How does Intelligent Design work?

Obviously this is aimed at Betsy. But for anybody, how does it work? Please no links, no freaking videos. Just explain how it works in your own words. When were humans designed and placed on earth in relation to the age of the earth and how was it done? Why do we have archaic structures like the appendix? It seems our eyes are not an optimal design, why not?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to single out specific members or belief systems, as "intelligent design" takes on many forms in ancient and contemporary settings / cultures. It "works" in several ways, from environment manipulation, biological interaction(s), or outright genetic manipulation as is commonly practiced today on plants, animals, and humans.

Since you specifically requested no links or freaking videos...I offer none.

Care to be more specific? Who and how is the environment manipulated? What is the mechanism that changes a species in response to evironmental change - I know that as evolution. Biological interactions? What are those and how do they work? Genetic manipulation - like mutation? How does this manipulation come about?

Care to be more specific? Who and how is the environment manipulated? What is the mechanism that changes a species in response to evironmental change - I know that as evolution. Biological interactions? What are those and how do they work? Genetic manipulation - like mutation? How does this manipulation come about?

The mechanisms are too numerous to list here, and you specifically banned any external references (somewhat ironic). The earth provides many examples of such interactions as does modern human research and manipulation of gene sequences, domesticated animals, etc.

As a real world example I would post an image of a mule (cross between a horse and donkey/ass), but you forbade such descriptive augmentation.

The mechanisms are too numerous to list here, and you specifically banned any external references (somewhat ironic). The earth provides many examples of such interactions as does modern human research and manipulation of gene sequences, domesticated animals, etc.

As a real world example I would post an image of a mule (cross between a horse and donkey/ass), but you forbade such descriptive augmentation.

Not at all. What I forbade is just linking to somebody else's explanation. I want people to put it in their own words. Just the broad idea of how it actually works. You know, like evolution is the change in the genome caused by environmental factors. If you feel the mechanisms are too numerous to list, give a few examples, if that works better for you. But surely there is some underlying mechanism beneath it all - ie a causitive agent that brings forth new species. What the basic process of that?

How does research on gene sequences show the action of intelligent design? Domesticated animals change by human intervention in their breeding. How does intelligent design accomplish the same thing? If there is no evolution, how does intelligent design bring forth new species holus bolus?

Again, the basic idea of evolution is pretty simple. The environment and/or sexual reproduction brings forth changes in the genotype that are better adapted to that environment and thus have higher reproductive success. How is this different than ID?

Not at all. What I forbade is just linking to somebody else's explanation. I want people to put it in their own words. Just the broad idea of how it actually works. You know, like evolution is the change in the genome caused by environmental factors. If you feel the mechanisms are too numerous to list, give a few examples, if that works better for you. But surely there is some underlying mechanism beneath it all - ie a causitive agent that brings forth new species. What the basic process of that?

But the very point is that there are many such causes or factors that cannot be distilled down one genome change, even if that be the actual mechanics of biological change.

How does research on gene sequences show the action of intelligent design? Domesticated animals change by human intervention in their breeding. How does intelligent design accomplish the same thing? If there is no evolution, how does intelligent design bring forth new species holus bolus?

Human beings are practicing "intelligent design" today, so certainly it is possible without "evolution". Others feel that humans are in turn the product of intelligent design and/or biological intervention. Human beings have proven that intelligent design is possible.

Again, the basic idea of evolution is pretty simple. The environment and/or sexual reproduction brings forth changes in the genotype that are better adapted to that environment and thus have higher reproductive success. How is this different than ID?

See above.....I won't be trapped into an argument about evolution vs. intelligent design, which is perhaps what your original intention was. Evolution is not the only way to achieve biological outcomes.

Nice dodge. Surely we're not talking about human intelligent design here. How does what is normally understood as intelligent design work? How does this design get put into the world. You won't get trapped into saying how that happens because you know your answer can easily be shot down. All we've seen on this forum are attacks on evolution with no stand taken on how the alternative is supposed to work. The theory of evoltution at least has plausible explanations behind it.

Nice dodge. Surely we're not talking about human intelligent design here. How does what is normally understood as intelligent design work? How does this design get put into the world. You won't get trapped into saying how that happens because you know your answer can easily be shot down. All we've seen on this forum are attacks on evolution with no stand taken on how the alternative is supposed to work. The theory of evoltution at least has plausible explanations behind it.

Whoa....I have no dog in this fight, taking no sides either way. I simply wanted to point out that the very idea of intelligent design by an entity or process other than 'evolution' is not only possible, but amply proven with existing human technology, which is just in its infancy. The rest is left to the imagination of authors like Erich von Däniken.

