Trolling

monty16

To get the ball rolling, I'm going to suggest that the term 'trolling' is really what any forum is all about. So why would anybody take exception to 'trolling' if in fact a forum is actually encouraging it?

Granted, some few members take part in the kind of conversation that is searching each other for answers to any number of questions. But look at the content of any thread to see that is far outweighed by members eliciting a response from a political or ideological opponent. That act of eliciting will almost never be done in a way that would be asking for an opinion from the opponent that could conceivable be acceptable to the enquirer.

So considering that 'trolling' as such is quite acceptable to forums and forum members, can we not be more specific in our charges against others?

For instance: If one makes the claim that most Americans are hypocrites because they overlook their war crimes in a dishonest way, would that be 'trolling' for a response and be outside the forum's rules. Or would it just be normal behavious here and only content which would be seen as totally acceptable. And if it is seen as being unsuitable or against forum rules to make such or similar comments, then what more suitable charge could be levelled at the offender? Then, would the charge be anything more than just one person's political or ideological opinion and be completely within the parameters of good behaviour to another member?

It's what your post is.

You see, that post is more to the point than most. It's an insult aimed at me that's probably going to fall within the rules. No less egregious in it's content than coming right out and calling me a troll. So if that's within forum rules then is it not what a forum is all about.

It could be termed as 'trolling' this thread but I promised I wouldn't use the term loosely. I'll just call it irrelevant to the purpose of this thread and a childish response to a serious topic. Not to mention that it indicates a fear of being exposed by the poster *'itself'.

* well within the apparent rules of this forum

For instance: If one makes the claim that most Americans are hypocrites because they overlook their war crimes in a dishonest way, would that be 'trolling' for a response and be outside the forum's rules. Or would it just be normal behavious here and only content which would be seen as totally acceptable. And if it is seen as being unsuitable or against forum rules to make such or similar comments, then what more suitable charge could be levelled at the offender? Then, would the charge be anything more than just one person's political or ideological opinion and be completely within the parameters of good behaviour to another member?

What you are describing there is not trolling, it is a personal attack(at least if what you are referring to is your attack on me, thinking I was an American), also against the rules of the forum. I suggest you read over the rules and guidelines of the forum so you can be better educated as to which rules you are talking about.

Also, a few of us have mentioned that your use of the term "ditzy Woman" against American Woman was out of line, but you continued to use it. You've called me a liar as well, and I suspect you've similarly attacked many posters here as from what I've read of your posts, you are liberal with accusations such as these.

Your stay here might not be that long if you continue in this manner.

Edited by sharkman

"a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water. This may be behind a moving boat, or by slowly winding the line in when fishing from a static position, or even sweeping the line from side-to-side.

Trolling can be confused with trawling, a different method of fishing where a net (trawl) is drawn through the water instead of lines. Trolling is used both for recreational and commercial fishing whereas trawling is used mainly for commercial fishing."

In other words trolling is for amateurs. To haul in the big ones, the real pros trawl...

I never troll. I express my points of view which on occasion might irk or anger those who are ideologically opposed to me. That's their issue, not mine.

If one wanted to guarantee not to offend any reader then one would not post. The mere act of posting an opinion suggests that one wants someone to read it and comment on it. If that was not the intent then one would post only to be able to read their own post on their computer screen as part of an opinion board a fact that somehow validates that point of view to the poster.

Any opinion will elicit a negative response in somebody.

I have been active on anonymous electronic bulletin boards for many years and can remember only two instances where someone was able to change somebody elses opinion and stated that fact as a post.

There are interesting studies which include disturbing conclusions as to why some people post anonymously to these kinds of boards.

Edited by Big Guy

Guest Peeves

Trolling in my opinion is baiting someone testily or in an attempt to cause conflict or adversarial, confrontational positions.

Rather than,

in or by presenting a position in reasonable terms that will engender discussion and orderly discourse.

A fine point at times I grant you, but if an element of demeaning the poster or their source is the main content of any response I would consider that trolling and unhelpful.

Leave out insulting response and you encourage debate and discourse between those venturing an opinion and expecting respect.

Boy I'm going to go out and party tonight and get so drunk I can barely stand! Sometimes I have a hard time getting home then, but heck, I've driven that highway so often I can do it in my sleep, so I'm not too worried!

