Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

The mods should f-- off and let the conversation go where it goes. I've never seen another forum where mods or members have a stick up their asses about this.

The MLW moderators don't set these rules, we just try to apply them to the forum.

It's not a question of wanting to start a separate conversation. It's about participating in a conversation already in progress that naturally evolves as it progresses.

It is not a 'conversation' - it's a forum thread which might be analogous to a transcript of a bunch of 1-on-1 conversations between individuals entering and leaving a room.

That means if one conversation goes off-track, and another one does also... pretty soon your CPC leadership "thread" is about Ontario Teachers, millennials and ... if you go 500 pages back... Ferguson Missouri...

Without consequence? He locked it! Not even a #StopThreadDrift.

#StopThreadDrift as a warning works to get the thread back on track but after pages and pages of thread drift... the thread just needs a reboot. Pages and pages of drift can easily happen if Charles and I are away from the forum .... even for a short while.

But apparently locking the thread instead of moderating it isn't nazi enough, we need to start suspending too??

One thing that isn't up for discussion is how the moderators apply the rules. Warning and suspensions have been issued for thread drift.

You can PM me if you have questions about the rules but please read them again first - see the link at the bottom right.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After locking a derailed thread, we invite the membership to continue and or re-start the discussion by re-opening a new thread.

Sorry, what I mean is that locking the thread punishes those who want to discuss/read the topic of the thread.

Sorry, you are misrepresenting reality. Nobody is being punished.

After locking a derailed thread, we invite the membership to continue and or re-start the discussion by re-opening a new thread. Sorry, you are misrepresenting reality. Nobody is being punished.

For those of us who were enjoying the thread prior to the drift it sure feels like punishment.

The discontinuity between this thread and the new thread just does not make it seem the same.

There was a good discussion going, even with some positive contributions from the guy I mostly blame for the threads' demise.

So why not delete the last 2 or 3 pages tell people nothing personal but most of those posts were off topic and let her rip?

One thing that isn't up for discussion is how the moderators apply the rules. Warning and suspensions have been issued for thread drift.

Which is incredibly stupid. Stop that.

Rebooting the thread is even dumber. The conversation can just continue in another thread -- what is the difference? You're just causing interference, you're not actually providing a positive service to anyone.

So I removed Shady's status update, which contained a significant Game of Thrones spoiler.

And now Shady and Bush-Cheney-2004 are mad about it.

Anybody else want to voice their opinions?

-k

So I removed Shady's status update, which contained a significant Game of Thrones spoiler.

So what ? Who appointed you as the culture cop ? It's an American production, not Canadian.

Can't spoil the plot for illegally downloaded HBO content in Canada ? ROFL !

And now Shady and Bush-Cheney-2004 are mad about it.

Anybody else want to voice their opinions?

Better update forum rules...no "spoilers" allowed !

Better update forum rules...no "spoilers" allowed !

I think it's covered under "don't be a douchebag." If we don't have that rule, we should consider adding it.

-k

No it isn't....deleting that status update was an overreach and abuse of power.

I strongly disagree, but maybe Charles and Michael will have a different opinion.

You can now expect many more in the future because it happened.

Going to spoil the ending of M*A*S*H for us next time?

-k

I strongly disagree, but maybe Charles and Michael will have a different opinion.

This is a sad day for the honour and bristerhood of forum facilitators around the world. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Going to spoil the ending of M*A*S*H for us next time?

Only if it is the most popular illegal download of American media in Canada.

People who splash spoilers across the front page are douchebags. Not going to name any names though ;).

Exactly. Kimmy you did good. Keep it in the GoT thread. Here's the rule that was broken, as Kimmy saw it:

"Be Polite and Respect Others

Mapleleafweb operates these forums in the hopes that they will promote intelligent, honest and responsible discussion. We encourage you to speak your mind on relevant issues in a thoughtful way. Please respect others using this board and treat them with respect and dignity."

I think this rule should generally be enforced more often btw.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Posting spoilers without warning is a universally-recognized breech of internet forum etiquette. I absolutely refuse to apologize to Shady, and feel absolutely no remorse. I will gladly do the same in the future if required, over and over, until such time as my badge is taken away.

If you object to that, BC2004, you could certainly follow Shady's lead. Vote with your feet.

-k

Posting spoilers without warning is a universally-recognized breech of internet forum etiquette. I absolutely refuse to apologize to Shady, and feel absolutely no remorse. I will gladly do the same in the future if required, over and over, until such time as my badge is taken away.

Good, because you are going to be very busy in the future.

Directive: "Must protect plot elements for popular and illegally downloaded content in Canada". HBO is a Canadian Charter right !

If you object to that, BC2004, you could certainly follow Shady's lead. Vote with your feet.

Fat chance....you just created a wonderful new play thing around here. Thanks !