You may hate Rob Ford . . .

Boges

A Conflict of interest case where he used his clout to raise money for at-risk football players? Is that how you want him to be defeated?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/documents-hint-at-mayor-rob-fords-defence-in-conflict-of-interest-case/article4500451/

When Rob Ford testifies next week in a legal hearing that could see him kicked out of office, Toronto’s mayor is expected to argue that he made an honest mistake over a trifling amount of money.

Hints of Mr. Ford’s strategy can be gleaned from a 148-page transcript of a cross-examination that Mr. Ford underwent behind closed doors, and which is now part of the court record.

A judge decided Friday that Mr. Ford will have to appear in person to answer allegations he broke the Municipal Conflict-of-Interest Act when he voted to let himself off the hook for failing to repay $3,150 that lobbyists and their clients had donated to his personal football foundation.

The looming court case is the latest in a string of incidents that raise questions about Mr. Ford’s judgment and distract from his day-to-day work as mayor, such as the recent furor over his reading while driving on the Gardiner Expressway.

But this time, there is more at stake than unflattering headlines: If Mr. Ford is found to have broken the Act, he would automatically lose his job.

The judge could then decide to ban him from running again for up to seven years.

If you think Ford should be fired over this then I assume you'd have had no problem seeing former US President Bill Clinton lose his job over getting his knob polished by an intern and lying about it.

Both were loopholes that really have no bearing on how said politician does his job.

Edited by Boges

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Conflict of interest case where he used his clout to raise money for at-risk football players? Is that how you want him to be defeated?

If you think Ford should be fired over this then I assume you'd have had no problem seeing former US President Bill Clinton lose his job over getting his knob polished by an intern and lying about it.

Both were loopholes that really have no bearing on how said politician does his job.

Boges, if the case comes down against Ford the left in Toronto will do everything in their power to turf him as far out of town as possible!

3 thousand dollars? They would do it for $3!

As for Bill Clinton, the double standard would never occur to them. If you pointed it out, they would simply reply that Ford is evil so it's ok!

These people have no fixed standards, only likes and dislikes and a sense of entitlement towards getting their own way.

Ford will never get the benefit of perspective or proportion at their hands. Their brains just don't work that way. Justice and fairness is only for who they like and anyone they don't like they would cheerfully crucify.

They got Capone for tax evasion.

I don't care about the knob polishing, but the lying about it was kind of a big deal. In this case, all Ford had to do was pay back the money.

Edited by Black Dog

I don't care about the knob polishing, but the lying about it was kind of a big deal. In this case, all Ford had to do was pay back the money.

Exactly. The cover-up is always worse than the crime. I think what Ford did here was wrong and he should have to pay back the money. But is this crime worth essentially voiding the democratic process and the will of the people of Toronto that voted for him?

Edited by Boges

Exactly. The cover-up is always worse than the crime. I think what Ford did here was wrong and he should have to pay back the money. But is this crime worth essentially voiding the democratic process and the will of the people of Toronto that voted for him?

Are you suggesting certain rules should be broken or at least stretched out of political expediency?

Anyway, it's up to the judge to decide: I think we all know Ford's job is, unfortunately, safe.

I didn't vote for Ford, but I almost did. I voted for Smitherman after some thought.

I also don't hate Ford, I think he's a fool, but I think his heart is in the right place (unlike Harper) and that he does not want to, nor is able to actually do damage (unlike Hudak)

But, I am a "Leftist" according to many.

Not everyone who did not vote for Ford is insane.

I didn't vote for Ford, but I almost did. I voted for Smitherman after some thought.

I also don't hate Ford, I think he's a fool, but I think his heart is in the right place (unlike Harper) and that he does not want to, nor is able to actually do damage (unlike Hudak)

But, I am a "Leftist" according to many.

Not everyone who did not vote for Ford is insane.

The people who did on the other hand...

Well just like Clinton, Ford is going to end up with a heart attack with all the weight he is carrying around plus the stress of the job. He could save his life by leaving politics.

He must have some stress on the job.

From what I've read, the stress he's exposed to may be more attributable to family issues than the job.

I'm sure he works long hours

Maybe so, but working long hours is not a precursor to stress.

and being hounded by the press obviously gets him worked up.

Getting worked up about the media's presence and being stressed out are not necessarily the same thing.

From what I've read, the stress he's exposed to may be more attributable to family issues than the job.

Maybe so, but working long hours is not a precursor to stress.

Getting worked up about the media's presence and being stressed out are not necessarily the same thing.

Good points. I'm sure the family issues are made worse by the job. Hours, spotlight etc

For a 300lb guy long hours can't be good on the heart.

Although not much isn't bad for 300 lb guys.

It doesn't void the democratic process. Those we elect are still accountable to the law.

The sad thing here is that I think Ford was just too dense to comprehend that he jeopardized his job by putting himself in a conflict of interest position.

How dense can you be and still be mayor?

I wonder if he's willing to pay the money back now? :lol:

While I agree that suggesting dressing like a "lady of the night" causes rape, is just stupid; I do think that suggesting that one does not dress that way, just as a standard course of normalcy, is a good policy to live by.

Why? What business is it of yours?

Edited by Black Dog