US Government Shutdown Mega-Thread

I think this crisis has more to do with fundamental changes in the economy... I mean, we've been cutting taxes and spending, generally, in Canada and the US as well.

No, this crisis, if it can be called that, has more to do with the political gerrymandering in Republican states, and the big money coming from PACs supporting extremists like Cruz and Ryan and Paul. Twenty five years ago guys like this wouldn't have had a chance to get elected. They'd have been dismissed as wackos from the far right who didn't have a clue about how government operated or what it was for. But thanks to these tightly drawn electoral districts, huge money from PACs, and ,let us not forget, all the far right radio and television out there (which is supported by the same money as the PACs) we have these bozos on the national scene and taking more and more control of things. They're not far from anarchists, and they're not responsible to anyone but their paymasters, and the ignorant rabble who scream in angry delight at every thought of government being cut back further. I bet most Tea Party supporters, if asked, would just as soon there be NO government at all. "I got me ma guns to protect me! I don't need no dem guberment!"

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IOW, the tea party has enough voter sympathy to sway the moderate republicans.

Moderate Republicans? What's that?

If Ronald Reagan appeared today before a Republican gathering and tried to run for office he'd be howled down and shouted off the stage as a liberal, maybe even a Communist.

Moderate Republicans? What's that?

If Ronald Reagan appeared today before a Republican gathering and tried to run for office he'd be howled down and shouted off the stage as a liberal, maybe even a Communist.

I think there are quite a few Republicans who are not happy about this situation. One wonders at what point Boehner will become a leader and lead, rather than let the tail wag the dog.

At a macro level you see a massive shift to part time work:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101007937

no - no you can't see a massive shift on any significant level. At present there is nothing to suggest that shifts, as relatively minimal as they are, can be attributed to Obamacare. C'mon, I thought all you guys against Ocare were forever holding up this "one year delay for employers" as a measure to draw out a similar one-year day for individuals. What is it... it's being factored/it's been factored or there's a delay and measurable affects can only be seen after the employer delay period ends. Pick one! You can't have it both ways.

in any case, look to past events surrounding Ronny Raygun's reign! In 1983, in the aftermath of a Reagan recession, part-time work rose to 20.3% of total employment... similarly, in the aftermath of the 2008/2009 recession, part-time work rose to 19.7% in 2010 prior to the enactment of Obamacare... and has trended slightly higher since.

recent U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics graphic: suggesting the shift represents ~ 2-to-3% of the complete U.S. workforce

part-v-fulltime-11.jpg

another graphic focusing on examples of so-called risk employment job categories; those more likely to be vulnerable to potential employer shifts to bring hours below the 30-hour threshold for part-time designation. In the examples presented, retail bakeries down... everything else, not so much!

avg-weekly-hours-31.jpg

The GOP has a lot of problems. They're having a hard time responding to the corporatist wing and the recent surge of the tea party/libertarian wing. My guess is that the GOP is going to split and the U.S. is going to have a one party system (some would argue it's already pretty much there, with most of the influence of the major special interest groups having reached both parties). The democrats have the vote of the minorities and the women. That's enough for them to stay in power for a long time.

How much exactly does this shutdown affect the lives of average Americans? I have been under the impression that most of the day-to-day business in the USA is carried out by the states and the municipalities.

It doesn't affect the lives of most Americans very much.

What You Can and Can't Do During the Government Shutdown

no - even in the immediacy, there is an impact... one that grows significantly after 10 days or so, when interim operating funds run out for many areas only partially affected at the moment. Government shutdown: What's closed, what's open?

How much exactly does this shutdown affect the lives of average Americans? I have been under the impression that most of the day-to-day business in the USA is carried out by the states and the municipalities.

That's exactly it. Unless you have a specific need -- for example, I need to contact the IRS, which is not functioning - then you probably won't notice for a while. If you're a recent vet and want to apply for services, there's no way to do that. And of course, 'essential' services, like the FBI are still operating. The employees just aren't being paid until this business is done.

