SunTV gone from Rogers basic cable package

Noticed this recently. I used to have SunTV on channel 66 (666?:o) with the rest of the Rogers basic cable channels under channel 100. Now it's gone, and ch. 66 is replaced with 'CityNews Channel'. It's kinda like any other "headline news" type channel, ie: crappy.

Now if you have Rogers basic cable no more SunTV. If you want SunTV, as far as I know you have to either pay $20 for the next level of Rogers cable ("Digital Plus") or pay $5 for the "news" package of channels.

IMO I think this is too bad since SunTV, while IMO complete rubbish half the time, at least offered very different point of views than just about all other Canadian MSM TV...which is almost always a good thing.

I'm curious as to the reason for this change.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed this recently. I used to have SunTV on channel 66 (666?:o) with the rest of the Rogers basic cable channels under channel 100. Now it's gone, and ch. 66 is replaced with 'CityNews Channel'. It's kinda like any other "headline news" type channel, ie: crappy.

Now if you have Rogers basic cable no more SunTV. If you want SunTV, as far as I know you have to either pay $20 for the next level of Rogers cable ("Digital Plus") or pay $5 for the "news" package of channels.

IMO I think this is too bad since SunTV, while IMO complete rubbish half the time, at least offered very different point of views than just about all other Canadian MSM TV...which is almost always a good thing.

I'm curious as to the reason for this change.

I've been expecting this for a while, MG. The CRTC has some strange rules and some obsolete ones that they still apply. SunTV started off being broadcast over the air directly from a local transmitter. The rules, dating from who knows how long ago - the birth of cable, perhaps, say that over-the-air broadcasters within a certain radius of a cable company must be carried as a basic cable service.

Back around Sept 1 when the TV world converted to digital, SunTV had been carried by southern Ontario cable networks as a basic service but when SunTV swung a deal to be carried as a specialty channel on cable networks across the country, like the History Channel, Discovery, or SpaceTV, they stopped broadcasting directly over-the-air.

There are advantages of course to doing this. Transmitters and their upkeep are a bit of a cost. Cable reaches most viewers these days anyway.

I wondered how long it would take for the CRTC to notice that SunTV was no longer being broadcast over-the-air, or OTA as the industry calls it. No OTA, no obligation for cable companies to put in on basic service.

It's worse for guys like me, who don't have cable or satellite. There's a huge movement since things went digital to go back to having an antenna and receive for free. I get 20 some odd channels, including all the major US and Canadian networks. I don't of course get the cable only specialty channels but I can pick much of their programming up from their websites and feed it to the HDMI input on my TV. Plus being digital, you either get the channel perfectly or you don't. There are no snowy digital signals on your TV. What's more, since the stations all broadcast in HD, that's how you get it on your TV, with no surcharge since its free anyway! And direct signals over the air are ALWAYS a bit sharper than ones put through all the equipment necessary to carry it on cable or satellite.

So I'm quite happy with OTA for free, except that I NO LONGER HAVE A SUNTV SIGNAL AVAILABLE!

Doubleplusungoodcrapola! Depending on the CBC and that George Snuffleupagus bores the ass off of me!

If a tree fell in the forest and nobody ways there to hear it... would anybody give a crap? I haven't checked, but I expect that their ratings are comparable to the TV test pattern channel.

My experience with SunTV begins and ends with that clip of Krista Erickson making an epic fool of herself. It was like watching an SNL skit parodying Fox News.

-k

There's an iphone app called tunein radio. With it you can listen to any radio station broadcast on the net, and you can also search for talk shows like Adlers, or local radio stations in your area. But for best reception you need wifi.

I've got a dock that passes digital to a stand alone DAC which is connected to my bedroom stereo, and I get pretty good quality audio on anything I listen to through this app. Anyway, Adler is one of my presets, as well as a few American talk show hosts.

I can't say that I'm the biggest Sun News fans out there.

I'm not like some of the people that hate it because it's a conservative alternative to the CBC News, some of the people on there are really good.

I used to love Michael Coren's show on the Christian-based CTS but everytime I tune into his show he's talking about the middle-east or gay issues or anti-freedom issue, it's a lot of the same old stuff. I really would like to hear more panel shows like he did on CTS.

I still don't understand the outrage with the Krista Erickson clip. The woman she was interviewing made a good living basically getting government grants for interpretive dance. I'd have met her with hostility to.

If I want to passively watch TV news broadcasts, I have no problem tuning into Sun over CBC News.

Edited by Boges

I have Bell.

Bell has no Sun News network.

Adler is a classless buffoon. He wrote Jack Layton a letter after he was dead... classy.

His "Dear Jack" Letters were a common thing on his radio show I do believe. I guess he did one after his death probably regarding the ridiculous treatment the death got in the media. WGAF.

I wondered how long it would take for the CRTC to notice that SunTV was no longer being broadcast over-the-air, or OTA as the industry calls it. No OTA, no obligation for cable companies to put in on basic service.

Probably less than one tenth of a second, SNN handed in their OTA licence to the CRTC back in the spring.

SNN couldnt play ball with two licences.

I would love to see the numbers they get since the switch to cable. They were pretty pathetic when they were OTA (despite the way they tried to spin the numbers).

Edited by guyser

I still don't understand the outrage with the Krista Erickson clip. The woman she was interviewing made a good living basically getting government grants for interpretive dance. I'd have met her with hostility to.

It's not that Erickson was hostile toward the idea of someone receiving government grants for something of dubious value.

It's that Erickson conducted herself like a grade A imbecile.

-k

Your outrage is misdirected. She applied for or otherwise earned the grants that she was given. She's also one of the most successful persons in her field. What kind of idiot gives her grief over that? If you have a problem with the government grant programs, then perhaps you should take it out with the government. It's like getting pissed off at people for claiming tax credits because you don't agree with the purpose of the credits. You only come off looking like a complete asshat.