off-topic.  Suffice it to say that this person was featured on the radio 'this week, in Islam'.  

Do you really not see the attempts to curb humour that doesn't toe a certain line?  A couple of recent examples from Spiked: (I'm not saying they are funny.  Just that they seem to instill in others a notion that they have the right to censor, or at the very least, insist on an apology.  Why don't they just ignore them?)

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/08/29/is-australia-losing-its-sense-of-humour/

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/08/22/even-puns-are-offensive-now/

That's just what I read in the last few days. 

Edited by bcsapper

8 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

That's horseshit.  We are expressing more opinions than ever and discussing more than ever.  Even this meme, which is essentially a FOX News talking point, is free speech

I did not intend to disparage your sense of humour, yours is just different, and that's ok. Although the question "was it actually humour" is a valid one. Was it, or is it being put in front of us for another reason- leftist social engineering and totalitarianism in all aspects of society, including speech, writing and now also in comedy.

- The link I provided was by BBC, not FOX. Quotes were by professional comedians. Does that not convince you?

7 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Although the question "was it actually humour" is a valid one. Was it, or is it being put in front of us for another reason- leftist social engineering and totalitarianism in all aspects of society, including speech, writing and now also in comedy.

- The link I provided was by BBC, not FOX. Quotes were by professional comedians. Does that not convince you?

1. Did you go to see this person's achievements ?  

2. 'Professional comedians' ?  I'm a professional comedian.  Seinfeld and Rock have their opinions, and I respect them but 'free speech under threat' is a horseshit meme.  You want to tell us that saying we're threatened by climate change is a 'lie', then apply the same metric for 'truth' to what you post.

• Like 1

Not sure what to make of this one other than the alleged killer was Canadian, and if he was where is he now and could he be charged?

https://torontosun.com/news/world/activists-call-for-justice-after-honour-killing-of-palestinian-woman?fbclid=IwAR0xqIOdeVQ4jrpSYaqZvnSuSlJy9l_J2tt6aF_BVS8DLabP5DlC_TLCUm8

The death of a 21-year-old aspiring makeup artist has activists from around the world calling for justice.

Isra’a Ghrayeb, a Palestinian woman from Bethlehem, was reportedly killed this past Thursday after being allegedly tortured and beaten to death by her brother in a family honour killing.

According to The New Arab, Ghraybeb was killed after posting a video on social media depicting her and her fiance.

Her brother, Ihab — a Canadian citizen — was reportedly angered by the video, believing it was a family dishonour to show herself with her betrothed together before a formal wedding ceremony takes place

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2019/8/31/man-tortures-palestinian-sister-to-death-in-honour-killing

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Did you go to see this person's achievements ?  

2. 'Professional comedians' ?  I'm a professional comedian.  Seinfeld and Rock have their opinions, and I respect them but 'free speech under threat' is a horseshit meme.  You want to tell us that saying we're threatened by climate change is a 'lie', then apply the same metric for 'truth' to what you post.

I watched the video, if that's what you mean. Is that good enough?

Seinfeld and Rock are number one in their field. These people are at the top of the media food chain, commanding TV air time, movies etc. You know that. I could find more people saying this if it helps.

You want to tell us that saying we're threatened by climate change is a 'lie', then apply the same metric for 'truth' to what you post.

I didn't say that now, you're putting words in my mouth etc. We are threatened by it, but I was discussing a particular aspect of the problem. You conflate this with blanket dismissal.

This is off topic now, no connection to thread. 

Besides, it seems you are n a bad mood today, after I dissed your favourite comedian. Terribly sorry

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. I watched the video, if that's what you mean. Is that good enough?

2. Seinfeld and Rock are number one in their field.

3. These people are at the top of the media food chain, commanding TV air time, movies etc. You know that. I could find more people saying this if it helps.

4. I didn't say that now, you're putting words in my mouth etc.  

1. That's to find out if you find it funny.  She has won awards and toured all over, and made it to the Sirius XM up and comers competition... so others feel differently is the point.

2. How can two people be number one ?  Yes they are 'big' .. especially if it's 1998.

3. Yes, and those are achievements worth mentioning yes. Their comments about on-campus humour reflect a certain truth.  Then again, Bob Hope wasn't "funny" to students in the 1960s either so...

