Gas pushing $1:40 L

Guest Peeves

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that far off ;)

Don't complain when you choose to live closer to the homies :)

"the homies"?

What about the ,for example,Hungarian scumbag who just got sent to prison for essentially enslaving new immigrants in Hamilton?

Russian gangsters and human trafficking in this country?

So, what you're saying is we need better public transit. I agree. Public transit in North America blows.

Sure, I'd take transit down to where I worked if it was more convenient.

I do use city transit when I just don't want to drive... but it takes fricken so long to wait.

My time is money, thats has to be factored in.

How about you justmake our own ethanol and run your vehicle on that and let the oil companies run their own businesses. They don't owe you.

I swear people are becoming retarded. It is like expecting penny candies for life.

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/

http://americanfuels.blogspot.ca/2008/07/rubber-and-ethanol-from-dandelion.html

There are plenty of alternative to oil as a fuel. It isn't a monopoly, it is just people being retarded.

No peak oil yet. Oil is good business for Canada. Canadians need to use more public transit where it is available.

You can't force change, but you can force more change, if you allow it. The alternative is changing. It is your choice. Change is coming.

This is another application for LTA aircraft floating harvesters. tractors sink into tundra mud, but floating tractors float and only sythe the crop. With a few environmental sensors it can even be automated.

http://www.familyonbikes.org/educate/lessons/tundra.htm

With global warming more and more of the former tree line areas become ideal grasslands between the tundra and the boreal.

Edited by MACKER

How about you justmake our own ethanol and run your vehicle on that and let the oil companies run their own businesses. They don't owe you.

I swear people are becoming retarded. It is like expecting penny candies for life.

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/

http://americanfuels.blogspot.ca/2008/07/rubber-and-ethanol-from-dandelion.html

There are plenty of alternative to oil as a fuel. It isn't a monopoly, it is just people being retarded.

No peak oil yet. Oil is good business for Canada. Canadians need to use more public transit where it is available.

You can't force change, but you can force more change, if you allow it. The alternative is changing. It is your choice. Change is coming.

Change is here. Peak oil has been in North America for a long time. Conventional crude production peaked in the 70's. About half of Canadian oil production comes from the tar sands.

Biofuels might be the future but not they way you're presenting them. Using cropland to grow fuel or tires just pushes up the price of food and causes starvation. Add that to the collapsing fish stocks around the world and global famine looms large.

The future of biofuels is algae. Instead of using valuable cropland, you can use brackish water.

No matter how you slice it, though, things are going to change. Biofuels are not going to provide the type of energy density we need to sustain North American-type lifestyles. Not when the third world countries are growing wealthier and are going to demand lifestyle improvements of their own.

Move close to work. Dump the speedboat and the quad. Stop driving a fuel-guzzling pickup truck when all you really need is a smart car.

It really isn't that hard to figure out.

Change is here. Peak oil has been in North America for a long time. Conventional crude production peaked in the 70's. About half of Canadian oil production comes from the tar sands.

Biofuels might be the future but not they way you're presenting them. Using cropland to grow fuel or tires just pushes up the price of food and causes starvation. Add that to the collapsing fish stocks around the world and global famine looms large.

The future of biofuels is algae. Instead of using valuable cropland, you can use brackish water.

No matter how you slice it, though, things are going to change. Biofuels are not going to provide the type of energy density we need to sustain North American-type lifestyles. Not when the third world countries are growing wealthier and are going to demand lifestyle improvements of their own.

Move close to work. Dump the speedboat and the quad. Stop driving a fuel-guzzling pickup truck when all you really need is a smart car.

It really isn't that hard to figure out.

Nonsense,the price of oil is pricing up the cost of food eg. transport to market and farm equipment etc...

people can grow their own food for next to nothing, Russia obtains half of its food from their yards.

Canada could do the same - instead people opt to grow "grass" that they don't let actually mature.. (which would be edible but not an ideal crop) WORSE yet it is a common cultural practice to "mow" grass which wastes gasoline, it is just plain insane behaviour.

Then you have the nerve to bring up high food costs, all you got to do is put seeds in the soil. Yet people are putting seeds in the trash which goes to a toxic garbage dump.. it is insane behaviour.

There are alternatives available, including ethonol stills. People should be using public transit when it is available, it isn't always available, but just think of the ethonol potential of Northern canada that is or was tundra.. now it can grow ethanol, (and methane gas and thus hydrogen) The land up north is a massive untapped resource. People are just stupid.

