The US, gun violence, and gun control

Actually there are more gun deaths in 10 states. than motor vehicle deaths in total, not just alcohol-related motor vehicle deaths.

http://www.vpc.org/s.../gunsvscars.pdf

And there were more than 30,000 gun deaths in 2009 in the whole country.

But I have no idea how many of the motor vehicle deaths were suicides.

32,000 mv deaths in 2011.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true that if you want to defend guns in the wake of children getting murdered by them, you can make up all kinds of weird arguments in favour of them. A suicide could be completed by hanging just as easily. A mass murder could be committed with a bomb. It just shows how desperate and deranged even so called "regular" gun owners are when defending their right to have instruments of mass murder under their bed.

Im hoping that no one else bothered to respond to this because of how insanely stupid it is.

300 million guns in the US weren't used to kill people in Newtown so lets punish those people. Great idea.

There is a mass killing once every two weeks in the US so yes some of those guns are being used. No one is looking to punish those people but sometimes for the greater good we regulate things. Before there was a speed limit there were lots of people driving fast hurting no one doesn't mean we didn't need some regulation for the greater good. Your argument is already done for in the US they already regulate guns and cars and so on.

Guns are already regulated in the U.S. In Mexico too...even Canada. All have "mass shootings".

Yet there are less "mass shootings" in countries with stricter regulations. 1 mass murder by guns every two weeks should be unacceptable in America. There has to be a better way and I am willing to try something.

This is false. There isn't one mass murder by guns every two weeks in America.

You are correct.... although I am sure it depends how you would measure it. Bit it is a mass shooting every 5.4 weeks.

Here is the list: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2012/07/appalling-frequency-of-the-shooting-spree.html

125 in the last 13 years = 1 every 5 weeks or so....

Still appalling numbers!

Yet there are less "mass shootings" in countries with stricter regulations. 1 mass murder by guns every two weeks should be unacceptable in America. There has to be a better way and I am willing to try something.

You only get one vote. Nobody is forcing you to buy a gun.

There is a fatal stabbing or beating in Canada at least every week. Better ban those knives and fists.

No, that's just your emotional kneejerk reaction that is typical of such events. In Chicago, hundreds of children have been shot to death each year but not a peep out of you. Thousands of Mexicans have been killed in "mass shootings" but they don't count either.

The US Constitution did not kill those victims. A mentally ill person did, but not a word out of you for improved mental health care or institutionalization.

Typical.

Considering that I have never been involved in a discussion with you on killings in Chicago, or any other locale, you have no idea what I have or haven’t said. Nor have we ever discussed mental health care, there is no basis for your comments. I call this straw grasping on your part and it usually occurs with one’s opinion does not hold water.

Considering that I have never been involved in a discussion with you on killings in Chicago, or any other locale, you have no idea what I have or haven’t said. Nor have we ever discussed mental health care, there is no basis for your comments. I call this straw grasping on your part and it usually occurs with one’s opinion does not hold water.

Thank you for admitting that you have never been involved in such discussions. Clearly they are a lower priority for you. And that's OK.

This is false. There isn't one mass murder by guns every two weeks in America.

And yet.....

Mass killers target Americans once every two weeks on average, in attacks that range from robberies to horrific public shooting sprees like the massacre Friday of 27 people in Newtown, Conn., a USA TODAY examination found.

Using news accounts and FBI records from 2006 through 2010, the most recent years for which complete records were available, USA TODAY identified 156 murders that met the FBI definitions of mass killings, where four or more people were killed.

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20121219/NEWS01/121219003/NATION-Mass-killings-occur-USA-once-every-two-weeks

Edited by punked

Calling for a complete ban on guns won't solve the problem. If someone is determined to kill, they will.

Sure but thats only a small percentage of people that kill.... First degree murderers. These people are planning to kill and theres a lot of other ways to kill besides using a gun. They will find a way to get the job done.

But a large percentage of murders are more spontaneous. The degree of harm that occurs in these situations will correlate to the ability to do harm, and the tools that are readily available will be a factor in that.

Sure but thats only a small percentage of people that kill.... First degree murderers. These people are planning to kill and theres a lot of other ways to kill besides using a gun. They will find a way to get the job done.

But a large percentage of murders are more spontaneous. The degree of harm that occurs in these situations will correlate to the ability to do harm, and the tools that are readily available will be a factor in that.

In the heat of the moment any weapon will do.