4. I'm not going to go back to the thread to check but there was something about falsehoods and extreme claims by Climate people...  The content of the claim isn't important anyway - you want to call 'bullshit' on certain things and so do I.  The difference is I call bullshit on right- and left- hysterics, from what I can see.

Of course - you could prove me wrong by stating that FOX is bullshit right here and now and we'll call it a day.

5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Of course - you could prove me wrong by stating that FOX is bullshit right here and now and we'll call it a day.

Don't know why your constantly citing FOX, the link I gave was BBC.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock, meanwhile, have said that college audiences have become too quick to condemn a joke as racist or sexist. Rock has gone further, telling New York Magazine that he has started to censor himself at gigs in case someone is recording him on their phone. “If you think you don’t have room to make mistakes,” said Rock, “it’s going to lead to safer, gooier stand-up.”
BBC - Culture

Did you not read the link?

15 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1.Don't know why your constantly citing FOX, the link I gave was BBC.

2. Did you not read the link?

1. Sorry - didn't mean to offend you.  I won't say bad things about FOX to you anymore.

2. Yeah - this echoes how I feel - and I referenced Bob Hope falling out of fashion above already.  

For Kumar, Seinfeld’s grumblings about political correctness echo those of the bluff, bigoted comics who held sway on British television in the 1970s, “the era of white men in bow ties telling jokes about their Pakistani neighbours”. When alternative comedy came along in the 1980s, Bernard Manning and his peers suddenly found that they were out of touch and out of fashion. Could it be that Seinfeld and Rock, likewise, have simply failed to keep up with social progress? As Wool puts it, “They’re just coming to terms with the fact that they’re not very cool any more.” 

2 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

Yup.

Then close it like you did for "Twitter won't autoban Nazis." The absurd length of this doesn't permit most but a few to maintain consistency on topic. The other you closed comes across as odd without some other justification than you stated. [I was just about to respond in that one when you happened to close it. I won't invest in contributing here if certain topics are censored over others without witnessing obvious abuses.]

1 minute ago, Scott Mayers said:

Then close it like you did for "Twitter won't autoban Nazis." The absurd length of this doesn't permit most but a few to maintain consistency on topic. The other you closed comes across as odd without some other justification than you stated. [I was just about to respond in that one when you happened to close it. I won't invest in contributing here if certain topics are censored over others without witnessing obvious abuses.]

Everybody is welcome to start a new thread with a proper opening post that clearly delineates the topic to be discussed. 

Ok.  More Islam in the news this week

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2019/09/02/alleged-child-molester-roy-moore-muslims-should-not-serve-in-congress/

Reprobate Roy Moore (known for cruising malls to ask teen girls for dates, and also the Republican candidate for Alabama governor) has brought the full force of his moral authority to say Muslims shouldn't serve in Congress.

Makes sense, especially if Republicans are so holy that they can sexually assault teenage girls and be better than Muslims.

This is how uneven the moral code is for these people.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:56 AM, Michael Hardner said:

"Today we live in a time where free speech is under threat. Comedians are being silenced by politically corrective activists."

That is actually NOT horseshit - it's absolutely true.

Bruce Bawer has documented many, many cases of free speech being limited and taken away because of fear of Muslim reprisals - he has documented it from cases about the media, the arts, legal cases that have happened, cops, courts and civil service, the UN - all have been silenced.  He documents what is happening in a lot of countries in Europe, and also in Canada and the US.  He documents the caving into Sharia law because of Muslim threats to violence - "Don't call us violent, or we will get violent with you."

I realize that you - and others like you - will refuse to become informed because nothing makes you guys madder than when someone documents these things and reports them - you are all part of the soft jihad that is taking place against freedom of speech and democracy and you wont' rest until all criticism of Islam is silenced - in accordance with  Sharia law.  You are being played by jihadists and the PC crowd.

If there is anyone who would like to know what's going on - read Bawer's book - Surrender.  You will never declare that free speech being under threat is "HORSESHIT" again.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, scribblet said:

More on Sharia courts in Britain which are operating and often  women get the short end of the stick (sometimes actually no pun intended. 

More and more courts in Europe are making decisions based on Sharia, and  - it is not looking good for women.  How could it?  Sharia law does not recognize the equality between the sexes - women and non-Muslims get the short end of the stick.