Edited by MACKER

Nonsense,the price of oil is pricing up the cost of food eg. transport to market and farm equipment etc...

people can grow their own food for next to nothing, Russia obtains half of its food from their yards.

Canada could do the same - instead people opt to grow "grass" that they don't let actually mature.. (which would be edible but not an ideal crop) WORSE yet it is a common cultural practice to "mow" grass which wastes gasoline, it is just plain insane behaviour.

Then you have the nerve to bring up high food costs, all you got to do is put seeds in the soil. Yet people are putting seeds in the trash which goes to a toxic garbage dump.. it is insane behaviour.

There are alternatives available, including ethonol stills. People should be using public transit when it is available, it isn't always available, but just think of the ethonol potential of Northern canada that is or was tundra.. now it can grow ethanol, (and methane gas and thus hydrogen) The land up north is a massive untapped resource. People are just stupid.

I agree there is plenty of wasted land in lawns. I just don't think that the the land lost to ethanol production that would be required to replace fossil fuels would be made up by planting gardens instead of lawn.

Let me put it this way. Could you grow enough biomass in an average backyard to run your car? I don't think so.

Prove me wrong. Show me the math.

I rue the day when my grandkids ask me just what the hell were we thinking in the latter half of the 20th century and the first half of the 21st. It took the earth 500 million years to produce the fossil fuels and we burn them in ride-on mowers and hummers. Ridiculous lifestyles where we live 2 hours from work. Childless couples living in 3000 square foot homes. If stupidity could be criminal, this is what it would look like.

"the homies"?

What about the ,for example,Hungarian scumbag who just got sent to prison for essentially enslaving new immigrants in Hamilton?

Russian gangsters and human trafficking in this country?

Hamilton isn't really a suburb, it's an urban centre like Toronto. Real Estate is dirt cheap there though. Well unless you live on the Mountain.

Hamilton isn't really a suburb, it's an urban centre like Toronto. Real Estate is dirt cheap there though. Well unless you live on the Mountain.

Hamilton is a city with some nice parts.

I wouldn't choose to live there though.

I rue the day when my grandkids ask me just what the hell were we thinking in the latter half of the 20th century and the first half of the 21st. It took the earth 500 million years to produce the fossil fuels and we burn them in ride-on mowers and hummers. Ridiculous lifestyles where we live 2 hours from work. Childless couples living in 3000 square foot homes. If stupidity could be criminal, this is what it would look like.

Absolutely.

I still don't know why people suburban people use gas mowers. I own a the reel mower and it works fine... You don't need 6.8 Horses to CUT GRASS.

Absolutely.

I still don't know why people suburban people use gas mowers. I own a the reel mower and it works fine... You don't need 6.8 Horses to CUT GRASS.

That would depend on how much grass you have to cut. It takes me a hair under 4 hours to cut it all on the Deere, 54 inch deck. Topography also enters into the equation. Do you know why now?

That would depend on how much grass you have to cut. It takes me a hair under 4 hours to cut it all on the Deere, 54 inch deck. Topography also enters into the equation. Do you know why now?

You live in an urban area and it takes you 4 hours to cut the grass on a John Deere w/ a 54" deck?

Could you grow enough biomass in an average backyard to run your car? I don't think so.

There's also the issue of property size: the bigger each lot is around you, the farther away everything gets from your house, requiring more fuel to get anywhere. (Not to mention the required increased size and scope of infrastructure - roads, water and sanitary lines, storm sewers, etc.)

I guess using that land to grow your own fuel would at least be a better use of it than what it's mostly used for now: decoration.

X 3.78

The conversion I got was 4.56 l per gallon which means that Buffalo is paying aprox 0.94 per litre

conversely we are paying $5.29 per Gallon (I think US gal)

The price of gas will be a big factor in the coming election in the States---- if we have another Ontario election (or is she just huffing & puffing?) we should make it a big factor here.

Edited by Tilter

The conversion I got was 4.56 l per gallon which means that Buffalo is paying aprox 0.94 per litre

conversely we are paying $5.29 per Gallon (I think US gal)

The price of gas will be a big factor in the coming election in the States---- if we have another Ontario election (or is she just huffing & puffing?) we should make it a big factor here.

4.56 is for Imperial gallons. The question asked was about US gallons. The conversion for USG is 3.78.

Guest Peeves

All well and good, but I don't think there is a shortage, I thinks it's more about greed and speculators.

I just finished hauling a trailer back home from southern California. The average price I paid for diesel was about $4.40 per USG or $1.16 a liter. Diesel in Abbotsford right now is around $1.35 a liter and in the GVRD with its higher taxes it runs around 10 cents more.