Santorum is out

Guest American Woman

What happened to his pledge to stay on until the end?

It was the end; Romney was all but officially declared the winner, so at this point, with his sick child, it would make no sense to put up a front and go on with the show.

It was the end; Romney was all but officially declared the winner, so at this point, with his sick child, it would make no sense to put up a front and go on with the show.

I think he was using his daughter as a cheesy prop to demonstrate his devotion to "life". The fact is she has a sick existence and it has to affect the healthy children in his family. I am glad to see him out of race.

Guest American Woman
I think he was using his daughter as a cheesy prop to demonstrate his devotion to "life". The fact is she has a sick existence and it has to affect the healthy children in his family.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I am glad to see him out of race.

I never had a doubt that he would be out of the race.

Even though I despise some of his views, there are some things I came to admire about Santorum during the course of this campaign. His pride in his family, his pride in his western Pennsylvania roots, the strength of his convictions-- as much as I disagree with some of them. I like that he continued to defend his position regarding the Griswold supreme court ruling, even though his opinion wasn't popular. I liked when he blew up at that reporter. I like that with Rick Santorum, you knew he wasn't going to "Etch a Sketch" anything later on. I like that unlike his rivals, he didn't attack Mitt Romney for doing his job when Romney was at Bain Capital. I like that Rick spoke his mind, often to a fault.

Even though I don't like his views, he did have some qualities that I wish more politicians had.

-k

I think Rick probably deeply wanted to win Pennsylvania, not just as a matter of being critical to any chance of further continuing in the race, but especially because he wears Pennsylvania pride on his sleeve. I think he quit because he realized he was going to lose Pennsylvania, and to lose Pennsylvania wouldn't just make the delegate math insurmountable, it also would have broken his heart.

I think he was using his daughter as a cheesy prop to demonstrate his devotion to "life". The fact is she has a sick existence and it has to affect the healthy children in his family. I am glad to see him out of race.

Yes, his daughter is very sick, and it undoubtedly must affect the rest of the family. It probably weighs heavily on all of the Santorum family.

Are you suggesting that she should be euthanized or something?

-k

I've never liked Santorum. I hate him in fact. I think he is dangerous, and that if he had won the election, that people would die in poverty because of his decisions... however I respect him as a person, and feel for him in this time, and the fact that he'd rather drop and support his family only makes me respect him more.

Guest American Woman

Even though I despise some of his views, there are some things I came to admire about Santorum during the course of this campaign. His pride in his family, his pride in his western Pennsylvania roots, the strength of his convictions-- as much as I disagree with some of them. I like that he continued to defend his position regarding the Griswold supreme court ruling, even though his opinion wasn't popular. I liked when he blew up at that reporter. I like that with Rick Santorum, you knew he wasn't going to "Etch a Sketch" anything later on. I like that unlike his rivals, he didn't attack Mitt Romney for doing his job when Romney was at Bain Capital. I like that Rick spoke his mind, often to a fault.

Even though I don't like his views, he did have some qualities that I wish more politicians had.

What candidate doesn't have pride in his/her family? Most also speak their minds. As for strength of his convictions, I don't see him as any different from most politicians as he's certainly done his share of flip-flopping. He's also had his share of attack ads. I think you're giving him too much credit.

He can be a tough nut to crack in four years time. Most likely then there will be eight years of Obama coming to an end and people are disillusioned with the Obama-years and are yearning for a change once again. Whoever becomes the Democratic-candidate in 2016 will be at a major disadvantage.

He can be a tough nut to crack in four years time.

he would only receive support from the extremely loud and annoying religious right, which 'may' be enough to win the GOP but would not be enough to win the presidency.

and lol @ kimmy crushing on santorum.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I'm not sure what he's getting at either. It sounds idiotic though.

I am not an idiot and the two of you are the last posters that I would expect a personal attack from. I am very disappointed.

What I meant was that Santorum was using his ill daughter as a "message" that he wouldn't have aborted the daughter even though she's very sick and is doomed. I think trading on one's family's tragedy is disgusting.

American voters have shown some smarts. Romney is the most qualified and probably the only non-crazy of the GOP bunch. He's moderate, as is Obama. They're both puppets and sellouts, but at least they aren't morons nor insane. When was the last time there were POTUS candidates as competent as Obama/Romney in US history? If you think Romney > McCain, then it's been quite a long time.

Republicans chose the right guy IMO, and I'm glad the loud minority of wacko and dummy supporters weren't successful in nominating Santorum.

....Republicans chose the right guy IMO, and I'm glad the loud minority of wacko and dummy supporters weren't successful in nominating Santorum.

We're glad that you're glad....but anybody really following this race and money didn't give Santorum much of a chance in the first place. He could still come back as a veep candidate just to ruin your day in Canada.

He could still come back as a veep candidate just to ruin your day in Canada.

This.

I bet this is exactly what happens. Think about it, it counters Romney's perceived 'liberalism" and delivers the extremely social conservative vote, not that it would have gone anywhere else though.

This.

I bet this is exactly what happens. Think about it, it counters Romney's perceived 'liberalism" and delivers the extremely social conservative vote, not that it would have gone anywhere else though.

Romney will likely go with Rubio or maybe Paul Ryan. Definitely not Santorum.