Here's just one case from Germany:

In March 2007, Christa Datz-Winter - a family court judge in Frankfurt refused to expedite a divorce between a Moroccan-German woman and her Moroccan husband who had repeatedly beaten and threatened to kill her.  Datz-Winter argued that the woman should have been prepared for such treatment, since her husband's religion granted him the right to use corporal punishment.  Der Spiegel reported that this was just one "in a chain of horrific rulings in which German courts have taken Sharia into account".

Seyran Ates, a Berlin lawyer who fights for the democratic rights of Muslim women in the face of efforts to keep them trapped in Sharia said she was "almost grateful that Datz-Winter grounded her ruling so explicitly in the Koran because it exposes an undercurrernt that already exists in our courts, whereby tolerance for Muslim intolerance has led to a parallel sharia-based legal system."

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Goddess said:

More and more courts in Europe are making decisions based on Sharia, and  - it is not looking good for women.  How could it?  Sharia law does not recognize the equality between the sexes - women and non-Muslims get the short end of the stick.

Here's just one case from Germany:

In March 2007, Christa Datz-Winter - a family court judge in Frankfurt refused to expedite a divorce between a Moroccan-German woman and her Moroccan husband who had repeatedly beaten and threatened to kill her.  Datz-Winter argued that the woman should have been prepared for such treatment, since her husband's religion granted him the right to use corporal punishment.  Der Spiegel reported that this was just one "in a chain of horrific rulings in which German courts have taken Sharia into account".

Seyran Ates, a Berlin lawyer who fights for the democratic rights of Muslim women in the face of efforts to keep them trapped in Sharia said she was "almost grateful that Datz-Winter grounded her ruling so explicitly in the Koran because it exposes an undercurrernt that already exists in our courts, whereby tolerance for Muslim intolerance has led to a parallel sharia-based legal system."

To be fair, they removed her from the case once the Justice Minister got wind of it.  I don't know if she lost her job though.  It would be difficult for the Twitter pitchfork sharpeners to reconcile the two views.   Violence against women, but criticism of Islam.  Daisy, daisy give me your answer do...

Maybe it was before Twitter succumbed to mob rule.

48 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Do you have something to justify your claim of a trend? Ie. Not a single example from 12 years ago?

Asking sincerely.

Are you really unaware that Islam has been setting up and demanding Sharia courts in countries all over the world - even here in Canada?  Are you really unaware of what Sharia law entails?  Sincerely, educate yourself.

You would have to read Bawer's book - that I suggested and cited - to get the full picture - it has TONS of documented proof.  I doubt you will do that, of course.   It' doesn't flatter Islam and exposes  how country after country has capitulated to Sharia law in response to Muslim demands.

Here's another from the book - In February 2008 Britain capitulated to Sharia law in a remarkable way  by declaring that the marriages of individuals with multiple spouses would be recognized for purposes of welfare disbursement.  Muslim men with more than one wife would be allowed to collect additional state benefits.

Polygamy by non-Muslims would continue to be a crime, but polygamy by Muslims would  be rewarded.  (This policy is already in place in Ontario, BTW.)

The discussion before about whether Muslim cabbies should be made to take riders with seeing-eye dogs - that's Sharia law.  How far do you want to bend to that - I ask because you were one of the ones who agreed that Muslim cabbies should be allowed to refuse rides to handicapped people who rely on dogs?  Some cabbies are already not allowing anyone in their cab who is transporting alcohol - another Sharia no-no.  What if Muslim cabbies start not allowing women in short skirts or tank tops to ride?  Or any woman in general?  What about unmarried couples?  Gay couples are already being denied rides.  After taxis, why not buses, trains and planes?  This is all Sharia law.

It has been said that communism's  role as a threat to Western freedoms has been replaced by Islam.  Fortunately, you are a straight man - your freedoms will disappear last.  Right now, Jews, gays and women in all countries are losing freedoms at alarming rates.

Edited by Goddess
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

To be fair, they removed her from the case once the Justice Minister got wind of it. 

And what happens if/when the Justice Minister of a country is Muslim?  Muslim politicians in many countries of Europe are eroding freedoms - freedom of speech being the big one right now.  Some are not (some are like Hirsi Ali and stand firm for Western freedoms) but even many non-Muslim politicians are caving to Sharia law when it comes to freedom of the press and jurisprudence.