Disabling Smilies in Posts

cybercoma

As many people are probably well aware, trolls seem to enjoy littering their posts with derisive smilies. They're obnoxious and take away from the conversation. If you find them completely unnecessary and would rather not saying them, you can actually disable them from posts on the forum by doing the following:

At the top of the page click 'My Setting'

Click the 'Forums' tab

Uncheck the box that says "View images in posts, such as smilies and posted images?"

You'll never see another smiley on the forum again. On other forums this would remove images from posts as well, but Greg already disabled images in forum posts. The only thing this option does now is remove all the smilies from posts. Instead you will simply see the code used to enter them. (ie, :lol:)

Bonus Tip: On this page you can actually change the number of posts per page to 40. It makes the threads easier to read, but the pages take longer to load. This forum doesn't have avatars and images though, so the difference in page load times will be nearly unnoticeable.

Uhh...do you mean like this ?? Emoticons are a feature of this American forum engine, and are enabled by the administrator. Accordingly, their use is approved up to a maximum number per post.

oooo$$$$$$$$$$$$oooo
                     oo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$oo
                  oo$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o         o$   $$ o$
  o $ oo        o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$o       $$ $$ $$o$
oo $ $ "$      o$$$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$o       $$$o$$o$
"$$$$$$o$     o$$$$$$$$$      $$$$$$$$$$$      $$$$$$$$$$o    $$$$$$$$
 $$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$$$      $$$$$$$$$$$      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$  """$$$
  "$$$""""$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$     "$$$
   $$$   o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$     "$$$o
  o$$"   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$       $$$o
  $$$    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$" "$$$$$$ooooo$$$$o
 o$$$oooo$$$$$  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   o$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 $$$$$$$$"$$$$   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$     $$$$""""""""
""""       $$$$    "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"      o$$$
           "$$$o     """$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"$$"         $$$
             $$$o          "$$""$$$$$$""""           o$$$
              $$$$o                                o$$$"
               "$$$$o      o$$$$$$o"$$$$o        o$$$$
                 "$$$$$oo     ""$$$$o$$$$$o   o$$$$""
                    ""$$$$$oooo  "$$$o$$$$$$$$$"""
                       ""$$$$$$$oo $$$$$$$$$$
                               """"$$$$$$$$$$$
                                   $$$$$$$$$$$$
                                    $$$$$$$$$$"
                                     "$$$""

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Thanks for the tip cybercoma!

Shwa also likes to use the smiley face a lot too!

I find the smiley face to be somewhat immature, annoying and much over-rated.But thanks to you no more!

Can you imagine a legal document or any kind of government documents with a smiley face on them!?!?

WWWTT

Guest American Woman

Not the same without the smile and rolling eyes!

WWWTT

Awww, shucks. :-(

But for the record, I can't imagine anyone comparing a post on this board to "a legal document or any kind of government documents." ;-)

Edited by American Woman

Awww, shucks. :-(

But for the record, I can't imagine anyone comparing a post on this board to "a legal document or any kind of government documents." ;-)

I don't think you were ever one of the people here who has used the smiley face here in an anoying manner?

I honestly believe you are not an anoying person to begin with so it is not in you to write/comment/reply in this manner.Even when you try it seems somewhat artificial?Definetely not anoying.

As far as comparing comments/posts/threads to a legal document,I guess you do not take anyone here serious?

WWWTT

Guest American Woman

I don't think you were ever one of the people here who has used the smiley face here in an anoying manner?

I honestly believe you are not an anoying person to begin with so it is not in you to write/comment/reply in this manner.Even when you try it seems somewhat artificial?Definetely not anoying.

Just trying to take the light touch - just don't see the smilies as the "derisive" work of "trolls," I guess. I think they can let someone know if the poster is being sarcastic, or taking the light touch, or just wants to try to add some level of context to their post at times. The written word, lacking in emotion/inflection, can be taken the wrong way sometimes and I think some add emoticons for that reason - I don't think it's as sinister as it's been made out to be. So just thought I'd try to have some fun with it - but apparently, even with my (non)emoticons, it didn't come across that way.

As far as comparing comments/posts/threads to a legal document,I guess you do not take anyone here serious?

I take a lot of things seriously that I don't put on the same level as a legal document. Legal documents are held to quite a different standard than normal, every day conversations - and they are, in truth, quite dry and boring for the most part.

Just trying to take the light touch - just don't see the smilies as the "derisive" work of "trolls," I guess. I think they can let someone know if the poster is being sarcastic, or taking the light touch, or just wants to try to add some level of context to their post at times. The written word, lacking in emotion/inflection, can be taken the wrong way sometimes and I think some add emoticons for that reason - I don't think it's as sinister as it's been made out to be. So just thought I'd try to have some fun with it - but apparently, even with my (non)emoticons, it didn't come across that way.

Well said, AW.

Too bad some people are too stupid to not understand this. :lol:

:P to those people. :D

---------------

I better edit this for the tone deaf:

I'm just kidding.

It's a joke.

So we disagree over the use of emoticons.

Its' a joke.

Edited by msj

Some of you will turn anything into an argument. Disable them or not. I don't care. I'm just informing those that would like to that there is an option for it. If you weren't invovled in the discussions, it was a major annoyance for people trying to have an actual discussion with betsy when she was posting.

Guest American Woman

Some of you will turn anything into an argument. Disable them or not. I don't care. I'm just informing those that would like to that there is an option for it. If you weren't invovled in the discussions, it was a major annoyance for people trying to have an actual discussion with betsy when she was posting.

You want to know what's an annoyance for me? Yours, and a couple of others, constant "troll" accusations. If there were only an option to disable that, I'd be right on it - because that's really annoying to the accused as well as others who are trying to have an actual discussion.

So fyi, you were doing more than 'informing people about the ability to disable smilies' - you opined that they are "derisive," "obnoxious," "take away from the conversations," and are used by "trolls" - and then you act all surprised at the responses and accuse people of tying to turn a simple 'informative' post "into an argument."

:rolleyes:<rolls eyes>

You want to know what's an annoyance for me? Yours, and a couple of others, constant "troll" accusations. If there were only an option to disable that, I'd be right on it - because that's really annoying to the accused as well as others who are trying to have an actual discussion.

So fyi, you were doing more than 'informing people about the ability to disable smilies' - you opined that they are "derisive," "obnoxious," "take away from the conversations," and are used by "trolls" - and then you act all surprised at the responses and accuse people of tying to turn a simple 'informative' post "into an argument."

:rolleyes:<rolls eyes>

That's nice. If you don't think there are trolls that fill their posts with smilies indicating derision and you don't find it obnoxious, then don't disable them. That's why I said, "if you find them unnecessary [here's what to do]." Once again, you start a fight and become condescending about nothing. It's like it's the end of the world that I suggested people use emoticons to troll. Get a grip. Edited by cybercoma