Boeing 777 Disappears Near Vietnam

Big Guy

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are systems available. I am familiar with one brand named Skytrack. It does link to satellite and knows where you are at all times as long as you have power on. You can also make and recieve phone calls with it. There is also an emergency button that causes phones to ring and alarms to go off on computer screens that are pre set. Very expensive, but where we were working, you often had no other form of comms. and there were people on the ground with large guns who hated us. Airlines don't typically face that so they don't bother with the expense. However it may now come to that after the 370 case.

You just can't stay away from the personal attacks can you! I won't report this one but don't try the same on me.

It's not a personal attack. He either doesn't know of the service and the cost, or he's purposely being dishonest. Because what he says, just isn't true. The Malaysian airline declined to subscribe to a service that's of a modest price, which one would think would be a no brainer on an airplane of that size and scope.

It's not a personal attack. He either doesn't know of the service and the cost, or he's purposely being dishonest. Because what he says, just isn't true. The Malaysian airline declined to subscribe to a service that's of a modest price, which one would think would be a no brainer on an airplane of that size and scope.

And just how many airlines do you think have this system?

I would say calling me dishonest is a bit of a personal attack. Especially as it flies in the face of your lack of knowledge on the subject. But as I have already pointed out, I just consider the source.

Then try saying it that way instead of accusing others of ignorance or dishonesty. Or don't and I'll continue to report your bad behavious. Your choice!

Why do you think that ? I can't see how it will ever be found if it hasn't been found yet. There are many examples of missing planes that weren't found.

Because they won't stop looking, and because a plane that size has never disappeared before. We need to know what happened.

Just heard the last part of an interview on CNN with some of the leading a/c manufaturers where it was suggested that as a result of 370 future airliners will likely come equipped with full time tracking systems. The Airbus guy mentioned the cost of the software at 200k. Ouch. I was trying to look uip the cost of the Skytrac systems I have used before but I can't seem to find a number. I didn't think they were quite that pricey. However, that figure would certainly pale compared to what must have been spent so far looking for 370. Not to mention with systems such as Skytrac, a simple push of a button alerts the people who need to know the instant you have a problem, so help can be on it's way even before you hit the deck.

Just heard the last part of an interview on CNN with some of the leading a/c manufaturers where it was suggested that as a result of 370 future airliners will likely come equipped with full time tracking systems. The Airbus guy mentioned the cost of the software at 200k. Ouch. I was trying to look uip the cost of the Skytrac systems I have used before but I can't seem to find a number. I didn't think they were quite that pricey. However, that figure would certainly pale compared to what must have been spent so far looking for 370. Not to mention with systems such as Skytrac, a simple push of a button alerts the people who need to know the instant you have a problem, so help can be on it's way even before you hit the deck.

When you pay a few million for the plane, what is an extra 200K ? These airliners must pay insurance to operate the planes right? For liability? Why not put a law in place demanding they put this in and they could save a few bucks on their plane insurance. We are tossed a similar carrot when operating a vehicle on the roads.

When you pay a few million for the plane, what is an extra 200K ? These airliners must pay insurance to operate the planes right? For liability? Why not put a law in place demanding they put this in and they could save a few bucks on their plane insurance. We are tossed a similar carrot when operating a vehicle on the roads.

And if they can put GPS in a car, or a system like ONStar that can detect crashes and when a driver is in danger or something like that. I don't buy it that it is too expensive to put on an airliner if it can be done on a huge mass scale with car manufacturers.

And if they can put GPS in a car, or a system like ONStar that can detect crashes and when a driver is in danger or something like that. I don't buy it that it is too expensive to put on an airliner if it can be done on a huge mass scale with car manufacturers.

Oh I am quite sure it will happen. As you say, compared to the price of a new 777 it's chump change.Plus one would imagine that as more and more "customers" sign on the Inmarsat or whoever they are using will come down.

They all need to transmit a recordable signal to a satellite. I bet it's readily available and cheap too. Maybe some airlines don't want anybody knowing where their aircraft are at all times?

Any airline I can think of files a flight plan which says where it will be at all times. and then before takeoff you get a clearance from ATC which aknowledges that plan. It will also include a xponder code which points out on radar exactly where you are. Of course there are gaps in the radar coverage such as mid ocean etc. which I would imagine the airlines would prefer weren't there because I think if I had hundreds of millions of dollars tied up in anything I'd like to keep track of it. ICAO is not the speediest at getting changes done but IATA may beat them to it and you will see airlines shelling out the dough to gear up for full time monitoring.

• 1 year later...

A piece of a wing of a Boeing 777 has been found on a remote Island.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/29/piece-of-plane-wing-found-on-a-la-reunion-island-could-be-from-missing-flight-mh370-5318318/

Is this our missing airliner?

Interesting. It seems to be in a place that might be commensurate with where the plane seems to have gone missing. Of course there was also that 777 that went down off Comoros. Don't know how the prevailing winds/currents fit the theory but I'm sure there will be a lot of experts examining this chunk of aluminum.

There is a strong possibility this could have come from the MH370 simply because no 777 has ever crashed in this area. If anything it's a good opportunity to listen to those experts in aviation. I always enjoyed listening to them. Such a different mindset from politicians.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Unfortunately the paint seems to be well gone off this piece, and I doubt there are any serial #s on this type of airframe piece that could positively ID it. One thing I guess to start with would be to assess what configuration the aircraft was in when this piece broke off. i.e. cruise flight or extended for landing etc.