The Defacto Official NFL Thead (was 'Tim Tebow WTH?')

Shwa

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He says "I'd like to thank my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ" at the onset of just about every interview I've seen. Then again, so do rappers and country music star when they win awards. If that makes people uncomfortable it isn't Tebow's problem.

Other than that I don't really see him Proselytizing in the MSM unless prompted.

I generally agree with you on this.

The media is a monster that is easily fed.

But feed it Tebow does and while I think most of the blame goes to the media I think he should share some when he makes statements like I have already linked to.

Tebow/the media do not operate in a vacuum - they need each other (and they need people who don't like Tebow and/or don't like religion being shoved down people's throats in the sports pages - which, of course, just leads to more shoving in the sports pages :D ).

Of course, as Tebow feeds it is just allows others to have fun with it such as the SNL skit I posted a while back and the Tosh.O bit that I posted a couple of pages ago.

Then people like Shady take this as being anti-Christian or some such nonsense when it is really just good fun.

And 'round the wheel goes and goes.

The MSM feeds the Tebow monster because it's clearly what people want. Even Lady Gaga tweeted about Tim Tebow.

The reason the Steeler v Broncos game got the best spot of the weekend isn't because the Steelers are the defending AFC Champs. It was because people want to see Tebow. Most thought the game was going to be a blowout. The fact that was a classic just adds more fuel to the Tebow fire.

Tebow is making a lot of people money because he's popular and polarizing. Just like the Yankees and the Patriots. I watch them because I want to see them lose. Advertisers don't distinguish between those things.

The Leafs usually get most of the nation on HNIC because they get the most ratings even if you hate them.

Edited by Boges

....I think he should share some when he makes statements like I have already linked to.

Huh? Take the blame for what? It's not Tebow's problem if you are irked by all the Jesus talk. I mean think about this for a minute...it may seem strange in "atheist" Canada but it is quite common to invoke many varieties of "God" in the United States.

Many players kneel and pray to The Big Guy after each touchdown, and players from both teams meet at the end of the game to pray. Then they pray some more in the locker room, before and after each game. Some even pray on the bus or airplane in transit to and from the game. Pray...pray..pray....thanking The Lord for all their blessings, and another NFL check.

The MSM feeds the Tebow monster because it's clearly what people want. Even Lady Gaga tweeted about Tim Tebow.

Fair enough.

I know I enjoy it. Look at all the pixels we've had from it. :D

The reason the Steeler v Broncos game got the best spot of the weekend isn't because the Steelers are the defending AFC Champs. It was because people want to see Tebow. Most thought the game was going to be a blowout. The fact that was a classic just adds more fuel to the Tebow fire.

I have no idea how many people were watching it compared to the other games.

It was a good game (and much better than I would have expected).

The Leafs usually get most of the nation on HNIC because they get the most ratings even if you hate them.

Don't watch hockey so don't know why anyone would hate them.

Edited by msj

I have also pointed out what his pastor has said and also (in a separate post) what a teammate claims he has said.

Good for them. They're not speaking for Tebow.

Tebowing. Pointing to the sky. Saying the things he has been quoted as saying above and for what a teammate claims (also above).

Pointing to the sky? Are you serious? Many athletes do that.

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic <-- The very first Tebowing, except is should be called Bavaroing! :lol:

Anyways, do you realize how many baseball players make the sign of the cross before they come up to bat? Some of them even kiss their crucifix.

Always making sure to get his religious POV and latest good guy stuff into his interviews (with Peter King, for example).

Complete nonsense. However, I have heard him talking about it WHEN ASKED BY SOMEBODY.

Good for them. They're not speaking for Tebow.

Pointing to the sky? Are you serious? Many athletes do that.

Pic

Pic

Pic

Pic <-- The very first Tebowing, except is should be called Bavaroing! :lol:

Anyways, do you realize how many baseball players make the sign of the cross before they come up to bat? Some of them even kiss their crucifix.

Complete nonsense. However, I have heard him talking about it WHEN ASKED BY SOMEBODY.

:rolleyes:

Yet more pixels spilled over something that I have already answered above.

Earlier we had this exchange...

And this is a great example of why it's dumb to try and associate some kind of greater message with a sports outcome.

This is also a great example of a strawman. I didn't know that anyone was making that kind of connection, other than maybe one or two kooks.

Well, thanks to msj, now you know that two of those people you describe as kooks are Tebow's pastor, and Tebow himself:

It's not luck. Luck isn't winning 6 games in a row. It's favour. God's favour.

-Pastor Wayne Hanson

Tebow came to me and said, 'Don't worry about a thing,' because God has spoken to him.

-Broncos DB Wesley Woodyard

And now, thanks to the dozens of mainstream media articles, and millions of tweets and facebook posts mentioning John 3:16 in reference to Sunday's game, you know that it's not just one or two kooks thinking there's a greater message, but legions of them. Legions of, as you put it, kooks.

-k

I think the way the team has rallied around Tebow as opposed to say, Kyle Orton shows that he's likely not seen by his teammates as some religious freak.

The one instance given really doesn't prove he's always telling people on his team what they should do because he has a wifi connection to God's wishes.

The one instance given really doesn't prove he's always telling people on his team what they should do because he has a wifi connection to God's wishes.

The context wasn't "Tebow is telling people what to do."

The context was, I said it's stupid for people to associate a greater message with sports outcomes, and Shady said "but nobody is doing that, except maybe one or two kooks."

Looking at the nonsense that has followed after Tebow passed for 316 yards, I think it's become clear that Shady has vastly underestimated the number of kooks.