Obviously this is aimed at Betsy. But for anybody, how does it work? Please no links, no freaking videos. Just explain how it works in your own words. When were humans designed and placed on earth in relation to the age of the earth and how was it done? Why do we have archaic structures like the appendix? It seems our eyes are not an optimal design, why not?

Intelligent design? Leftists believe that an all-knowing, all-wise, all-powerful State bureaucrat in Washington DC can design and operate a health care system for several hundred million Americans.

The answer to the question is far more simple than you're trying to make it, Canuckistani.

Rather than snapping fingers, or saying a magic word to make everything appear at once, the supreme entity created it in a layered fashion, like painting a picture -- a picture that probably also had several preliminary sketches.

The answer to the question is far more simple than you're trying to make it, Canuckistani.

Rather than snapping fingers, or saying a magic word to make everything appear at once, the supreme entity created it in a layered fashion, like painting a picture -- a picture that probably also had several preliminary sketches.

Why should I believe that? Are you just making it up?

The intelligent designer sits down at his CAD design station at the start of his work shift, pulls up whatever organism is on the agenda for the day, analyzes how it's doing and, referring to the latest design procedures of the day, makes some changes. Then he saves his work, and poof, that's the organism we have on Earth and any changes that are made to it. Then he goes for lunch, and comes back and works on some other project in the afternoon. In this way, species are seen to "evolve" over time.

Kind of like how engineers design artificial intelligences and modified lifeforms. Almost all the powers attributed to a god or deity in human mythologies and religions can now be replicated through technology, and the intelligent design of living organisms is no exception.

If you really want to know for your own sake what intelligent design is all about, go to the intelligent design site. Since I respect your request not to post any links, then find it yourself. I'm not a walking encyclopeadia.

And by your previous posts in various topic..... I could just imagine the kind of so-called "discussion" this will generate - with no outside links and videos - talking heavily about science? Oh boy.... :lol:

I'm in no mood to play dress-up and no intention of humoring you pretending we're all scientists! Sorry.

I don't mind the amusement factor - dropping from time-to-time though, to check out how things are going. :D

Edited by betsy

Furthermore, you've clearly demonstrated you have difficulty in understanding simple explanations by the way you took my reply to your post, "A Question to Betsy"

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/22479-1-question-for-betsy/

I feel flattered that you'd devote topics for me, but I do hope you'll understand if I refuse to play ball.

Anyway you request.....no links? no videos? Really? :lol:

That tells me then, you can't find anything to rebutt by sources. :P

Btw, Bush Cheney, Bryan and August all have given excellent replies....with no links and videos!

The Intelligent Designer could be what others think it shoud be. Anthony Flew did not convert to Christianity - but he did get convinced and believed though of an intelligent being or god thus he became a Deist.

A lot of scientist who support intelligent design are not necessarily Christians. However, of course us Christians believe that the Intelligent Designer is our God....and I'm sure Muslims believe it's Allah, other people with various faith believe it's theirs....,

Edited by betsy

However, of course us Christians believe that the Intelligent Designer is our God....and I'm sure Muslims believe it's Allah, other people with various faith believe it's theirs....,

There is only one God. There's actually a commandment against saying there is more than one. It's a good idea to post here without breaking the commandments, for He is a jealous and vengeful God.

If you really want to know for your own sake what intelligent design is all about, go to the intelligent design site. Since I respect your request not to post any links, then find it yourself. I'm not a walking encyclopeadia.

And by your previous posts in various topic..... I could just imagine the kind of so-called "discussion" this will generate - with no outside links and videos - talking heavily about science? Oh boy.... :lol:

I'm in no mood to play dress-up and no intention of humoring you pretending we're all scientists! Sorry.

I don't mind the amusement factor - dropping from time-to-time though, to check out how things are going. :D

Nice copout. I want to know how you believe it works. How do new species appear on the earth? You must have a belief about it, since you promote it so vigorously. So what is it?

Nice copout. I want to know how you believe it works. How do new species appear on the earth? You must have a belief about it, since you promote it so vigorously. So what is it?

What you just said shows I'm right about you. Just go to Intelligent Design website, Canuckstani. You shouldn't be swayed by what I or anybody believe about it - read the whole thing for yourself - and make your own decision by being well-informed. Never base your decisions on second-hand information, that's my advice to you.

See you around.

1) and make your own decision by being well-informed.

2) Never base your decisions on second-hand information, that's my advice to you.

1) In other words - open a biology textbook not a book written by obscured authors.

2) You're probably thinking of third-hand information.

Edited by Sleipnir