Why Canada's liberals are terrified of Fox News

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that figures; don't bother quoting it to us posters who prefer unbiased news to make an argument not propaganda at the most immature level. ok.

Just as long as you do the reciprocal with the CBC.

Time will tell how long Fox News will survive up here. We gave Howard Stern a chance but don't hear much of him lately.

Good point.

Just as long as you do the reciprocal with the CBC.

Don't you really think that the CBC does a pretty good job? I did not like the debates largely because of the leaders, but I thought the CBC did a great job with the interactive one on one discussions especially the town halls. I like the CBC but I hate the way they too frequently draw upon US news esp. for foriegn news.

When we criticize the media, I don't think it is just enough to say it is left or right. News is supposed to be objective as possible or discuss both sides. My problem is that all media is homogenized and usually done from a US perspective.

I'm not afraid of FOX news. I just wouldn't watch it. For news I watch TVO and CBC. I watch the first 10 minutes of the National every night. I trust Peter Mansbridge more than Sean Hannity.

What are right wingers going to do now that their favorite myth has been officially discredited? Find new lies to peddle, I guess...

.......Order it as soon as my cable provider has it.

Now if we could just stop paying for the Communist Broadcasting Corporation and replace it with FOX.

To all:

<_<

I just read the entire thread of this FOX thing when it started from June, 5 months ago. Many things were stated, most of them in disagreement with the quality and type of station that FOX is. A thought or two it I may.

I have done some travelling in Canada and the US, lived here most of my life and some in California. I have found the American people for the most part charming, intelligent and harder working than many of my own countrymen/women. That is to say, for those who work there is reward, for those who do not, life is not so good. Here in Canada, those who do not work can pretty well. For those who do work, they will do okay, but darn it all, don't we get just a little miffed at those who play the system.

I have watched the CBC and liked much, but have also been appauled at some of the opinions and information minimized if it did not fit with the ruling bodies biased Leftist views. The social agenda here seems to be okay with many of this threads contributors, all in the name of free speech I suspect eventhough that phrase did not appear. What troubles me is that the version of FOX's free speech seems to bother the Left. Why is it only the Left gets to give its view. I suspect there is fear there.

I have seen FOX News and frankly was refreshed to see some real commentary with teeth devoid of the Ministry of Doublespeak's intrusion. Okay, maybe it's not everyone's cup on tea ... then don't watch it. I would like to hear opposing points of view to assess and achieve my own opinion, not just what the politically correct Left tells me in the CBC ... by the way I like Mansbridge too, but he is only the vehicle of presentation, not the editor.

For gosh sakes, all you southpaws who profess democracy, freedom of speech and fair play for all, get off your high horse and read a book once in a while, or at least a book that does not come from your own agenda. Only learning both sides, or many sides, to a discussion does one arrive at a credible opinion.

By the way, to suggest that Gerry Springer and Howard Stern are typical of FOX News is just plain stupid. One is a huckster and the other a schlock pig. There was one writer who used the reference, 'or so I've heard'. Please make up your own mind and stop jumping on bandwagons created by fearmongerers.

I am very glad that FOX is here.

White Rabbit

I have seen FOX News and frankly was refreshed to see some real commentary with teeth devoid of the Ministry of Doublespeak's intrusion.

Pshaw. Again, the only reason you find Fox News "refreshing" is because they are telling you what you want to hear.

Only learning both sides, or many sides, to a discussion does one arrive at a credible opinion.

Which is how I came to my current political mindset: I realized today's conservatives are, by and large, unprincipled hypocrites.

By the way, to suggest that Gerry Springer and Howard Stern are typical of FOX News is just plain stupid. One is a huckster and the other a schlock pig. There was one writer who used the reference, 'or so I've heard'. Please make up your own mind and stop jumping on bandwagons created by fearmongerers.

I've seen and heard enough of Fox News' bilge to say that its level of debate is only marginally better than Springer's. But such is the case throughout America's political discourse.

The Freedom to speak does not include the freedom to lie and distort news and events. That is not any way that you will see both sides of a story or idea. Both sides means a differnt perception of events and beliefs. It does not mean distortin them or, in the case of a news outlet, hiding the truth.

Fox News is a propaganda machine. It is no better than Goebbels apparatus and has no place in a democratic society.

Alrighty then.

I am not opposed to having Fox News. I've stated elsewhere that the news itself is okay, the commentators are nuts.

Here's an excerpt from John Gibson's "My Word" from December 2, 2004, just yesterday.

This is the country[Canada] whose politicians called President Bush a moron, and referred to Americans as bastards, and refused to help in a war the U.S. wanted to fight — in fact, refuses to believe that the 9/11 attacks on America were unprovoked. The U.S. had it coming, they say.

