Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

The problem with your arguments, Argus, is not that you disagree with abhorrent aspects of other cultures. It's that you ignorantly espouse that those aspects are unique to particular cultures and ignore their presence in your own culture. It's your blinders that make your arguments racist. For instance, you're frothing at the mouth mad about misogyny from Muslims, but completely turn a blind eye to rape culture in North America and have made some awfully misogynistic comments yourself.

But hey, your complete absence of reflexivity is part of your charm. That's why you whine and cry about "the left" insulting you, while posting all kinds of instigating remarks and insults yourself. You just love to complain about the negative aspects of others but ignore it when it's in your own house.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with your arguments, Argus, is not that you disagree with abhorrent aspects of other cultures. It's that you ignorantly espouse that those aspects are unique to particular cultures and ignore their presence in your own culture. It's your blinders that make your arguments racist. For instance, you're frothing at the mouth mad about misogyny from Muslims, but completely turn a blind eye to rape culture in North America and have made some awfully misogynistic comments yourself.

Comparing the routine, codified by law degradation and violence against women in the Muslim world to Canada is like comparing a tidal wave to a puddle. There is no rape culture here, to begin with. That's a figment of the imagination of indignant leftist college students. Further, to suggest that objecting to honor killing or segregation of genders is 'racist' unless one duly notes that in some circumstances men in Canada have been known to sexually assault women is inane. Are you aware it is not even a crime to rape your wife in any Muslim nation, and that wife beating is, for all intents and purposes, legal and normal in many of them? Again, the comparison is ludicrous and used more as a paternalistic excuse for the backward cultures and values of so many third world nations than any reasonable argument.

But hey, your complete absence of reflexivity is part of your charm. That's why you whine and cry about "the left" insulting you, while posting all kinds of instigating remarks and insults yourself. You just love to complain about the negative aspects of others but ignore it when it's in your own house.

You talk about how a single poster who instigated was responsible for so many of your warning points. Well, YOU are that poster for me. That is why you are on my ignore list. My suspensions faded away when I stopped reading and replying to your bitterly antagonistic posts. So seek out reflexivity in yourself.

And yes, I know I'm replying to you now for the first time in a long time, mostly because this is on the moderation topic, read by the moderators, which will limit your opportunity for abuse.

Treading the thin edge of the sword.

Well, I'm not trying to get on anyone's case in particular, just setting out things as I see them.

As to my original post, we had a discussion going on a particular topic until one individual chose to launch into scattershot insults against everyone who disagreed with him. It was patently obvious that this was going to disrupt the topic and turn into a flamefest, and I duly reported it and said as much. It was left in place, and quite predictably, by next day the discussion deteriorated into accusations and counter accusations necessitating two rounds of cleanup by one of the mods. I am simply wondering at the methodology and reasoning. I like to know what is and is not allowed to instruct me on future behaviour.

I am simply wondering at the methodology and reasoning. I like to know what is and is not allowed to instruct me on future behaviour.

Moderator intervention tends to censor the least.

Once the disruptive behavior tends to stop, moderator intervention tends to stop.

They have lost the moral ground and want to strike back.

What is the moral ground?

Festivus has come early this year! The airing of grievances!!

"I got a lot of problems with you people, and you're going to hear about it"!

Edited by The_Squid

Moderator intervention tends to censor the least.

Once the disruptive behavior tends to stop, moderator intervention tends to stop.

Well, I agree with the first part, and if you'd simply have removed the one post no further intervention would have been required and the topic would have carried on.

And again, my question. If it's against the rules to say "You are a racist for disagreeing with me" why is it not against the rules to say "You are all racists for disagreeing with me"?

And again, my question. If it's against the rules to say "You are a racist for disagreeing with me" why is it not against the rules to say "You are all racists for disagreeing with me"?

That does not matter.

If you do not like a post, ignore it.

