Why Canada's liberals are terrified of Fox News

NEW YORK -- For the first time in its history, Fox News Channel beat the combined competition in primetime during the third quarter of 2004...

According to Nielsen Media Research, Fox News averaged 1.8 million viewers, while CNN, MSNBC, CNBC and Headline News averaged a combined total of 1.7 million. The quarter ended Sunday.

Earlier this week, Bill O'Reilly's interview with President Bush on Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor" drew a whopping 4.6 million viewers.

Fox News had 9 of the 10 top programs during the third quarter, with O'Reilly remaining at No. 1, averaging 2.4 million viewers. The one exception was CNN's "Larry King Live," which was No. 6, averaging 1.3 million viewers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's why Canada's CRTC (which is stacked with unelected liberal hacks) has banned Fox News from Canada.

And for a great example of a hysterical leftie rant about Fox News Channel possibly coming to Canada, read this. Note the typical liberal condescendation this leftie has for the "unwashed masses" that watch Fox News. :D

I tell ya, there's nothing funnier than a good leftie rant. They're pure comedy gold. :lol:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can soemone show me the CRTC ruling that bans Fox news, or somethign of the sort? Every oen claims it like it is common knowledge, but I have never seen a bill that says NO FOX allowed. Personalyl its television I don't like CBC, so i watch CTV and so on and so forth no one is forcing anyone to watch anyhtign so FOX should be allowed in Canada. however is there something I can see from the CRTC, directly, that says Fox is not allowed?

Newfie, I'm glad you make the distinction between the actual Fox News and it's commentator programs like O'Reilly. The ignorant left often uses it's commentators to try to prove right wing bias in Fox News. Most Canadians who bag on Fox have never even seen it.

The CRTC does not allow the Fox News chanel in Canada. From time to time a cable provider will make a request to provide Fox News and the CRTC will deny the request and post it on their web site. If you email them the question they'll email you back an answer. But be aware that it might just be BS. Their answer to me was that no cable provider had requested it.CRTC

Interesting that the "ignorant left....." What about the 99% of the Left who are not ignorant? How do all those ignorant right - the majority judging by the numbers of Fox viewers - ever deal with reality of the bias if they never get to see the more balanced media?

Let me correct myself. In 2000, the CRTC approved Global application to provide something called "Fox News Canada" with a deadline for implementation (extended) of 2004. Global never implemented it because Fox News in the US didn't agree.

The CCTA attached to its request a letter dated 31 March 2004 from Fox News, the non-Canadian partner in Fox News Canada. In that letter, Fox News addressed the Fox News Canada service as follows: "Fox News does not intend to implement this service and therefore will not meet the extended deadline to commence operations."

The CCTA (Canadian Cable Television Assoc) is making the 2004 application to carry Fox News.

Here is the CRTC decision approving Global's 2000 application to carry Fox News Canada. Note the following terms:

a) The licensee shall provide a national English-language Category 2 specialty television service blending a Canadian domestic perspective with an American-style news service. The service will provide regional news reports and public affairs programming from across Canada, enhanced by a general news service provided by Fox News.

----

The CRTC is a gold mine for lawyers. And the money is all off-budget. We provide the goldmine not through our taxes but through cable fees and higher advertising costs. Want a chalet in the south of France? Become a regulatory lawyer in Ottawa.

lefty rants are funny... take Al Franken as an example. hilarious!

now why is it that right wing rants are NEVER funny?

P. J. O'Rourke, Eat the Rich

A conservative, prosperous, American journalist gadding around the world laughing at all the ways less successful nations screw up their economy--this might not sound like the recipe for a great read, unless you're Rush Limbaugh, but if that journalist is P.J. O'Rourke you can be sure that you'll enjoy the ride even if you don't agree with the politics.

That's why Canada's CRTC (which is stacked with unelected liberal hacks) has banned Fox News from Canada.

When will the dunderheads of the right cease parroting this tired O'Reilly lie?

And for a great example of a hysterical leftie rant about Fox News Channel possibly coming to Canada, read this. Note the typical liberal condescendation this leftie has for the "unwashed masses" that watch Fox News.
With respect to "The O'Reilly Factor", "viewers of the Fox News Channel's signature show are only 24% more likely than the average adult to have four or more years of college education and, amazingly, are 15% less likely than the average adult to have a household income of greater than $75,000 and an occupation of 'professional, owner or manager'.”

Daily Show viewers out fox Fox.