That's trolling. Bound to draw in all kinds of outraged postings condemning drinking and driving, threats to call the police, personal insults about my parents, etc. etc. If I really want to continue I can argue the point, say that drinking and driving laws are useless, etc. etc., just to see how many people want to yell and get all worked up at me.

It's not any kind of serious effort at discussion. It's just an attempt to get people worked up.

"a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water. This may be behind a moving boat, or by slowly winding the line in when fishing from a static position, or even sweeping the line from side-to-side.

Trolling can be confused with trawling, a different method of fishing where a net (trawl) is drawn through the water instead of lines. Trolling is used both for recreational and commercial fishing whereas trawling is used mainly for commercial fishing."

In other words trolling is for amateurs. To haul in the big ones, the real pros trawl...

You need different types of gear to catch different types of fish. A real pro for example would never use a trawl to catch a salmon and an amateur could troll for shrimp until the cows came home and never catch a single one.

When fishing for forum posters, dynamite works best. If you're not fussy you'll almost always catch something.

When fishing for forum posters, dynamite works best. If you're not fussy you'll almost always catch something.

let's not forget those quite skillful in the art of 'reverse trolling'... laying down a slightly subtler comment intended to illicit the greater perceived egregious response... one, invariably tied to a quick trigger finger on the Report tab. You know, playing the ref in hopes of sending someone on a forced vacation.

let's not forget those quite skillful in the art of 'reverse trolling'... laying down a slightly subtler comment intended to illicit the greater perceived egregious response... one, invariably tied to a quick trigger finger on the Report tab. You know, playing the ref in hopes of sending someone on a forced vacation.

True...but that's just part of the game around here. Taking a "flop" for the refs is a strategy by some members to quarantine competing viewpoints for a spell. It matters not what the actual exchange may have been, just that someone makes the report.

Maybe this is a Canadian forum after all! ;)

Speaking of which, I wonder where monty1 is these days, he started this thread and then hasn't posted in it since.

At any rate, subtle digs and such are not what the trolling or personal attack rules are there for. If you sign up in a forum, you are agreeing to play by their rules or face their moderators. It's their sandbox, but we are all big boys and girls and can handle the heat, no?

True...but that's just part of the game around here. Taking a "flop" for the refs is a strategy by some members to quarantine competing viewpoints for a spell. It matters not what the actual exchange may have been, just that someone makes the report.

clearly, there are real itchy fingers on the Report tab around here... there's a few guys I'm anticipating will be back shortly... hopefully. Of course, those 'playing the ref', sometimes just tick off forced vacationers to the point they leave the board entirely... or for extended periods. Not sure why these Reporting whiners and cry-babies don't just avail themselves of the Ignore feature.

Well, we've both see the inside of the Cooler enough to count the bricks...and M.Dancer's forum bones continue to bleach in the sun. Seems the tactic works well enough. Losers.

.... Not sure why these Reporting whiners and cry-babies don't just avail themselves of the Ignore feature.

Beats me...the very idea of "reporting" another member for the purpose of moderator sanctions is "foreign" to me. It is a simple matter to ignore some members without ever placing them on Ignore. One famous fellow proudly announced my ignored status only to badger me for attention anyway. From a moderator's viewpoint, the warning > suspension > banned workflow is influenced by the squeakiest wheel.

Pushing even one button can force everyone to jump.

Well, we've both see the inside of the Cooler enough to count the bricks...and M.Dancer's forum bones continue to bleach in the sun. Seems the tactic works well enough. Losers.

I had wondered what happened to M.Dancer, so he was banned? Do you know what for?

I had wondered what happened to M.Dancer, so he was banned? Do you know what for?

Yes, esteemed member and original mocker M. Dancer was banned a while back. He gave his "life" so that others could be free. His spirit lives on in some remaining members (at least until they are banned as well!). ;)

Guest American Woman

Yes, esteemed member and original mocker M. Dancer was banned a while back. He gave his "life" so that others could be free. His spirit lives on in some remaining members (at least until they are banned as well!). ;)

The late, great M.Dancer was known to hit the "report button" himself. May he RIP. B)