Why Canada's liberals are terrified of Fox News

The problem with that is that Fox News is not offering different opinions to us. It is offering American news from its owners perspective.

Let us have all the different opinions possible but we do not have to have another American news channel. I would say there is a better case for adding some European views - or Asiatic.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read some of the posts in this thread (not all).

Do we really need another 24 hr/day American news channel?

I have cable TV.

Currently, I have access to 48 channels.

5 of those are local advertising, channel guide, that sort of thing with no programming.

24 of those are specialty channels, sports, kids, religious, music, etc.

That leaves 17 channels.

Out of that 17, 3 are Canadian news/political channels. Newsnet, Newsworld and CPAC.

That leaves 14 channels for regular programming. Out of that 14, 8 are American channels.

I bring all this up because right now the 3rd Presidential debate is on.

Out of 14 channels that have regular programming on them, the debate is on 8.

It took me that long to figure this out that I forgot where I was going with it. :D

I think it was something like we get enough of the American perspective as it is.

I know it is a news channel, and I've stated elsewhere that I like the news items from Fox (for the most part), it's the commentary that goes off course.

I don't know. It's late and I'm tired and I may just be rambling. ;)

This link works.

I'll be honest and admit that I rarely watch TV. If someone said "O'Reilly" to me, I would think first of a pub.

The Smoking Gun however is a great web site. Lotsa fun, as this affidavit shows. (Check out the mug shot section.)

One word of caution: the affidavit is no doubt legit but it's just an affidavit. People can declare anything they want in an affidavit (and frequently do).

For another, it's manifestly against what a free society should stand for. The beauty of such a society is that we can hold and express differing opinions and have the freedom to turn away from those we violently disagree with. Basically, if you don't like Faux News, don't watch it.

Give me a break. No body is stopping you from holding any warped views that you wish. If you want to watch fox news that badly move to the USA or watch one of the other American tv stations that send a proliferation of American opinion already flowing freely into Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

The simple fact of the matter is that there is no more influential station in the US than Fox News. Before Fox News, the Democrats controlled Congress for 40-50 years. Single handedly, Fox News has negated network news bias. Fair and Balanced, in that way yes, it balanced the news landscape. And ironies of ironies, it is owned by an Australian.

Canada, being Canada, likes being antiAmerican. Fox is dangerous because it might sway public opinion in an uncomfortable way. If 8 of 14 channels are American, take one of the eight off an put on Fox. If for no other reason, if I were Canadian, I would be curious to know what all the fuss was about.

I think it's ridiculous how biased the media has become. Canada refused Fox News from airing its broadcast to Canadians, because they feel Fox news is so biased, So I ask all of you, what about ABC news and NBC news. All of this is stupid, and i think it insults intelligence of Canadians cause not refusing Fox News would allow more American influence into Canada. If that is what they're cooncerned about than they should remove other biased newscasting, like ABC and NBC. Whatever happened to objectivity, I guess its just a thing of the past. But I would appreciate that ALL news media admit that they're biased instead of claiming they're not.

Caesar, I know you and many other people see Fox news as biased, but don't single Fox out, My point is that all of them are biased so on the grounds that they refused Fox to be aired here because they're biased is stupid cause they're airing many biased newscatings right now. They need to come up with legitimate claims, not half baked ones

I have heard many American tv shows poking fun at Fox news. Why do we want yet another crappy news source? What incredible alternative viewpoint do they offer as opposed to CNN, CNN Headline News (brief edition for those with short attention spans), CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC etc. etc. etc? My only fear of Fox is that I would have yet another station to eliminate on my remote but be FORCED to pay for. That's choice? No thanx.

• 2 weeks later...

I find most of the media is just trash anyways. I really don't care what letters go beside their crap. Investigative journalism died long ago in favour of pretty graphics, shiny lights and sensationalism. Just one more crappy channel that I am gonna have to delete but probably pay for through my provider.

I wish that they would let me pick individual channels for a reasonable price rather than these bundles. Pathetic cartel.

Well, it's the end of the world as we know it. :D

CRTC Approves FoxNews for Canada.

Oh no! What are right wingers going to do now that their favorite myth has been officially discredited? Find new lies to peddle, I guess...

I find most of the media is just trash anyways. I really don't care what letters go beside their crap. Investigative journalism died long ago in favour of pretty graphics, shiny lights and sensationalism. Just one more crappy channel that I am gonna have to delete but probably pay for through my provider.

I think the news media is a good way to guage the zeitgeist. From Fox News' overtly partisan hackery to the prevelance of "soft" news and other "infotainment", it's clear we live in stupid times.

Fox News is an abominable oxymoron. The fact that the CRTC has given the nod to Fox pounds another nail in the coffin of Canadian enlightenment.

Any t.v./radio station, newspaper (American or otherwise) which endorses the U.S.A.'s preemptive strike on Iraq which has resulted in the slaughter of 10's of thousands of Iraqi citizens and maimed 10's of thousands more is nothing short of obscene. And isn't it easy to champion slaughter and prisoner abuse when you're not subject to it yourself.

It's through the kind of propaganda spewed out by Fox which helps rally the ignorant to arms. Sad to say, but the day will come when the watchers of Fox will finally "get it." But alas, it will be too late. It's clear to me that Fox and its followers won't be calling for a halt any time soon to the spilling of blood by their own young soldiers. And yet so many Americans, and to a lesser degree, Canadians buy into Fox's line. What irony. Fox.

My only hope is that Canadians will prove to be sufficiently principled as to boycott Fox among other stations who promote wholesale slaughter of a defenceless nation. Unfortunately, lack of principle knows no borders.

What are right wingers going to do now that their favorite myth has been officially discredited? Find new lies to peddle, I guess...

.......Order it as soon as my cable provider has it.