Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi msj, from memory I recall that the membership asked for more leeway in the off-topic discussion so we accommodated that.

Why was it granted?

Is this the same leeway given re: the use of junior in names?

Because these are awfully boneheaded decisions, imo.

--- because it is usually light-hearted-enough in those sub-forums that it does litle to derail discussions.That is purely an observation.

So it's ok to put the term "rape" into someone's name (by the forum facilitator no less) because it's all in good fun.

I mean, really?

Wow, my opinion of this place just dropped significantly.

For the record, I haven't seen the John Oliver clip. I wonder if John Oliver has ever ridiculed his friend Jon Stewart for not using Jonathan Leibowitz as his stage name?

-k

The John Oliver bit was, in part, a response to Trump's attacks on Jon Stewart for changing his name. Trump attacked Jon for comments he'd made. Trump seems incredibly thin skinned for a politician; perhaps as president he'd make it a capital offense to insult him.

To me, the sound of the word "Drumpf" just seems such a good fit for Trump's publc persona - dumb, incoherent, belligerent. Not so much heritage or xenophobia. But no doubt it's a joke with a short shelf life.

For the record, I haven't seen the John Oliver clip. I wonder if John Oliver has ever ridiculed his friend Jon Stewart for not using Jonathan Leibowitz as his stage name?

-k

The John Oliver bit was, in part, a response to Trump's attacks on Jon Stewart for changing his name. Trump attacked Jon for comments he'd made. Trump seems incredibly thin skinned for a politician; perhaps as president he'd make it a capital offense to insult him.

I missed this the first time so thanks for bringing it to our attention dialamah.

Face palm here Kimmy.

I am amazed at the number of people who are commenting on "Dumpf" without even knowing the hilarious origins of it.

Of course, there is a certain amount of hypocrisy here as I too shoot from the hip for no good reason. But really?

You have made some pretty substantive comments out of ignorance over this issue and if you were not a forum facilitator perhaps you would deserve a pass like the rest of us.

But man, just a face palm....

Yay I got a warning point for posting VIDEOS, but the trolling is allowed.

This is really really stupid.

The video rule has been in place for a long time now, and since some people haven't picked up on it I started warning people so they will stop posting images directly in the threads.

The video rule has been in place for a long time now, and since some people haven't picked up on it I started warning people so they will stop posting images directly in the threads.

It's a stupid rule. You are more diligent with dealing with this videos thing than actual trolling, yet classifying my post as image trolling.

Something is amiss here dude.

It's a stupid rule. You are more diligent with dealing with this videos thing than actual trolling, yet classifying my post as image trolling.

Something is amiss here dude.

We address trolling just as quickly but trolling is far more subjective than posting of videos.

I was PMing people for months about posting videos directly, but it was still happening so now I have started warning people. Believe me, it has nothing to do with you.

I have to agree that people referring to Trump as "Drumpf" is ridiculous.

What's the point of it? It seems to serve no purpose other than an attempt to mock Trump, and is probably against the rules. At least the "Trudeau Jr" moniker serves the debatably valid purpose of distinguishing him from the other PM Trudeau. Referring to Trump as "Drumpf" doesn't even have that little figleaf going for it.

Whenever I see 'Trudeau Jr' used in this forum, it is not used to distinguish him from his father. There is no misunderstanding on which Trudeau the poster is referring to. Just have a look at August's posts. They are clearly not used in a complimentary manner nor as a distinction between the two. It is being used in a derogatory manner and he continues to use it when he knows it's not his proper name.

Can we have a discussion about videos and images, please? I'm in favour of allowing embedded content as long as it meets the forum rules and guidelines for text content, I.e., are not memes used to troll or insult. It's a standard feature of forum software everywhere these days and we should be embracing the nature of online content as not linear text but rather a medium of a rhizomatic nature. Requiring hyperlinking, as opposed to embedding images and videos, breaks the reader's immersion in the topic and makes it easier to ignore what is sometimes a salient element of the discussion.

Further to the point, I believe we should have even more integration. I contacted Greg in the past about looking into the broken Twitter embed function because I think it could add some more tools for furthering discussions here. He seemed amenable to the idea, but I realize this forum is little more than a curious hobby these days.

Feel free to make this post its own thread if you want, but I think the membership and mods should have an open discussion about this rule.

Edited by cybercoma

We address trolling just as quickly but trolling is far more subjective than posting of videos.

I was PMing people for months about posting videos directly, but it was still happening so now I have started warning people. Believe me, it has nothing to do with you.

Part of the reason it happens so often is that the forum software defaults to an embedded video when you simply write the URL. On mobile phones and tablets it's a huge pain in the ass to disable that by using BB code for the URL.

Can we have a discussion about videos and images, please? I'm in favour of allowing embedded content as long as it meets the forum rules and guidelines for text content, I.e., are not memes used to troll or insult. It's a standard feature of forum software everywhere these days and we should be embracing the nature of online content as not linear text but rather a medium of a rhizomatic nature. Requiring hyperlinking, as opposed to embedding images and videos, breaks the reader's immersive in the topic and makes it easier to ignore what is sometimes a salient element of the discussion.

Further to the point, I believe we should have even more integration. I contacted Greg in the past about looking into the broken Twitter embed function because I think it could add some more tools for furthering discussions here. He seemed amenable to the idea, but I realize this forum is little more than a curious hobby these days.

Feel free to make this post its own thread if you want, but I think the membership and mods should have an open discussion about this rule.

It doesn't seem like much evolution has happened with this forum. Granted, as CC has suggested, 'this is little more than a curious hobby' and I would agree. However, by evolving to integrate with social media in some way will increase the membership.

But I think to me what's really funny about this "Drumpf" business is that the people who are having fun with it are the same people who get in a knot when somebody spells out the President's middle name. Barack HUSSEIN Obama. What's wrong with that? It's his name, right? So what's the problem? The problem is, it's an obvious attempt to appeal to xenophobia. Likewise Drumpf.

....If you met Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would you insist on referring to him as Lou Alcindor? If you met Mohammad Ali, would you insist on referring to him as Cassius Clay?

How could it be "xenophobia" from Canada ? All your examples are from the United States ! The depth and range of American culture's impact on Canada never ceases to amaze me given the even larger amount of loathing and criticism.

I merely sought a technical ruling and clarification on "Drumpf" given recent moderator directives on names and suffixes.

Can we have a discussion about videos and images, please? I'm in favour of allowing embedded content as long as it meets the forum rules and guidelines for text content, I.e., are not memes used to troll or insult. It's a standard feature of forum software everywhere these days and we should be embracing the nature of online content as not linear text but rather a medium of a rhizomatic nature. Requiring hyperlinking, as opposed to embedding images and videos, breaks the reader's immersion in the topic and makes it easier to ignore what is sometimes a salient element of the discussion.

Here's the starting point, then:

Posting Images

Only use images when necessary and only to move the discussion forward. If you feel that images enhance the discussion, please use them sparingly, tastefully and in a way that does not break or otherwise distract from the forum's layout.

Please post links to videos rather than putting the video URL directly into a post, as the software will render an image into your post whether you intend that or not.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Here's the starting point, then:

Posting ImagesOnly use images when necessary and only to move the discussion forward. If you feel that images enhance the discussion, please use them sparingly, tastefully and in a way that does not break or otherwise distract from the forum's layout. [/size]Please post links to videos rather than putting the video URL directly into a post, as the software will render an image into your post whether you intend that or not.[/size] [/size]

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

I get that this is the rules. That's why I made an argument against a significant portion of it.