The most biased name in news

A study by the Program on International Policy Attitudes found that viewers of Fox News were more likely to hold misconceptions than viewers of any other network. A staggering 80% of Fox News viewers believed at least one of three misconceptions about the War in Iraq, more than any other radio or television news source. And this behavior persists even after adjusting for viewership and political preference. Worse still, the viewers who watched the news more carefully turned out to have more misconceptions.

MISPERCEPTIONS, THE MEDIA AND THE IRAQ WAR

The "Liberal" media?

With the scandal at CBS still festering, questions are being raised about whether a felony was committed when the network broadcast apparently forged memos in an attempt to discredit George W. Bush. Yesterday, the chairman of CBS's parent company chose Hong Kong as a place to drop a little bomb. Sumner Redstone, who calls himself a "liberal Democrat," said he's supporting President Bush.

The chairman of the entertainment giant Viacom said the reason was simple: Republican values are what U.S. companies need. Speaking to some of America's and Asia's top executives gathered for Forbes magazine's annual Global CEO Conference, Mr. Redstone declared: "I look at the election from what's good for Viacom. I vote for what's good for Viacom. I vote, today, Viacom.

"I don't want to denigrate Kerry," he went on, "but from a Viacom standpoint, the election of a Republican administration is a better deal. Because the Republican administration has stood for many things we believe in, deregulation and so on. The Democrats are not bad people. . . . But from a Viacom standpoint, we believe the election of a Republican administration is better for our company."

Why can't the right speak a straight word?

Fox has not been 'banned'. It was denied a start up license, like numerous other applicant channels are every year.

Have you read the CRTC decision? Have you read the relevant legislation? Or are you venturing merely haphazard opinions here?

NEW YORK -- For the first time in its history, Fox News Channel beat the combined competition in primetime during the third quarter of 2004...

According to Nielsen Media Research, Fox News averaged 1.8 million viewers, while CNN, MSNBC, CNBC and Headline News averaged a combined total of 1.7 million. The quarter ended Sunday.

I find the association between popularity and quality to be pretty specious too.

For example: the premiere of the reality show, "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance" was seen by 19.6 million people.

50 million plus watched the finale of "Friends".

And "American Idol" draws in excess of 15 million viewers per episode.

By using Monty's logic, these shows must rank among man's greatest artistic achievments.

The ignorant left often uses it's commentators to try to prove right wing bias in Fox News.

Are you so naive as to think that the opinion cited by FoxNews commentator's don't reflect the network's ideological slant as a whole? Furthermore, do you think, in this age of "experts" and "pundits" that people make that distinction?

Fox has not been 'banned'. It was denied a start up license, like numerous other applicant channels are every year.

Have you read the CRTC decision?

Fox was never banned and it was also never denied a start up license. The CRTC gave approval for "Fox News Canada" but Fox News chose not to work with Global TV to offer that service.

At present, there is an application pending before the CRTC to offer Fox News. (The relevant CRTC links are above in this thread.)

TS, do you have other information?

Fox is very American and right wing. Sean Hannity once said that "Canada is a left wing social basketcase, what kind of friends are they?"

I think with the advent of cable tv and the many channels which it can accomodate, I am often surprised by the absense of interesting content. I think Fox is very entertaining, and MSNBC as well. Both sides are presented. Hannity is only one of the commentators on Fox. Its content is primarily American and world, but I recommend it for being very entertaining. I think for Canada to understand the US better, they should have access to Fox.

I think with the advent of cable tv and the many channels which it can accomodate, I am often surprised by the absense of interesting content. I think Fox is very entertaining, and MSNBC as well. Both sides are presented. Hannity is only one of the commentators on Fox. Its content is primarily American and world, but I recommend it for being very entertaining. I think for Canada to understand the US better, they should have access to Fox.

No thanks. If I wanted to see monkeys flinging their poo at each other, I'd just go to the zoo or turn to the Discovery Channel. ;)

Why can't the right speak a straight word?

I would like every one of our media to return to news reporting rather than politically influenced editiorials.

Or as Friday used to say; " just the facts, m'am; just the facts."

The National Post is extreme right wing and Can-West is not far behind.

Strange that we are better friends to them, instead of them to us, because we are their largest trading partner

Why strange? They are our largest trading partner, too. You don't see Canada attempting to stop trade with trumped up nonsense as does the USA constantly since the start of free trade.

PS; we are their larges trading partner at the present; but China is quickly closing the gap. Canada, reportedly, may be number 2 within 10 years.

I would like every one of our media to return to news reporting rather than politically influenced editiorials.

Or as Friday used to say; " just the facts, m'am; just the facts."

The National Post is extreme right wing and Can-West is not far behind.

I suspect that if there can not be an impartial media, then there will have to be two version of it. It is just an evolution of an industry.