And of course, all those government agencies that shut down owe money for goods and services to a wide variety of private sector organizations (I used to be a clerk who paid bills). None of those organizations are being paid at the moment, and won't be for a while. Even after the shutdown ends it's going to take a while to run through the buildup of invoices. Also, no new services are being bought. All the contractors, such as security, restaurant and janitorial services will have laid off their employees who work on government contracts. If this continues for long larger orbganizations which require certain government oversight for their products will start laying people off too.

Edited by Argus

My position, which is the sane one, of course, is that you pass laws according to the will of the majority of the congress, and you repeal them according to the same will. The Affordable Care Act was passed and is law. End of story. If you want to stop it, you simply elect more people, including a new president, and then you repeal it.

What you don't do is to use routine money matters as blackmail. This is not the Democratic government. It's the American government. Shutting it down doesn't hurt the Democrats, it hurts the American people. The Republicans are acting like their salaries aren't enough (they aren't, of course since most American politicians are thoroughly corrupt). They're not going to do their job even on a routine housekeeping bill unless someone gives them something. And if that hurts a lot of people, well, that is literally the last thing on their minds.

And can I express some hysterical laughter here at the Republicans pointing to some small time workers getting hours cut back as their inspiration? The only time the Republicans pay attention to ordinary American workers to try to crush them into the ground by taking away their benefits, their unions, their pensions, their health protection, and letting their employers run roughshod over their lives and safety. The Republican party doesn't give a shit about ordinary workers. It's spent decades helping employers move jobs out of the country! The only people the Republicans care about are the wealthy. Who, of course, have no need of any sort of government healtcare plan.

But as I said, the Republicans don't care about this government. What does it do they think their people need? Their wealthy corporate donors are just as happy without regulators and inspectors around, and they certainly don't care about the services provided to ordinary people.

By the way, how is it that every time a new politician from Texas makes himself known on the national scene he's even dumber than the last one? Would the IQ of the United States rise significantly if Texas was booted out? Is there anything down there but inbred, bible thumping rednecks who think a high school degree makes someone " A INT-A-LECUAL"?

:D 100% correct...If the Republicans had their way,they would relegislate for their friends in the insurance industry and try to frame it as a "personal freedom" arguement...

:D 100% correct...If the Republicans had their way,they would relegislate for their friends in the insurance industry and try to frame it as a "personal freedom" arguement...

LOL, the insurance industry's best friend is Barack Obama. He's mandated that everyone buy their product.

By the way, how is it that every time a new politician from Texas makes himself known on the national scene he's even dumber than the last one? Would the IQ of the United States rise significantly if Texas was booted out? Is there anything down there but inbred, bible thumping rednecks who think a high school degree makes someone " A INT-A-LECUAL"?

Not sure what you're talking about. Cruz is an ivy-league graduate, that has much more than any highschool degree. It's always a laugh when anonymous people on the internet call out somebody with a much higher education than themselves as being some kind of idiot. Do they ever understand how foolish they look?

But you're complete and utter lack of understanding of American politics is once again greatly illustrated. Paul Ryan isn't any kind of extremist, and actually disagrees with Ted Cruz on his approach to the recent budget negotiations. Please stop posting in the American politics forum. You're ignorance is perpetuating falsehoods on a regular basis.

Hey, remember all those NSA hackers who were reading your email and tracking your Visa purchases last week? They're not reading your email or tracking your Visa purchases this week. They're on furlough. I guess even though they're saving America from terrorists 24/7/365, they're not an essential service.

Here's the letter.

-k

D'oh - you shouldn't have mentioned that. Now your VISA bill is going to be at the top of their list when they get back. Got any purchases you'd rather not own up to?

LOL, the insurance industry's best friend is Barack Obama. He's mandated that everyone buy their product.

Agreed...

Mr. Obama should rammed the public option through when the Democrats had full control of both houses and let the Tea Party buffoon's flip their lids from the sidelines...

As it is,The Affordable Care Act ends up being a sop to Big Insurance...Of course,it does force the cabal of money grubbing scum (aka: The Insurance Industry) to insure people they would otherwise have nothing to do with...

Agreed...

Mr. Obama should rammed the public option through when the Democrats had full control of both houses and let the Tea Party buffoon's flip their lids from the sidelines...

