Why are my threads on XYZ being deleted?

G Huxley

jbg of course it isn't civil to post about global warming. Civility means ignoring probably the most important ongoing event on the planet just like your hero.

I do post on the subject. I'm quite sure we disagree.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think the moderators hold posters such as myself, who are generally civil, to higher standards.

I think a lot it has to do with reporting. I won't report anybody, for anything. So something that might seem to me to be worthy of a reprimand might not come to the attention of the mods.

Others, I think, have reporting folk as a kind of hobby.

jbg, the link works on other computers, I have no idea why it isn't coming up on your browser.

It did come up later. Maybe it was just down around 7:00 a.m. EDT.

• 2 months later...

The answer to all of your questions is hidden somewhere in the Forum Rules and Guidelines. For those of you smart enough to find it, feel free to discuss. For those of you who are not smart enough to find it, here is a clue: You do not have to look very far.

I'm getting quite disturbed at the condescending, insulting, and frankly rule-breaking language that you and Greg use sometimes to speak to posters on here.

Greg, it seems that often when us posters criticize the moderation on the forums, even in a polite manner, you react by calling us "whiners".

You can climb down off the cross Smallc, no one is going to ban you for opening yet another thread whining about moderation.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/23082-sporadic-out-of-context-moderation/?p=925107

Ok, I've had enough of the bitching and complaining -- I've let it go on long enough.

I've close this thread, if you want to whine, do it over email, PM or in the chatroom.

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/22442-childlike-squabbling/?p=889101

We are criticizing and complaining, not "bitching" or "whining". To call it "whining" is to completely delegitimize our criticisms not to mention insult us, and is a rude and unprofessional way to respond to posters on MLW. Worse, when someone called Greg out on his rule-breaking language here his response was not to apologize or recognize his fault, but to lock the thread. I want these forums to function well as much as anyone. Greg and Charles, if you want people to speak civilly to each other on MLW, I think the moderators/admins should be setting a good example.

For what it is worth, I find this preface:

At the risk of getting suspended again,

to be insulting to the moderator. You probably do not see it that way because you probably refuse to accept your fault for your previous suspension. You preface your comment to denigrate the judgement of the moderator. You imply that your successive comment will provoke a suspension because..... the moderation is unfair?

You are coloring your language to create prejudice and bias against the moderator.

Then, you are the first person to question the intelligence of all of the forum members:

I have to say I fully agree. We're all smart enough to know what is meant by a post that contains a single link, (or even a single image) and can reply accordingly if we wish.

I never raised the issue of "smart" until you did.

So, you lead the reader to conclude that all "smart" members must conclude the same as you. Where does that leave all of the other people who do not conclude as you? Are they smart?

Well, the fact of the matter is that the very 1st rule of the forum is to be polite and treat eachother with respect. It does not take anybody very long to find that rule, now, does it?

Nobody has excuses. If you want to start a discussion, go ahead! Start any discussion you want on any topic you want that fits the category of the forum! However, there are condition and one of the is this: You have to make a serious honest effort to discuss the topic. As Shady said: Posting a link followed by name-calling is insufficient.

Every single time this happens, a message is sent to the member INVITING THE MEMBER TO TRY AGAIN WITH A BETTER EFFORT.

Greg is right. You are whiners.

For what it is worth, I find this preface:

to be insulting to the moderator. You probably do not see it that way because you probably refuse to accept your fault for your previous suspension. You preface your comment to denigrate the judgement of the moderator. You imply that your successive comment will provoke a suspension because..... the moderation is unfair?

You are coloring your language to create prejudice and bias against the moderator.

Then, you are the first person to question the intelligence of all of the forum members:

I never raised the issue of "smart" until you did.

So, you lead the reader to conclude that all "smart" members must conclude the same as you. Where does that leave all of the other people who do not conclude as you? Are they smart?

Well, the fact of the matter is that the very 1st rule of the forum is to be polite and treat eachother with respect. It does not take anybody very long to find that rule, now, does it?

Nobody has excuses. If you want to start a discussion, go ahead! Start any discussion you want on any topic you want that fits the category of the forum! However, there are condition and one of the is this: You have to make a serious honest effort to discuss the topic. As Shady said: Posting a link followed by name-calling is insufficient.

