Canada's #1

A Gallup poll shows Americans feel Canadians are #1 with them. I, find this hard to believe because I've been on different forums and know that is isn't neccessarily true and did they poll 330 Mil Americans? I do believe we are do get along with the US but lets face it, the US have loss respectabilty in the world since GW was president and I think most people have problems with the government of the US rather than the people. Thoughts? http://ca.news.yahoo.com/americans-feel-big-love-canada-gallup-survey-finds-232704316.html

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure they do. Just ask bush_cheney2004 or American Woman. They know more about us than we know about us. :rolleyes:

That's jejune. Americans come in contact with Canadians/Canadiens all the time. Sometimes at our best sometimes at our worst (as in Florida perchance.)

Our border with the USA goes forever. Our shopping, trade, general partnership and economies are tied irrevocably given our geographic position and origins in law etc.

We are best friends, kissin cousins,and neighbors.

Bush of course would perhaps disagree. "Tabassum Zakaria

Reuters US Online Report Top News

May 14, 2008 17:29 EST

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - President George W. Bush, in the Middle East to encourage struggling Israeli-Palestinian peace talks, has emphasized historic ties with Israel

saying the United States was its "oldest and best friend in the world."

I think most Americans would name Canada as their best friend.

There was a time when a Cretien was, along with a few other Liberals, quick to belittle and insult our friend and neighbor for purely political ends. That did cause strained relations, but families differ at times.

Having lived, traveled and been in contact with Americans both here and there, I would suggest the o.p. is a subjective opinion.

Americans maybe know little about Canada's country/history, but they know Canadians, particularly from " The Canadian Caper" and Ken Taylor, The first Iran war, Korea, Afghanistan and perhaps.... :P

our loonie-twonie and our personalities and contributions to the USA stage, music and movie industry, free trade,not to mention Canada's most famous hosers, Bob and Doug McKenzie.

I'm proud of Canada, and, proud too of our neighbors, few surpass them.

...the US have loss respectabilty in the world since GW was president and I think most people have problems with the government of the US rather than the people. Thoughts?

I think you and some other (not all) Canadians see this issue from a biased perspective and expectation that Americans should view the two nations' relationship and global "community" as Canadians do, when this is not the case. Canadians express this desire to be "loved" or "respected" as part of the Canadian identity, defined mostly in contrast to the United States and Americans, even when that is hard to do.

For lots of reasons, the relationship is not balanced and defined in part by emphasizing differences over the larger number of similarities. From a human capital and immigration view, Mexico is #1. As for the world, there are practical "voting with their feet" reasons why the US population is so much greater than Canada's, regardless of what the US government does.

The EU now advertises the most integrated economic relationship with the United States:

EU-US economic cooperation

The EU and the US enjoy the most integrated economic relationship in the world, illustrated by unrivaled levels of mutual investment stocks, reaching over €2.1 trillion. Total US investment in the EU is three times higher than in all of Asia and EU investment in the US is around eight times the amount of EU investment in India and China together.

The huge American market has many suitors....Canada is no longer viewed by the USA in a last century context. Go global or go home.

Guest American Woman

Sure they do. Just ask bush_cheney2004 or American Woman. They know more about us than we know about us. :rolleyes:

In some instances, about some issues, we do know more than some of you. ;)

This can't be. Canada, after all, is mo important than any other country.

So you think "favorable impression" is synonymous with "most important?" Because it's not. There. You learned something new today. :)

Guest American Woman

A Gallup poll shows Americans feel Canadians are #1 with them. I, find this hard to believe because I've been on different forums and know that is isn't neccessarily true and did they poll 330 Mil Americans? I do believe we are do get along with the US but lets face it, the US have loss respectabilty in the world since GW was president and I think most people have problems with the government of the US rather than the people. Thoughts? http://ca.news.yahoo.com/americans-feel-big-love-canada-gallup-survey-finds-232704316.html

Wait a minute - why are you going off about how the world feels about Americans? This poll is about how Americans feel about the rest of the world. I'm sure we're #1 with Canadians too, though. I know ya'll love us just as much as we love you. :)

Guest American Woman

Speak softly and a carry a big...plate of poutine to share with your friends!

We're so freaking loveable it's ridiculous :D

And put another shrimp on the barbie - Aussies aren't far behind Canadians,so you might want to work a bit harder to keep that coveted #1 position. B)

There is an argument that it would be beneficial, given the close integration.

More beneficial to Canada than to Americans. But I understand the need for a self-serving argument.

This thread continues the demonstrated neurosis about the two nations' relationship, mostly in one direction. Add it to the pile of "NAU", Canadian statehood, security partnership, CRTC, softwood lumber, and "I wish I could vote for US president" threads.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Knowledge is always beneficial, especially when you share a continent, an energy grid, a close trading relationship, and a close alliance.

So tell me all about Mexico, America's other "Canada", that you share a "continent" with. I don't think most Canadians appreciate that the United States has a lot more going on than gazing over the "world's longest unprotected border". Canada is only 8% of the continent's population, and there are many other nations in the hemisphere as well.

Guest American Woman

And yet, arguably, Canada is the most important to the United States of all of those other countries.

You keep stating that as if your belief makes it true. At least you've added "arguably" now ... I guess anything and everything anyone would want to claim is "arguably" true, eh? :P

Guest American Woman

I isn't my belief. It's the truth. You continue to deny it, for some strange reason.

Ummm, no. It's not the truth.* You're going to have to be content with being most loved. "We like you! We really really like you!"

For some reason you have this need to believe that Canada is more important to the U.S. than any other nation, but that's not what this poll was about - and there are other nations that are just as important for varying reasons. But we do love you best. ;) Doesn't that feel good?

*Your opinion does not = "the truth."

Edited by American Woman

Neither does yours. Mine at least, is backed up by evidence, in regards to trade, energy, defence agreements, the quotes of various leaders. Still, you stick to your own position, as you so often do, in the face of whatever evidence is presented.

If Canada wasn't the most important country to the US, I'd have no problem saying that. It is though.

Guest American Woman

Neither does yours. Mine at least, is backed up by evidence, in regards to trade, energy, defence agreements, the quotes of various leaders. Still, you stick to your own position, as you so often do, in the face of whatever evidence is presented.

Oh. My. God. I've explained to you why Canada isn't "more" important than other nations. You just refuse to accept it.

If Canada wasn't the most important country to the US, I'd have no problem saying that. It is though.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And one more - :lol: - simply because there aren't enough :lol: 's in the world.

It's your opinion that it is - it's not the U.S.'s opinion.