-k

The context was, I said it's stupid for people to associate a greater message with sports outcomes, and Shady said "but nobody is doing that, except maybe one or two kooks."

Looking at the nonsense that has followed after Tebow passed for 316 yards, I think it's become clear that Shady has vastly underestimated the number of kooks.

-k

316 yards

31.6 average yards per pass

31.6 ratings at the game's height

It has to be Jesus :rolleyes:

People are just having fun with this. The vast majority of people don't really believe God is pulling the strings on the game. But the storyline is no-less compelling. He continually has miraculous wins, then plays absolutely horrible the last two games of the season. When no one thinks he's worth anything, he does that to the #1 pass defense in the league.

Christian element or not, it's a fascinating story.

Edited by Boges

-k

Ok, there might be 12, or 15. Who cares?

People are just having fun with this....

....Christian element or not, it's a fascinating story.

Agreed...what's the big deal? Are the "atheists" so paranoid that they need to give Tebow Time a thorough beat down at every turn? The NFL Network had fun with it when calling the Steeler's last play in regulation time a "Hail Mary", then correcting himself that such a thing would not be allowed against Tim Tebow. I guess that means no Immaculate Receptions either a la Franco Harris.

Agreed...what's the big deal? Are the "atheists" so paranoid that they need to give Tebow Time a thorough beat down at every turn? The NFL Network had fun with it when calling the Steeler's last play in regulation time a "Hail Mary", then correcting himself that such a thing would not be allowed against Tim Tebow. I guess that means no Immaculate Receptions either a la Franco Harris.

Exactly. I've seen a lot of people have fun with it. Like the panel on CBS. I just don't understand why some people get so bent out of shape, and obsessed with Tebow's religion. Especially when Tebow has never told anyone what to believe, or what to think. It's all very puzzling. I guess they're just gonna have to learn to deal with it. Denver will probably lose, the season will end, and life will go on. :rolleyes:

.... Denver will probably lose, the season will end, and life will go on. :rolleyes:

Right...the immutable laws of the NFL haven't changed. Denver will most likely lose against the Patriots, just as they already did. But if they win, this thing gets a lot bigger than it already is, and the atheists will have to hide in the closet!

Right...the immutable laws of the NFL haven't changed. Denver will most likely lose against the Patriots, just as they already did. But if they win, this thing gets a lot bigger than it already is, and the atheists will have to hide in the closet!

Like they were supposed to lose to Pittsburgh?

Like they were supposed to lose to Pittsburgh?

Not at home with an injured opposing QB.

So, it begs the obvious question for pundits as the Steelers prepare to visit the Denver Broncos on Sunday night in an AFC wild card matchup: Is Roethlisberger more effective on one leg than Tim Tebow is on two?

Not at home with an injured opposing QB.

So, it begs the obvious question for pundits as the Steelers prepare to visit the Denver Broncos on Sunday night in an AFC wild card matchup: Is Roethlisberger more effective on one leg than Tim Tebow is on two?

Exactly. Plus the Steelers were missing their starting RB.

Big Ben had a very weak first half but in the second half (We all assume he got a shot in his ankle) he looked fine, that's why the game went to OT. Ike Redman played well in replacement of Mendenhall.

A big problem for the Steelers was the fact one of their starting safeties, Ryan Clarke, was taken out of the game because of a Sickle Cell problem that would be made worse in the Denver air.

As for New England they have one of the worst defenses in the league.

In the first game Denver started very well then kinda beat themselves with 3 fumbles in the second quarter. Can't give Tom Brady that many chances.

I think Tebow isn't really the question mark in this game. The Denver defense is the question mark. Can Elvis Dumerville and Von Miller get consistent pressure on the Golden Boy? Can they contain the Pats two amazing Tight Ends and Wes Welker at the same time.

Last two weeks of the season the Patriots spotted both the Dolphins and the Bills large leads before coming back. They can certainly be beaten. Mark Sanchez's Jets (look what everyone thinks of him today) beat the Pats at home last year.

Edited by Boges

Others have certainly said it. Including his pastor.

Oh, and Tebow has also stated things like "f you believe then unbelievable things can sometimes be possible."

Which certainly does suggest such a thing.

Heck... even if you don't believe "unbelievable things can sometimes be possible" (emphasis mine). :lol: Edited by cybercoma

• 2 months later...

So with the Broncos signing Peyton Manning, Tim Tebow has been Traded to the New York Jets for a 4th and 6th round pick.

As a Dolphins fan I'm sworn to hate the Jets so I can't support this guy anymore. :unsure:

Dolphins fan...

Sorry 'bout your luck...

Were you alive the last time Miami won a Super Bowl??

(sorry...Had to go there)

I'm not certain Tebow is an upgrade over Mark Sanchez,although I suppose,Tebow might be a little more mobile...

And for Manning to go to Denver...Well,he's going to make alot of mediocre receivers very rich...

Dolphins fan...

Sorry 'bout your luck...

Were you alive the last time Miami won a Super Bowl??

(sorry...Had to go there)

I'm not certain Tebow is an upgrade over Mark Sanchez,although I suppose,Tebow might be a little more mobile...

And for Manning to go to Denver...Well,he's going to make alot of mediocre receivers very rich...

No I wasn't alive when they won the Super Bowl. I became a fan during the Marino years.

The theory with this move is that the Jets hired Tony Sporano as OC. He started out the whole Wildcat craze for the Dolphins in 2008. No better Wildcat back than Tim Tebow.

Then again Sanchize was horrible last year and they gave him an extension. :lol: