Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thread drift is obvious in the last few posts - it's not on topic.

which twas why I called out the resurrection of the thread by jgb replying to a 5-month old post that had nothing to do with board moderation or improvements... with a reply that had nothing to do with board moderation or improvements.

• 1 month later...

Time to give this thread a long deserved BUMP!

Looks like the moderation team here is on a new warpath!

Enforcing the traditional rules of what THEY PERCEIVE as trolling!

Locking threads and deleating posts!

Well if Michael Hardner wants to use the economy to judge the US education system in his threads, then lets use the value of this forum as a meter stick in evaluating the effectiveness of the moderation of this site!

$720! Down $1500 this year!

Doesn't look so good boys, if this was the real world, and I was the owner, I would fire your sorry asses long ago!

But that's ok guys, you still have your trump card that always get played at the darkest hour, "we're just volunteers"!

I really hope that takes the wind out of your sails and you take some time to seriously contemplate YOUR ERRORS!

WWWTT

The moderation has been particularly bad lately. Both Charles and Michael have called out fairly innocuous comments from posters, while only making vague generalizations about far worse comments from instigators.

Look, I know you guys aren't going to read through everything and don't care about the petty drama on the forum. Consequently, if you're going to make comments calling out posters then the least you could do is follow the thread and call out the right people, the instigators.

The moderation has been particularly bad lately. Both Charles and Michael have called out fairly innocuous comments from posters, while only making vague generalizations about far worse comments from instigators.

Look, I know you guys aren't going to read through everything and don't care about the petty drama on the forum. Consequently, if you're going to make comments calling out posters then the least you could do is follow the thread and call out the right people, the instigators.

It's been very inconsistent... some posts considered insults (even lighthearted ones) are "hidden" while other blatant personal insults don't get "hidden". Very sloppy... incoherent even...

No, as the mods have been very clear about this. Responding to such comments will also be addressed, not just instigators. Report and ignore.

Maybe I'm not being clear. Their practices in addressing these issues is stupid. I don't care how clear they've been about it.

If you have a bar and there's a patron who starts fights every weekend, you don't throw out the people he starts fights with. That's just dumb, even if they do punch back.

I'm sorry if it hasn't been inconsistent. I honestly think we do our best.

I only have enough time to do what I do, though.

Agreed...some members are presuming that the mods read all posts, instigators and retaliators alike, with a complete context and understanding of the thread. Mods have neither the time or inclination to do this. A reported rules infraction at least give the mods specific posts (out of thousands) to focus on.

Couldn't agree more. I made a post listing repetitive threads. For whatever reason it was deleted even though the post said absolutely nothing bad about any posters or for that matter moderators.

So I don't risk another deletion, I listed eight virtually identical anti-Israel and anti-Jewish threads.

Couldn't agree more. I made a post listing repetitive threads. For whatever reason it was deleted even though the post said absolutely nothing bad about any posters or for that matter moderators.

So I don't risk another deletion, I listed eight virtually identical anti-Israel and anti-Jewish threads.

I was not at all surprised that the post was deleted, following identical policy for other members who have taken it upon themselves to inventory and report their misgivings about repeated topics and member posting history. The mods were consistent.

Agreed...some members are presuming that the mods read all posts, instigators and retaliators alike, with a complete context and understanding of the thread.

We don't have time for this, nor to dig through the threads to find the instigation. I try to look for the point where the poster went personal but it's not so easy. Also, we're human beings so we have bad days, lapses, and we screw up.

As I said above, I can only try. Most of you do a great job of representing your points of view, and I learn from you every day. In the end, there's a bigger difference between reasonable and unreasonable posters than there is between left/right IMO.

We don't have time for this, nor to dig through the threads to find the instigation.

REminds me of school !

Put up with....again and again....and finally say something and voila, theres a mod going tsk tsk.

And why? Because of this...

If you have a bar and there's a patron who starts fights every weekend, you don't throw out the people he starts fights with. That's just dumb, even if they do punch back.

Much easier to deal with the punch than why it was thrown. Again, kind of like school.

Who see the reports? All three? Only one? Two of the mod/admin?

Mods have neither the time or inclination to do this.

I only have enough time to do what I do, though.

Then step down and let someone else do the job!

I'm sure there are many here that can do it!

WWWTT

Then step down and let someone else do the job!

I'm sure there are many here that can do it!

WWWTT

Are you making an offer?

Would anyone care to consider WWWTT for moderator? :)

Edited by Argus

I think MH is doing a great job.

Maybe I'm not being clear. Their practices in addressing these issues is stupid. I don't care how clear they've been about it.

Yes, you are clear. You disagree with how we handle things.

Starting fights? I suppose you could look at it that way. That is not the only analogy.

If you have a bar and some drunk starts shooting his mouth off, 99% of you guys will laugh, turn around and walk away. Then you turn back and laugh at the loser who gets stuck talking to the drunk.

We don't have time for this, nor to dig through the threads to find the instigation. I try to look for the point where the poster went personal but it's not so easy. Also, we're human beings so we have bad days, lapses, and we screw up.

I scroll back before sending out a warning. Most often, it does not take much scrolling to figure it out. You usually catch things quick and send out a message to the member.

When someone reports a post, I scroll back through the thread to review the trail of the discussion. It is not that difficult to see where/when/who crossed the line to instigate disruption. Half of the reports sent to us are frivolous in the sense that the person reporting is the one who instigated the disruption and is clearly in denial. Most often, you guys do a good job of side-stepping the personal jabs and continuing the discussions. When it is clear that you all got past whatever, we leave you be.

The following is going to sound condescending but I believe it is food for thought: Some of you guys misunderstand the messages conveyed by your fellow members and dismiss them as trolling when they are not. Too often, you attribute malicious intent to a desire to say the brutal truth.