I have several issues with these statements, but the one that irks me most is ..."in fact, refuses to believe that the 9/11 attacks on America were unprovoked. The U.S. had it coming, they say."

I have never heard such a crock in my life. Canadians, whether they are politicians or not regard 9/11 as murderous lunacy which nobody deserves.

I assume he is talking about Chrétien's interview.

Chrétien said:

You cannot exercise your powers to the point of humiliation for the others. And that is what the Western world – not only the Americans, the Western world – has to realize. Because they are human beings, too

and

And necessarily, we're looked upon as being arrogant, self-satisfied, greedy and with no limits. And the 11th of September is an occasion for me to realize it even more.

I don't consider that saying anyone deserved anything.

For the record, Chrétien said the attacks were "...a cowardly act of unspeakable violence..."

I have never watched Fox News, but I go to their website several times a day just to see what lies, mistruths and half truths Gibson, Cavuto and O'Reilly are "informing" the American public with about Canada.

You know what, it isn't pretty.

O'Reilly has stated on more than one occassion in the last couple of years that marijauna has been legalised.

Has anyone else missed that announcement?

• 4 weeks later...
can choose whether or not to pay for it (ie. it should be something that you can choose to have for anouther fraction of the cable bill).
Canadians do not have the choice of 'whether or not to subsidize US cable garbage'. It comes with your basic cable subscription. All of the 'quality channels' are the add-ons. About 10 years ago I asked my cable provider to NOT have ABC, CBS and NBC as part of what I would be willing to pay for, and they told me NO. You must pay for these and then you can decide what you would additionally like to have. I have since given up watching television, save for a few news and history shows and specials. (The wife loves 'the grinch' every year, but it keeps on getting more and more edited) 'Freedom of choice', my fanny.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for digging this topic up again, but for the month of January my digital cable provider has been having a "free preview month". This didn't really "excite" me, since I already subscribe to all the channels that intrest me, until tuesday morning when in my feverish state, all doped-up on Neo-Citron and Buckleys, I noticed up in the really high channels (where one would find the likes of Hustler, Greek Soap Operas and re-runs of three's Company and Batman) the FOX News Channel.

Now I fully admit a right-wing bias on the part of myself, but to be totally honest, [EDIT] I didn't see one on FOX (as of yet). Infact, I even noticed some polite "jabs" at the right.....they aired the new JibJab cartoon which mocks Bush and interviewed the creators.

And even though it may sound unlikely, even Bill O'Reilly was questioning the sences in spending 40 million dollars on the Bush Inauguration........

IMHO FOX News has a faster pace than CNN or CBC Newsworld, less idle banter between anchors and more importantly, like they say in their (new?) motto:

"We report, you decide"

Of the regular anchors, I regonize and like Chris Wallace, Tony Snow and Brit Hume (also from Fox news Sunday, which can be seen on the regular FOX network) and Greta Van Susteren (was once a legal expert on CNN). Added to a few new faces (to me) like Shepard Smith, Linda Vester and Neil Cavuto.

I also look forward to watching Oliver North's program this weekend.......I'll pass on Geraldo Rivera.... ;)

Now this brings me to one of my new favorite television programs......ta-da.......the The O'Reilly Factor

The show's frigging awsome.......and not what I expected at all.....the first night I watched it, he had on as his focal guests Zell Miller and Donald Trump. Tonight he had on a former Bush speechwriter, Benjamin Netanyahu and very inspirational interview with Jerry Lewis.

I still enjoy Larry King and Dennis Miller, but neither hold a candle to O'Reilly in terms of interviewing style and entertainment value.....

IOW.......check and see if your local cable provider is doing a free preview and if they carry FOX News..........I'd recomend the station to any other fellow News/Current events/political junkies.......be you of the right, left or middle.

But even Hannity has Alan Colmes there keeping him honest.

They are on after O'Reilly right? I'll have to check them out......did they have on Lynn Cheney the other night?

I agree 100%, it is a breath a fresh air.......

But honestly, I haven't found any bias as of yet on the actual news reporting.......I like the format, espacially how they have a quick, to the point, update(d) every 15-30 mins report, instead of the standard "loop" reporting that is common on Newsworld and CNN.

And for a great example of a hysterical leftie rant about Fox News Channel possibly coming to Canada, read this. Note the typical liberal condescendation this leftie has for the "unwashed masses" that watch Fox News. :D

Did you read this part?

But when the CRTC invited comment on bringing the channel to Canada, fully 85 per cent of the 600 respondents voiced support. A few domestic broadcasters objected for competitive reasons, and a handful of critics on both sides of the border wrote in complaining that Fox is biased. But on the whole, Canadians seem unafraid to add a nakedly partisan presence to the dial.

"Hysterical"? It's a pretty relaxed, entertaining article.

IMR, did you watch the Factor tonight.............Bill formaly welcomed Canadian viewers to the program :D