Government Stupidity Creates Tens of Thousands of new Natives

So the government, in all its wisdom, decides its going to create a new landless band of status indians in Newfoundland, and basically throws open the door to anyone who can claim any relationship with a native, however far back in their past.

“We’re talking about lifelong entitlement to Indian status and band membership. Recognition of your heritage,”

Most of these people had never thought of themselves as natives, but suddenly, when presented with the opportunity get gain all the benefits, tens of thousands applied, threatening to create the biggest band of natives (many with blonde hair and blue eyes) in Canada.

It just shows how stupid this whole 'native status' thing is, and why it needs to be eliminated. A Canadian is a Canadian, and should be treated the same way and abide by the same laws. I don't care who your great, great, great, great grandmother was! Move to a city and get a job!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-moves-to-tighten-aboriginal-membership-criteria/article17954032/#dashboard/follows/

Yay! Way to go! Now we can look forward to increases in the tax revenue allocated to these folks. Maybe a huge jump in land claims and more dissent as the ranks have now been swelled considerably. That's just so cool and I'm pretty sure its something that the average working tax payer has been hoping would happen.

It just shows how stupid this whole 'native status' thing is, and why it needs to be eliminated.

Actually I think this better demonstrates just how silly the whole country thing has gotten. An Earthling is an Earthling, and should be treated the same way and abide by laws in a similar spirit.

It's 2014 for crying out loud, evolve already!

it reads like the initial application numbers were (somewhat) in line with the prior census. With a majority, Bill C-65 should deal with the 'second wave' of possibly questionable applications and, at least initially, any challenge from those receiving a (follow-up) rejected application. Some of those rejected will simply accept it as a part of the 'game' they pursued; other's with a new/renewed sense of legitimate heritage will react through whatever measures possible... which may be through nothing more than the voting booth.

there is an avenue for pursuing the OP described "elimination of the whole native status thing"... I believe its called negotiation with First Nation persons.

Actually I think this better demonstrates just how silly the whole country thing has gotten. An Earthling is an Earthling, and should be treated the same way and abide by laws in a similar spirit.

It's 2014 for crying out loud, evolve already!

So you wouldn't have a problem with people from 'other countries' (which you don't believe in) coming into our waters to fish however much they wanted?

it reads like the initial application numbers were (somewhat) in line with the prior census. With a majority, Bill C-65 should deal with the 'second wave' of possibly questionable applications and, at least initially, any challenge from those receiving a (follow-up) rejected application. Some of those rejected will simply accept it as a part of the 'game' they pursued; other's with a new/renewed sense of legitimate heritage will react through whatever measures possible... which may be through nothing more than the voting booth.

there is an avenue for pursuing the OP described "elimination of the whole native status thing"... I believe its called negotiation with First Nation persons.

I'm speaking about how silly it is to be according people special rights based on who their ancestors were. And no treaty negotiatiion I've ever heard of would eliminate special rights for natives and have them simply declared "Canadians".

I'm speaking about how silly it is to be according people special rights based on who their ancestors were. And no treaty negotiatiion I've ever heard of would eliminate special rights for natives and have them simply declared "Canadians".

it's called heritage... whether its made itself to a formal negotiation level prior, I've read many references to shifting the ongoing 'special rights' monetary attachment to a one-time payment/payout. Of course, this would simply be a part of broader negotiations dealing with such things as land claims. I wouldn't expect a need for the label "First Nations" vs. Canadian to be a part of that negotiation mix... I would anticipate it would shift (over time) to something akin to being nothing more than "an Indo-Canadian, a Chinese-Canadian, an Irish-Canadian, etc.".

So you wouldn't have a problem with people from 'other countries' (which you don't believe in) coming into our waters to fish however much they wanted?

Of course I would, I'm for law and order too just so you know.

I'm also for Bioregionalism

Bioregionalism is a political, cultural, and ecological system or set of views based on naturally defined areas called bioregions, similar to ecoregions. Bioregions are defined through physical and environmental features, including watershed boundaries and soil and terrain characteristics. Bioregionalism stresses that the determination of a bioregion is also a cultural phenomenon, and emphasizes local populations, knowledge, and solutions.

Our planetary government should be tasked with passing the laws and managing institutions that govern this.

