Introducing... the Fetus Tax Credit!

Cynics have accused Republicans of only caring about children until they're born. Well, in Michigan, that claim has teeth.

After eliminating tax credits for outside-the-womb children in 2011, Michigan Republicans are now working to introduce... the Fetus Tax Credit!

Folks, we couldn't make this stuff up.

-k

Guest American Woman

Cynics have accused Republicans of only caring about children until they're born. Well, in Michigan, that claim has teeth.

After eliminating tax credits for outside-the-womb children in 2011, Michigan Republicans are now working to introduce... the Fetus Tax Credit!

Folks, we couldn't make this stuff up.

Actually, that doesn't present it quite the way it is. Yes, the $600 tax credit for dependent children was eliminated for 2013, but children are still considered dependents, thus qualify for a "dependent exemption," and the proposed legislation would include fetuses of at least 12 weeks at the end of the tax year, under the care of a doctor for that period of time, as a "dependent exemption," also. Fetuses wouldn't be getting any "tax credits" that "outside-the-womb children" don't get.

The idea is to recognize that even before the child is born, parents face increased expenses, but I doubt if this bill will ever see the light of day.

Edited by American Woman

Actually, that doesn't present it quite the way it is. Yes, the $600 tax credit for dependent children was eliminated for 2013, but children are still considered dependents, thus qualify for a "dependent exemption," and the proposed legislation would include fetuses of at least 12 weeks at the end of the tax year, under the care of a doctor for that period of time, as a "dependent exemption," also. Fetuses wouldn't be getting any "tax credits" that "outside-the-womb children" don't get.

The idea is to recognize that even before the child is born, parents face increased expenses, but I doubt if this bill will ever see the light of day.

I concur, thanks for the actual explanation AW. It's too bad the originator of the thread didn't take the time to learn more about the issue before posting that caricature.

To be fair, the article linked in the OP is misleading.

True. That's part of the problem relying on very partisan media for information. My favourite part of the OP was the "folks, we couldn't make this stuff up." Actually, you did! laugh.png

But if this was really a life-begins-at-conception deal then the bill wouldn't specify 12 weeks, would it?

Also true.

Edited by Shady

I still do not see how kimmy's post or even the article in the OP as misleading as some would like us to think.

Taking another look it is clear that what they are saying is that the Republicans want to extend a tax credit to start at 12 weeks of pregnancy. So lets call that an increase in a tax credit which is "good."

Perhaps the article should be clearer as to stating what AW has mentioned above.

On the other hand, the Republicans want to slash other tax credits/benefits which have to do with real live children (such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the child care subsidy) which is "bad" and for which AW's post is silent.

Edited by msj

Guest American Woman

The bill refers to "the fetus," not "the baby," and there are already laws in Michigan against harming a fetus, so really, I don't see how this would alter abortion laws. At any rate, it's already been pulled from Monday's legislative agenda, indicating that the legislature is not ready to vote on it, and any proposed bills that are not passed by December 31 are forfeited and must be rewritten and reintroduced the following year, and there's no guarantee of what will happen during that year.

While there are some states that have a "stillborn" deduction, recognizing that the parents of a stillborn baby have added expenses, Michigan's stillbirth tax credit has been repealed. Again, I don't see this bill as seeing the light of day.

I do think there's some merit to it, as pregnancy does result in extra expenses, but most likely the "dependency exemption" isn't the way to go.