Romney Derangement Syndrome

Obama also cuts $700 billion from Medicare by cutting payments to hospitals and insurance.

http://m.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/08/what-everybody-gets-wrong-about-the-romney-and-obama-medicare-cuts/261220/

For those interested in our healthcare system and the truth of the cuts proposed by Obama, I suggested you read this. Most of the cuts from Obama's plan are to the private Medicare insurance plan put in efect by Bush in his effort to privatize Medicare. These Medicare advantage plans cost the government 12% more than regular Medicare; they are part of the costs that Obama is trimming. Private insurance companies should not be subsidized by taxpayers to cover seniors when the government plan can do it cheaper.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/us/politics/costs-seen-in-romneys-medicare-savings-plan.html

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice option piece. Now can you link to something that doesn't say over and over against that while the CBO says that the 700 billion isn't a cut the author would say it is?

Nope, you just can't handle the truth. It's been posted, you just can't accept that your hero is deeply flawed.

Wrong about what? The cost? I linked to it.

I'm not digging through a blog, hunting down the original AP article, then tracking down the report you're citing. You're not even citing a secondary source with your links. You've cited a tertiary commentary. Show me the exact quote from the CBO that backs up your claims or admit that you're full of crap.

From the CBO:

Estimates Through Fiscal Year 2022

This report also presents estimates through fiscal year 2022, because the baseline projection period now extends through that additional year. The ACA’s provisions related to insurance coverage are now projected to have a net cost of $1,252 billion over the 2012-2022 period; that amount represents a gross cost to the federal government of $1,762 billion

CB effing O

Obamacare now projected to cost $1.7 trillion. Suck on it.

Anyways, back to some Romney Derangement Syndrome, which seems to be running rampant these days...

‘Kill Mitt Romney’ Facebook Page Was Online for 17 Days

A Facebook page entitled “Kill Mitt Romney” garnered close to 30 likes and remained online for 17 days before Facebook removed the page Monday.

The Secret Service was aware of the the page and is taking “appropriate investigative steps,” according to FoxNews.com.

Link

From the CBO:

Obamacare now projected to cost $1.7 trillion. Suck on it.

It is like you pretend to be dumb for fun. That is not what that reports says.

You’ll notice something about the above list: It appears to add up to a net reduction in the cost of the health-care law. And, sure enough, here’s CBO: “the insurance coverage provisions of the ACA will have a net cost of just under $1.1 trillion over the 2012–2021 period—about $50 billion less than the agencies’ March 2011 estimate.” You would get the opposite impression reading Ransom.

The problem for Ransom and others is that they didn’t read this analysis closely, or, if they did, they didn’t understand it.

Ransom quotes CBO saying “those provisions will increase deficits by $1,083 billion,” but he either didn’t notice or didn’t choose to include the CBO’s warning that this analysis does “not encompass all of the budgetary impacts of the ACA because that legislation has many other provisions, including some that will cause significant reductions in Medicare spending and others that will generate added tax revenues.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/cbo-health-reform-to-cut-deficit-by-50-billion-more-than-we-thought/2011/08/25/gIQAXgPSES_blog.html

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/03/19/447098/gops-distortion-of-affordable-care-acts-new-cbo-estimate-exposes-the-weakness-of-their-arguments-against-reform/

There are multiple errors and misrepresentations in Niall Ferguson’s cover story in Newsweek — I guess they don’t do fact-checking — but this is the one that jumped out at me. Ferguson says:

The president pledged that health-care reform would not add a cent to the deficit. But the CBO and the Joint Committee on Taxation now estimate that the insurance-coverage provisions of the ACA will have a net cost of close to $1.2 trillion over the 2012–22 period.

Readers are no doubt meant to interpret this as saying that CBO found that the Act will increase the deficit. But anyone who actually read, or even skimmed, the CBO report (pdf) knows that it found that the ACA would reduce, not increase, the deficit — because the insurance subsidies were fully paid for.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/unethical-commentary-newsweek-edition/

See that Shady citations. Not lies. Citations.

Not that this will slow down this foolish back and forth but tonight I watched about an hour of that Romney doc. on CNN. I'm not surprised that Romney came off just as robotic and insincere as he always has to me.

Even as an Obama supporter I don't dislike Romney. I am not a huge fan but he gets it from both sides pretty hard. Sometimes, this is a sign to me that he is a pretty reasonable person. Anyway, I don't believe all the spin coming from the Obama camp about him but he does come off as almost having zero personality.

Despite what Shady would call the liberal press attacking him at times I don't see them doing much that is unfair. although it should be noted that I don't watch the more partisan shows. I do have a small point so stay with me....

Shady can point to all the extremes of the left and their hate for him but I don't see it in the mainstream press. There are unfair attacks but I don't see anyone really calling him a terrible person. They question his views and continue on the tax issue but I see those as fair criticisms. Maybe it is just me but I don't see this derangement syndrome in the mainstream media.

That being said I usually watch PBS. Although I do watch Meet the Press, CNN sometimes....

Anyway, my original point was going to be this.

Tonight I caught Romney's 5 (?) sons on CNN for about 5-10 minutes and they ALL come across as better politicians than their dad. All of them. Even the one that is kinda creepy looking.

If Romney loses it will mostly have to do with his personality, in my opinion.

It isn't that he is just out of touch; it is that his personality reinforces it.

Maybe if the big speakers at the convention can make him seem more like an actual person (Ann Romney I'm looking at you) that will help but he can't do it himself. Unless he pulls off some amazing speech. That seems unlikely to me.

They question his views and continue on the tax issue but I see those as fair criticisms. Maybe it is just me but I don't see this derangement syndrome in the mainstream media.

Uh...you're surprised? The derangement syndrome argument has always just been a crutch when he's got nothing or is trying to distract from a particular lie he made. It's stupid and remedial and yet appropriate in describing his feelings about Obama. :lol:

Uh...you're surprised? The derangement syndrome argument has always just been a crutch when he's got nothing or is trying to distract from a particular lie he made. It's stupid and remedial and yet appropriate in describing his feelings about Obama. :lol:

Uh...I didn't say I was surprised.

Here are some coal miners who are probably feeling a little Romney Derangement right now.

The Pepper Pike company that owns the Century Mine told workers that attending the Aug. 14 Romney event would be both mandatory and unpaid, a top company official said Monday morning in a West Virginia radio interview.

ugh.

-k