Edited by eyeball

it's called heritage... whether its made itself to a formal negotiation level prior, I've read many references to shifting the ongoing 'special rights' monetary attachment to a one-time payment/payout. Of course, this would simply be a part of broader negotiations dealing with such things as land claims. I wouldn't expect a need for the label "First Nations" vs. Canadian to be a part of that negotiation mix... I would anticipate it would shift (over time) to something akin to being nothing more than "an Indo-Canadian, a Chinese-Canadian, an Irish-Canadian, etc.".

That would be nice and simple, but people like Derek Nepinak stand in the way of that, where someone like Stephen Harper would probably be very happy with that.

I could imagine that people who are truly entitled to that status of being so-called natives, ie speak some native language, would detest such phoneys in their midst and thus giving all the natives a bad name.

I could imagine that people who are truly entitled to that status of being so-called natives, ie speak some native language, would detest such phoneys in their midst and thus giving all the natives a bad name.

Not at all. It's a North American thing. Closest analogy I got for you is the identification of Finnish people among the majority of Russian occupiers. You look to expand your population as wide as possible to have a rallying cause to protest your perceived occupation.

An awful lot of people who are unambiguously members of native cultures do not speak their native language. That is just a fact due to the legacy of residential schools.

I do think this expansion is awful though. It actually undercuts many of the arguments of the more thoughful native activists: that nations are not merely a product of bloodlines, but rather of culture and belief. Canada sure as hell do not offer citizenship to everyone who has even a drop of Canadian blood.

Liberal MP condemns the government's move to limit applications. Why? Well, he applied himself! You won't find a Liberal MP missing a gravy train if hey think they can climb aboard!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/mp-speaks-out-against-revoking-status/article18035952/#dashboard/follows/

Liberal MP condemns the government's move to limit applications. Why? Well, he applied himself! You won't find a Liberal MP missing a gravy train if hey think they can climb aboard!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/mp-speaks-out-against-revoking-status/article18035952/#dashboard/follows/

'condemn' seems a tad harsh as to the reaction put forward in your linked article. In any case, does he meet the initial criteria defined through negotiation between the Harper Conservative government and the Federation of Newfoundland Indians?

Mr. Byrne said he has known for many years that some of his ancestors were Mi’kmaq. His family tree intersects with the Mi’kmaq five times, he said. He was one of the last to apply for membership, in November, 2012, in part because he initially thought his claim would be turned down. When he looked more closely at the criteria, he saw that wasn’t the case.

Being in business I see so many people with so many different types of indian cards, . It has become another scam. These cards should all be banned. I am sure I could find some indian blood some where along the line ,but I do not want one. I AM CANADIAN. Gotta love those beer commercials.

Being in business I see so many people with so many different types of indian cards, . It has become another scam. These cards should all be banned. I am sure I could find some indian blood some where along the line ,but I do not want one. I AM CANADIAN. Gotta love those beer commercials.

well done! You've managed to imply 'Indians' are scammers. Do you equally imply that out of all your designated 'Indians', none... not one... considers themselves to be a Canadian?

What different types of Indian cards are you referring? There is a new Indian Status card that has extra security features such as a hologram and a scannable ID card number available to approximately 800,000 status Indians in Canada. This will help to eliminate identity theft, fraud etc. What scams are you referring to and why should they be banned?

Being in business I see so many people with so many different types of indian cards.

Waldo already handled this ridiculous post, but I am interested in the term Indian. European explorers missed their target by half a planet and even after discovering the error and in spite of the offense, the term stuck. Is your use of the term ignorance or malice?

Is your use of the term ignorance or malice?

Some native people find it offensive and some don't. The reality is that our treaties were signed with Indians. That term (whether erroneous or not) was used to describe the people and that fact doesn't change regardless of how much people are offended (or not)

I use native most of the time but sometimes it is indian and who cares, that is what they are. Nothing to be ashamed of. But I will respect a government issued card but now metis groups have thier own and expect thiers to be treated as real one. And yes waldo indian/natives are no different then anyone else when it comes to scams. Actually who has had bigger scams going in this country then the band councils themselves, besides chretien's/McGuinty governments. Billions and billions worth of scams. But it is good to see spence's boyfried being charged with fraud over 5 grand, so maybe this is start to cleaning things up where the regular folks on the reserves get some of the money to better themselves.

Edited by PIK