What Are You Listening To?

Mighty AC

I happened onto a band a couple of months ago when I was looking around for some new up and comers called St. Lucia. It's basically a one man band, the guys name is Jean-Philip Grobler. Most of his tunes have an eighty's pop sound, but modernized. Kind of a cross between Depeche mode, Inxs, with a bit of U2 and maybe even some newer Bee Gees thrown in for good measure. Good stuff.

There are several good live performances of this song, but I really like the words and this version displays the lyrics. I once sang a stirring rendition1 of this song in a Rochester pub, in front of clients, after a few too many pints.

1 The opinions expressed by the author of this post almost certainly do not reflect those who witnessed the performance.

I'm not a huge fan of Thom and the boys but that is a great album indeed. There are so many good songs on that disc (Just, High and Dry, The Bends, etc) but I think Fake Plastic Trees is my fav. I've had that song running through my head since this weekend when my wife brought home a pre-lit, fake plastic, Christmas tree. IMO, a very succinct symbol for much of what's wrong with this world.

I like this cover:

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if any of you here have listened to Mac Demarco's album 2. Canadian musician, who grew up in Edmonton before moving to Vancouver then Montreal. He has such excellent sounding guitar that I can't get enough of this album. Below is the video for the song "Ode to Viceroy", which is indeed about the cigarettes. He's a bit of a nut, but the music has a great vibe to it.

Edited by cybercoma

• 3 weeks later...

Haha that's great thanks for the link. That's a better "Canadian" impersonation than most of other ones that are based on the same inaccurate stereotype accent

Yeah I thought it was pretty funny. Catchy too...Watched it a couple of times, and it got in my head. Had to go out for a rip :P