Comparing the routine, codified by law degradation and violence against women in the Muslim world to Canada is like comparing a tidal wave to a puddle. There is no rape culture here, to begin with. That's a figment of the imagination of indignant leftist college students. Further, to suggest that objecting to honor killing or segregation of genders is 'racist' unless one duly notes that in some circumstances men in Canada have been known to sexually assault women is inane. Are you aware it is not even a crime to rape your wife in any Muslim nation, and that wife beating is, for all intents and purposes, legal and normal in many of them? Again, the comparison is ludicrous and used more as a paternalistic excuse for the backward cultures and values of so many third world nations than any reasonable argument.

You talk about how a single poster who instigated was responsible for so many of your warning points. Well, YOU are that poster for me. That is why you are on my ignore list. My suspensions faded away when I stopped reading and replying to your bitterly antagonistic posts. So seek out reflexivity in yourself.

And yes, I know I'm replying to you now for the first time in a long time, mostly because this is on the moderation topic, read by the moderators, which will limit your opportunity for abuse.

Look, I don't have to go through the inconsistencies in your posts. There's been many discussions where numerous posters have compared your supposed concern for women's rights and violence in the ME with your support for it here when it's done by white Christians.

And as far as your warning points for posts about me, as a conservative you often talk about personal responsibility, I'm not responsible for your inability to discuss things without resorting to insults. I am responsible for laughing my ass off st you complaining about others doing it without even seeing that you do the exact same thing.

There is no civil discourse here. It's a bunch of people seeing how much they can get away with before they get banned. It's all a big game and you're all pretending like everyone else is playing it but you. Every last one of us is doing it. That's why you bait people and that's why you feign indignation at people calling your arguments racist and misgonistic.

That does not matter.

If you do not like a post, ignore it.

I did ignore it. That didn't stop it from derailing the topic into back and forth insults.

That does not matter? Are you saying there is no longer going to be any moderation here? That if people deliberately derail topics into insults, well, you're fine with that?

Look, I don't have to go through the inconsistencies in your posts. There's been many discussions where numerous posters have compared your supposed concern for women's rights and violence in the ME with your support for it here when it's done by white Christians.

Oh good. You can find one or two, then, right?

And as far as your warning points for posts about me, as a conservative you often talk about personal responsibility, I'm not responsible for your inability to discuss things without resorting to insults.

Quite right. But I've also said I'm not one to turn the other cheek, and it was responding to your bitter insults which often got me in trouble. So I stopped responding. See how that works?

There is no civil discourse here. It's a bunch of people seeing how much they can get away with before they get banned. It's all a big game and you're all pretending like everyone else is playing it but you. Every last one of us is doing it. That's why you bait people and that's why you feign indignation at people calling your arguments racist and misgonistic.

Perhaps you're not interested in civil discourse, but I am. I don't bait people, and my 'indignation' is more a matter of irritation when people show themselves so lacking in the ability to discuss things intelligently they resort to pathetic insults.

I do not know what is the big deal. Big Guy has been called every name in the book by the different posters who resent his truthful messages, are unable to counter them with facts and instead go after the messenger. They have lost the moral ground and want to strike back. He understands that - and that is why it does not bother him. Those insults and names just re-enforce the fact that he has hit the nerve of conscience.

But you see, that's what trolls do, your self-perceived "truthful messages" in at least one recent case I'm aware of was actually a blatant false-accusation which was unwarranted, unappreciated, and completely baseless; it derailed the thread and it borders on slander. You have no right to talk about moral ground, this is troll behavior, plain and simple. I can only surmise that you are so absorbed in your own over-inflated conceit you don't see the poor behavior that you're engaging in.

I suggest that you spend a little more time contemplating why some Big Guy statements are hitting a nerve with you folks and less time looking to the mods for help.

Thanks for the suggestion, highness, but I'll take a pass. I have no interest in enforcing your delusions. It serves neither of us well.

Perhaps it is time for you folks to look in a mirror and read some of your anti-immigrant rhetoric. It may be something of which you are not proud.

Why do you keep prefacing your reply to me with " you folks?" Who exactly are you referring to and who are you generalizing me with?

I have already suggested that your faulty perception and screeching racist and supremacist where there is no racism is the big reason for the disconnect. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with that, only you can.

