Should Marijuana Be Legal?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exactly. And people are turning away from bikers and big corporations for the same reason. High cost and shitty quality.

I would like to see people be able to grow a few plants for their own use. A few plants done properly will give you enough weed.

I would like to see people be able to grow a few plants for their own use. A few plants done properly will give you enough weed.

This is the part I support, but will not be allowed if weed is legalized. Gov will want and have tighter control compared to what they have now. Controlled substance my ass.

I would love to be able to grow a few plants for my personal use.

You mean there's only one producer of booze and cigarettes?

You have competition for those that can produce, but not where people can buy it. Will we have legalized MJ in corner stores?

The other issue is growing your own. How will that be clamped down on? Why pay taxes on something you can grow in your home tax-free?

You can't produce good alcohol and tobacco in your living room.

Edited by Boges

No it's the control and distribution of said products. It's a controlled over priced market, not a free one.

Still a superior system than the current status quo.

You have competition for those that can produce, but not where people can buy it. Will we have legalized MJ in corner stores?

Maybe not. What would be wrong with having "weed stores"?

The other issue is growing your own. How will that be clamped down on? Why pay taxes on something you can grow in your home tax-free?

You'd pay taxes on seeds and equipment to grow it. Like alcohol and tobacco, personal use would be a non-issue.

You can't produce good alcohol and tobacco in your living room.

You can grow tobacco and make wine or beer at home now.

You'd pay taxes on seeds and equipment to grow it. Like alcohol and tobacco, personal use would be a non-issue.

You need equipment to grow plants now? My basil crop argues otherwise. How much are they going to charge for seeds? I'd imagine that's a one-time charge.

You can grow tobacco and make wine or beer at home now.

Yeah because home-brew is soooooo good. :rolleyes: You can't make good liqour without aging it in a barrel (actually multiple barrels) Not something any old person cand do.

You need equipment to grow plants now? My basil crop argues otherwise. How much are they going to charge for seeds? I'd imagine that's a one-time charge.

To grow good weed? Yes. Yes you would.

Yeah because home-brew is soooooo good. :rolleyes: You can't make good liqour without aging it in a barrel (actually multiple barrels) Not something any old person cand do.

Average Joe Six Plant isn't going to be growing great weed either, so I don't see your point.

To grow good weed? Yes. Yes you would.

What equipment that isn't completely legal to own now? An incubator?

Average Joe Six Plant isn't going to be growing great weed either, so I don't see your point.

People do it now, why would they suddenly volunteer to pay taxes on something that ceases to become a crime. I can see a HUGE! black market. And if you can get your hands on "good" seeds then your set. Sup Marc Emery!

I guess it depends on the level of taxation, but it would be incredibly hypocritical if they don't have an excise tax that is equal to or more than the one currently levied on alcohol and tobacco.

Edited by Boges

What equipment that isn't completely legal to own now? An incubator?

I never said any of it was illegal. Just that you have to buy it and pay taxes on it.

People do it now, why would they suddenly volunteer to pay taxes on something that ceases to become a crime.

For the same reason people buy expensive Scotch instead of just making bathtub gin. Quality, convenience etc.

I can see a HUGE! black market depending on the level of taxation.

Just like the HUGE black market for alcohol?

I don't see why legal pot distribution could not model itself on the same system that alcohol distribution has evolved to. I can go to the government run liquor store, or I can go to the private run one and pay a bit more but the beer is already cold. I have also gone numerous times to my local U Brew joint and had them put together a batch of wine and I simply have to go bottle it when it's done and while it's not Chateau Neuf de Pape, it's still quite pallatable. In all cases the government gets it share of my purchase and lot's of people are kept employed. I could also go buy a sac of grapes and stomp on 'em to make my own at home, not that I likely ever will. Point being why couldn't exactly parallel type operations occur only woth pot as the product.

I don't see why legal pot distribution could not model itself on the same system that alcohol distribution has evolved to. I can go to the government run liquor store, or I can go to the private run one and pay a bit more but the beer is already cold. I have also gone numerous times to my local U Brew joint and had them put together a batch of wine and I simply have to go bottle it when it's done and while it's not Chateau Neuf de Pape, it's still quite pallatable. In all cases the government gets it share of my purchase and lot's of people are kept employed. I could also go buy a sac of grapes and stomp on 'em to make my own at home, not that I likely ever will. Point being why couldn't exactly parallel type operations occur only woth pot as the product.

Because that system, for most people, sucks!

There are people who make their own wine or beer, but it's a niche hobby. It's impossible to make your own spirits of any decent quality, unless Moonshine is your cup of tea. Also with those "Make-your-own-Brew" companies you have to keep going back to them every time, not with growing your own plants.