Every single time this happens, a message is sent to the member INVITING THE MEMBER TO TRY AGAIN WITH A BETTER EFFORT.

Greg is right. You are whiners.

I don't know, man, you sound like a whiner to me. Just because I assume that posters will see what is meant by a post doesn't mean I assume they agree with me.

You told me to grow up once. I called you arrogant for it. I still think I was the grown up.

At the risk of shocking everyone, I have to defend Charles' initial response. Posting a link and one line is not sufficient. If you want to start a discussion it is incumbent upon you to do more than post a news item or something. You need to express why you are posting the link, and what about it interests you that you want to discuss. Further, if you were sent warnings about it, with statements about the rules you broke then why are you asking about it here? You already know why they were removed. I assume you just wanted to complain, but felt posing your complaints in the form of a question would seem less like, well, whining.

And yes, jbg, sometimes people reply with one line, but a reply does not have the same requirement for begining a discussion, nor should it have.

As for the further responses from the moderators to further questions and statements, yes, they have been abrupt to the point of rudeness. Would that get them suspened if they were ordinary posters? Most unlikely. Treating people with respect is probably the rule most ignored here by many of the posters. I might even have been guilty of it a time or to myself.

I don't think either of them have much patience for complaints about moderating practices nor are they much interested in anyone's opinion on the subject. Greg made that point only a week or two back when he basically said follow their rules or leave.

This is exactly what Moonlight Graham was referring to. If anyone called you or Greg a whiner, we'd be off the forum instantly. Grow up.

Actually, calling anyone a whiner on the forum would result in a suspension. I believe the saying goes, "play the ball, not the person."

At the risk of shocking everyone, I have to defend Charles' initial response. Posting a link and one line is not sufficient. If you want to start a discussion it is incumbent upon you to do more than post a news item or something. You need to express why you are posting the link, and what about it interests you that you want to discuss.

I completely agree with Argus here. This forum has always expected posters to be more articulate and insightful than other sites. It's right in the forum rules that you're expected to back up your arguments with sources even. I like to think that's why people come here and stay. It's also what sets this place apart.

I completely agree with Argus here. This forum has always expected posters to be more articulate and insightful than other sites. It's right in the forum rules that you're expected to back up your arguments with sources even. I like to think that's why people come here and stay. It's also what sets this place apart.

I used to think that. I am trying to straighten out some recent difficulties privately and quietly. Unless my presence here is just not appreciated.

I don't tolerate it from other posters, I will tolerate it even less from moderation.

I said ooops because in the post above that one, I had called the Mod a whiner. My ooops wasn't a comment on your post. Sorry if it was misinterpreted.

At the risk of shocking everyone, I have to defend Charles' initial response. Posting a link and one line is not sufficient. If you want to start a discussion it is incumbent upon you to do more than post a news item or something. You need to express why you are posting the link, and what about it interests you that you want to discuss.

Yes, but if you say Black is Black, and I have a link that proves Black is White, I'll just post it with your quote. I don't need to say "here is a link that disproves what you say".

Also, if I find, elsewhere, a funny picture that has relevance to a thread discussion, I'll post it. I don't need to say: "Here's a funny picture that is relevant to this discussion".

That all seems reasonable to me.

I support the mods regarding post content.

But, it's a bit hard to take their enforcement of the rules about insults seriously when they're hurling insults and denigrating posters. It's uncalled for and seems overly defensive. It clearly doesn't help to clarify the rules when the mods are breaking the rules in their posts that are supposed to be clarifying the rules! Things just got silly....

Edited by The_Squid

I support the mods regarding post content.

So do I.

Argus:

I don't think either of them have much patience for complaints about moderating practices nor are they much interested in anyone's opinion on the subject. Greg made that point only a week or two back when he basically said follow their rules or leave.

No they clearly don't. I think it would be helpful to get opinions from people who use MLW on how to make the board better. In the last thread I posted the following: "Discussing it [problems with the forum] here is a good start. But I wouldn't be surprised to see this thread is locked not too long from now." A day & a half later the thread was locked. I'm fairly certain this thread will be closed soon also.

Edited by Moonlight Graham