Edited by Spiderfish

Oh good. You can find one or two, then, right?

Quite right. But I've also said I'm not one to turn the other cheek, and it was responding to your bitter insults which often got me in trouble. So I stopped responding. See how that works?

Perhaps you're not interested in civil discourse, but I am. I don't bait people, and my 'indignation' is more a matter of irritation when people show themselves so lacking in the ability to discuss things intelligently they resort to pathetic insults.

But you are judging people's intellect and throwing out insults based on your judgement. Do you not see the problem?

I have already suggested that your faulty perception and screeching racist and supremacist where there is no racism is the big reason for the disconnect. Unfortunately, I cannot help you with that, only you can.

The "folks" to whom I am referring are the racists. If you are not one then ignore it and move on.

I am comfortable in my views, have no respect for racists and bigots. It is the racists and bigots who seem to be doing the most complaining. I am glad that I have hit the nerve of conscience and the reaction to my posts appears to be "beating around the bush" of racism and causing some to reveal themselves.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

The "folks" to whom I am referring are the racists. If you are not one then ignore it and move on.

I am comfortable in my views, have no respect for racists and bigots. It is the racists and bigots who seem to be doing the most complaining. I am glad that I have hit the nerve of conscience and the reaction to my posts appears to be "beating around the bush" of racism and causing some to reveal themselves.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

The problem with your posts bg is that you do assume that people who disagree with your views are racists when that's not the case. I have stepped out of bounds of my personal beliefs and exposed myself to your qualifications of being a racist when I am not. you actually did call everyone who disagreed with you on the swimming pool topic as racist. I am not a racist but I disagreed with the policy that was implemented

The problem with your posts bg is that you do assume that people who disagree with your views are racists when that's not the case. I have stepped out of bounds of my personal beliefs and exposed myself to your qualifications of being a racist when I am not. you actually did call everyone who disagreed with you on the swimming pool topic as racist. I am not a racist but I disagreed with the policy that was implemented

You are what you believe you are. When I read something that I consider racist then I point it out. If you feel you have been caught in that net then I apologize - that was not my intent.

I have been called many things on this board. I consider the source and evaluate that criticism based on the source - then move on.

Some folks have called me stupid, misinformed, moronic, insane etc and yet get upset when I disagree with them. Why? If I thought that someone was stupid, misinformed, moronic, insane etc then I certainly would not care what they think or post. And in most cases that is my reaction.

Why do the indignant care what I think?

You are what you believe you are. When I read something that I consider racist then I point it out. If you feel you have been caught in that net then I apologize - that was not my intent.

I have been called many things on this board. I consider the source and evaluate that criticism based on the source - then move on.

Some folks have called me stupid, misinformed, moronic, insane etc and yet get upset when I disagree with them. Why? If I thought that someone was stupid, misinformed, moronic, insane etc then I certainly would not care what they think or post. And in most cases that is my reaction.

Why do the indignant care what I think?

Of course that was/is your intent. You can't shout down everybody and every topic with the word racist and say that wasn't your intent - there can be no other intent than to attack. It's as if you believe that the word "racist" is the nuclear bomb of arguments and if you use it, it's an automatic win.

Of course that was/is your intent. You can't shout down everybody and every topic with the word racist and say that wasn't your intent - there can be no other intent than to attack. It's as if you believe that the word "racist" is the nuclear bomb of arguments and if you use it, it's an automatic win.

Shout down? You know we're writing here, yeah?

..., it's an automatic win.

That is the problem for many posters on this board - you look at postings and sharing opinions as a "win" or a "loss" - like some kind of game. I do not play that game. I state what I feel and what I read in world events. I read others responses and if they disagree and make sense to me then I investigate in greater detail to check the validity of their argument. There have been times when, after investigation, I have changed my opinion.

If that is not the intent of participation here then why bother? I would never accept some anonymous opinion as valid - if it comes from a credible poster and differs from mine then I check it out.

A "win" or "lose"?

No thank you. I am not here to play games.