Canada's #1

You could make a meh case for Mexico, and a decent case for China (buyer of debt, reliance on cheap labour/goods for higher standard of living), but I'm pretty sure most who analyzed it would say Canada is the most important country to the US.

This is exactly why the claim is subjective and self serving on the part of Canada. Logically, the proposition is easily challenged by asking which nations are #2, #3, #4, or #5. Saying "Canada is most important" does not make it so.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's OK...unlike in Canada, we're not afraid of a civil war. Hoe's that Quebec thing going?

you werent in the past but you will be now.. people are too consumed with music, tv, drugs, getting laid.. and living their lives

but sooner or later something will happen to kick start it

can you see the repubs taking another 4 years of obama?

can you see the US surviving 4 years of a Santorum?

Romney wont win the nomination, itll be Santorum

you werent in the past but you will be now.. people are too consumed with music, tv, drugs, getting laid.. and living their lives

but sooner or later something will happen to kick start it

Gee, seems like they do the same thing in Canada. So what's the difference...better TV shows?

can you see the repubs taking another 4 years of obama?

can you see the US surviving 4 years of a Santorum?

Of course...the United States does not live or die based on one president (or PM/Queen). You wouldn't understand that.

Romney wont win the nomination, itll be Santorum

The Republicans can nominate whomever they wish...it's their party. Jealous?

AW, I like you. You seem like a good person, a smart person. But for some reason when you get into certain debates (like this one) with Canadian posters having opinions on the US that make you feel slighted because of your nationalistic pride, logic seems to fly out the window with you and it's impossible to have a fair, rational debate with you. You get your back up and get all butt-hurt. Looking at the threads in the "US Politics" forum, if I were an American maybe I'd be reacting the same, dunno. It's just hard to debate you on US political matters because you make it all "American vs Canadian". I tried to make my previous post as respectful and analytical as I could, it still didn't work.

I'd debate you on this but it's just going to go in circles, so let's just agree to disagree.

We have you, along with several others who all criticize the U.S. - it's evil, it's not well regarded, it's responsible for all sorts of nasty things worldwide - insisting that Canada is "the most important nation to the U.S." You are insisting no other nation is as important, as you wash your hands of the U.S. and claim to be "most loved." Ironic - no? - that citizens from the "most important" country to the U.S. completely wash their hands of the U.S. when it suits you. How can you have it both ways?

Wa??? Again, I think I'm very fair on the US. I criticize them when they deserve it, I also praise them and have several times on here argued how the US is under-appreciated, especially as the global hegemon. I posted a thread last week titled "This is why America is great" for crying out loud! Can't win with you.

....We have you, along with several others who all criticize the U.S. - it's evil, it's not well regarded, it's responsible for all sorts of nasty things worldwide - insisting that Canada is "the most important nation to the U.S." You are insisting no other nation is as important, as you wash your hands of the U.S. and claim to be "most loved." Ironic - no? - that citizens from the "most important" country to the U.S. completely wash their hands of the U.S. when it suits you. How can you have it both ways?

Yes, this is most perplexing, but consistent with the neurotic "can't live with them...can't live without them" position displayed by some members here and by Canadian political leadership. It is odd, and an unending source of entertainment! ;)

the US has done all kinds of evil things worldwide since the end of WW2

Why do so many Canadians make such a distinction vis-a-vis "WW2".

the world doesnt not like you for no reason!

The world still goes to America more than Canada.

and the world has always loved canada since we have obviously not done

the amount of damage the US has done

That's because Canada is an excellent stepping stone to America.

What the heck does being the "most important country" even mean? Every country is a part of the world, and without any given country, the world would be irrevocably different than it is, and each and every other country would exist in that different world.

Anyway, claims involving the word "most" must necessarily be quantitative in nature. For example, one can claim that Canada is the USA's most important trading partner (by the monetary value of goods and services exchanged), or supplier of oil (by barrels of oil per unit time), etc. These claims can be verified by specific data and evidence. But how can "most important" be quantified? It is clearly subjective. The only relevant data on the subject would be if someone conducted a statistically significant poll asking individual Americans what they thought of as the most important country to them.

This has nothing to do with how Americans feel. It has to do with the impact on their lives. Whether or not they know it, Canada is at the top of that list in the largest number or categories.

This is also subjective....46 million Americans came from another nation, and it wasn't all Canada! ;)

For a place that is so "important", most Americans don't think about Canada at all. Why should they?

This has nothing to do with how Americans feel. It has to do with the impact on their lives. Whether or not they know it, Canada is at the top of that list in the largest number or categories.

No, not really, because "most important" is an entirely nebulous and ill-defined categorization. So what if Canada tops the list regarding oil supplies, trade revenue, and electrical infrastructure, if what really weighs on American's psyches are/were, for example, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?

By the way, what does the "number of categories" have to do with anything? Who enumerates these categories, and assigns them their relative weights in the aggregate evaluation of overall importance? Can you provide an exhaustive list of these categories, the values of the top contender countries in each of these categories, the weighting placed on each category, and the total number of points each country scores in this way? Can you then show that the way you have weighed the categories and assigned values to different countries in each of them makes any sense?

Anyway, how important something is to a group of people (which is what a nation is), can only be assessed by asking that group of people, because importance is inherently a subjective, perceived, phenomenon. So of course what Americans feel has everything to do with what is important to America.

Edited by Bonam

Again how Americans fel has nothing to do with it. You actually seem to be going out of your way to not understand the actual argument, which has been shown more than once, by more than one person.

No I just don't care what some stale old "argument" is. What I am doing is making a direct criticism of the claim that was made, nothing more nothing less. The fact that two people who are both reasonably proficient at comprehending the English language can not even agree in the most basic terms on what "most important" even means in this context just goes to show how useless of a categorization it really is.

Edited by Bonam

Guest American Woman

Most significant, if you prefer.

No matter how you try to spin it, you're just going to have to stop qualifying it with "the most" and live with it.

It's been repeated over and over ad naseum now that this is a qualification that you, nor the several other Canadians agreeing with you and insulting bc and me, cannot make. It's been pointed out to you time and again why. Your need to believe otherwise does nothing to change the reality.

Guest American Woman

There is no need on my part and I don't care what I "get" out of you. The facts are the facts and Smallc illustrated them clearly.

The "facts" don't add up to a subjective claim. Bottom line. Americans determine what's most important to the US; you don't get to determine the value of the stats provided. I'll repeat for you one more time - Americans have different criteria in some regards as to what's "most important," and only Americans get to determine that.

I provided a quote for you, which evidently you chose to ignore. No surprise there.

Are you aware of what this thread is/was about.

I thought it was about a poll that came out from the US that suggested that 96% of Americans like Canadians or Canada or something like that(I am not sure of the exact wording but you get the idea).

WWWTT

Again how Americans fel has nothing to do with it. You actually seem to be going out of your way to not understand the actual argument, which has been shown more than once, by more than one person.

Why are you getting sucked into this side argument apart from the original thread?

This thread was originaly about a poll done in the US about how Americans "Feel" or their opinion.

WWWTT

For a place that is so "important", most Americans don't think about Canada at all. Why should they?

Not according to a recent poll conducted in the US.

Or maybe you can provide a link to a recent stat that proves otherwise?

WWWTT