As it is,The Affordable Care Act ends up being a sop to Big Insurance...Of course,it does force the cabal of money grubbing scum (aka: The Insurance Industry) to insure people they would otherwise have nothing to do with...

Sorry I had to correct you before, but it sounds like you realize who's best friend the industry really has. But I need to correct you again. The profit margins of insurance companies are razor thin. And the peoe that work at insurance companies are most just regular middle class people. Also, anyone that waits to get sick and then looks to get insurance is a deadbeat. It's like getting in a car accident, and then looking for car insurance to pay for their accident. And if one can't afford health insurance, they can enrolled on Medicaid. If they're over 65, they enrolled in Medicare. If they're children, there's the children's Heath insurance program.

It's really sad that such ignorant people continue to post about topics they obviously have no real grasp of.

Sorry I had to correct you before, but it sounds like you realize who's best friend the industry really has. But I need to correct you again. The profit margins of insurance companies are razor thin.

But that's not the way to measure it. Walmart's admirers like to make the same point (and tend to underestimate profit margin, but that's another issue). The point isn't margins, it's overall profitability. Thin margins means large volume...and can translate into massive profits, relatively "thin" or otherwise.

Thin margins are not a problem foisted upon such businesses, who then have to deal with it. Rather, it is their actual Business MODEL, and in the right hands it can be stunningly lucrative.

And the peoe that work at insurance companies are most just regular middle class people.

????

Yes, the working drones do not see the fortunes of the companies that rent their labour. How is that different from (again) massive retail behemoths and the like?

Edited by bleeding heart

It's always a laugh when anonymous people on the internet call out somebody with a much higher education than themselves as being some kind of idiot. Do they ever understand how foolish they look?

I agree. I don't know how many times I've laughed at the guy who keeps talking about the "economic illterate" in the White House.

Not sure what you're talking about. Cruz is an ivy-league graduate, that has much more than any highschool degree. It's always a laugh when anonymous people on the internet call out somebody with a much higher education than themselves as being some kind of idiot. Do they ever understand how foolish they look?

Not as foolish as a grandstanding Texan reading Dr. Seuss on the floor of the House in order to make himself look good to his extremist base. George Bush was an Ivy leaguer too, so what? Neither of them is more than an intellectual flyweight, and their statements and positions are ludicrous and untenable.

But you're complete and utter lack of understanding of American politics is once again greatly illustrated.

Shady you've never been to the US and I doubt you could even find it on a map. You telling anyone else, and I mean _anyone_ that they don't know enough about the US to comment is hysterical. Like the ignorant rabble of the Tea Party, you're all about knowledge-free rah-rah.

Edited by Argus

You're right. Maybe Obama should have put through a universal, single-payer healthcare plan.

Oh, that's right. This lousy scheme that pads the pockets of insurance companies was the brainchild of the Republicans. So now you're criticizing the GOP plan, which you were all about before Obama signed his name to it.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how a government shutdown might affect people, even if they don't know it and it may not be a direct impact.

Flu shot program...

FAA inspectors that inspect airline maintenance...

Federal courts...

Pre-scool (Head start program) for poor kids will be shut down...

Some people can't see past their own nose to use a little foresight to see how this shut down affects Americans...

Sorry I had to correct you before,

And here is where you should have done your homework, but alas....typical shady.

By the way, your regular tag is apt ...Complete non-sense.

But I need to correct print non-sense again. The profit margins of insurance companies are razor thin.

Very profitable business , not that you would have a clue .

But what is really funny is this...

It's really sad that such ignorant people continue to post about topics they obviously have no real grasp of.

Yes it is shady, your ignorance about the insurance industry is most laughable. We have a sports section, go spend time there because here you are well out of your expertise bordering on ....nah...it is embarassing. :lol:

Edited by Guyser2

Far be it from me to defend Shady, but the profit margins of most insurance companies are less than 5%. Yeah, they're making millions, so imagine the disgusting amount of revenues they're making. Nevertheless, their expenses are nearly as high. Excellent businesses run anywhere between 15-30%.

Edited by cybercoma