I've never heard of anyone cultivating their own tobacco. Most people who don't like the taxes levied on tobacco make a regular trip to their nearest Indian Reserve. And even with that the quality is lacking.

I can think of multiple ways to side step paying taxes for pot. Would having a Grow Op still be a criminal offence under a legal system?

Edited by Boges

How so?

There are people who make their own wine or beer, but it's a niche hobby. It's impossible to make your own spirits of any decent quality, unless Moonshine is your cup of tea.

And this is a problem because.....?

I've never heard of anyone cultivating their own tobacco. Must people who don't like the taxes levied on tobacco make a regular trip to their nearest Indian Reserve.

Again: so what?

People have the right to make their own booze or grow their own tobacco. That it is expensive and complex do do so isn't the government's problem, but the nature of the process.

I can think of multiple ways to side step paying taxes for pot. Would having a Grow Op still be a criminal offence under a legal system?

Depends what you mean by grow-op. A few plants in the closet? Sure, no problem. An unlicensed, industrial production facility would be a bit different. As it should be.

Edited by Black Dog

There are people who make their own wine or beer, but it's a niche hobby. It's impossible to make your own spirits of any decent quality, unless Moonshine is your cup of tea. Also with those "Make-your-own-Brew" companies you have to keep going back to them every time, not with growing your own plants.

I've never heard of anyone cultivating their own tobacco. Most people who don't like the taxes levied on tobacco make a regular trip to their nearest Indian Reserve. And even with that the quality is lacking.

You can sidestep paying taxes on booze quite legally if you want to go to the trouble. Except of course for the basic ingredients which you would likely purchase unless you happen to have a vinyard behind your house.I don't know anybody who grows their own tobacco. So what? I know lot's who grow their own pot. I don't use it very often so again I wouldn't bother. Just like if I decide right now I want a bottle of wine with dinner I just walk down the street and buy one. Seems simple enough to me.

How so?

And this is a problem because.....?

Again: so what?

People have the right top make their own booze or grow their own tobacco. That it is expensive and complex do do so isn't the government's problem, but the nature of the process.

Depends what you mean by grow-op. A few plants in the closet? Sure, no problem. An unlicensed, industrial production facility would be a bit different. As it should be.

I'm just pointing out the difference between the drugs. You really have to work hard to side-step taxation of Alcohol and Tobacco. It's like these people that Cord Cut, they work so hard not to pay for a good, yet expensive, product/service, but is the product/service they end up getting even worth the effort?

Where as growing your own pot sounds so easy that unless you were really lazy (we are talking pot heads here) you could find so many ways to sidestep paying taxes once it either ceases to be a crime or becomes legal.

Edited by Boges

Having a Grow-op would be a criminal offence if you didn't get the proper insurance/fire inspection permits, which would include any necessary fees to solve your taxation concerns. Any other issues?

You can sidestep paying taxes on booze quite legally if you want to go to the trouble. Except of course for the basic ingredients which you would likely purchase unless you happen to have a vinyard behind your house.I don't know anybody who grows their own tobacco. So what? I know lot's who grow their own pot. I don't use it very often so again I wouldn't bother. Just like if I decide right now I want a bottle of wine with dinner I just walk down the street and buy one. Seems simple enough to me.

Trust me, if I could make my own Single-malt scotch, I'd be over that in a milisecond. Wine isn't terribly expensive relatively. The Ontario beer market is a joke on the otherhand. Those are debates we have in other threads.

The point is, growing a plant isn't all that hard. A government making pot a regulated substance would have to price the product comparable to what people are accustomed to paying for it now or they'll be legalizing a product there's no demand for because there's already an avenue for anyone to get the pot they want.

Having a Grow-op would be a criminal offence if you didn't get the proper insurance/fire inspection permits, which would include any necessary fees to solve your taxation concerns. Any other issues?

I have no issue. Are police going to enforce that? Are people going to be going to people's house looking to write tickets for people that have more than the X-number of plants allowed? Are completely new government stores going to open?

I know, I've seen that the pot distribution in the US seems to be handled by the private sector in Colorado. Canada doesn't do that whole think very well, the governments want to sell the product.

Just like any other business. And as easy as it may seem to grow my own plants, there is of course a bit more to it than just sticking a seed in a pot. Has to be dried etc., etc. And I just don't want to be bothered so I would just go to the local pot store, get a few joints, then to the liquor store for a bottle of wine and done. Every dollar I spend in that pot store is tax revenue the government is missing out on now. And in BC that business grosses around 6 billion (yep with a B)