The Defacto Official NFL Thead (was 'Tim Tebow WTH?')

Shwa

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football is too slow. The play itself can be entertaining but I find the games tedious. It takes over 3 hours to play a 60 minute NFL game and two hours to play a 80 minute rugby game.

Football is a series of small plays that all contribute to a result. Each play is informed by the previous play. It's the ultimate strategy sport. It takes Rugby separation from Soccer one step further. American Football is certainly not slow if you understand the sport and can anticipate the strategy a team might use.

Football is a series of small plays that all contribute to a result. Each play is informed by the previous play. It's the ultimate strategy sport. It takes Rugby separation from Soccer one step further. American Football is certainly not slow if you understand the sport and can anticipate the strategy a team might use.

I understand football and even played it some but for me it lost much of its appeal over the years. Every game has strategy. With some it has to evolve as the play is in progress and others have to take a break and think about it. Football takes too many breaks and has become too specialized. There is no such thing as a two way player anymore. Hasn't been for decades.

I understand football and even played it some but for me it lost much of its appeal over the years. Every game has strategy. With some it has to evolve as the play is in progress and others have to take a break and think about it. Football takes too many breaks and has become too specialized. There is no such thing as a two way player anymore. Hasn't been for decades.

It's funny because that can be said about Baseball too. In the USA a sport like baseball is rapidly losing it's popularity amongst younger people. It's by far the most popular sport in North America.

Now I can level the criticism of sports like Hockey and Soccer that even though it flows well, a good majority of the sport is nothing more than movement and often resulting in little that contributes to the final result of the game.

Each play in Football has an obvious winner and loser and you have to combine successful players to score points.

To each their own. I like lots of sports, but I tend to enjoy the more strategic American Football and Baseball more. Then I also like Basketball where it's a flowing sport but does have lots of scoring. Hockey and Soccer are alright but unless I have a rooting interest, I just can't keep my interest in them.

It's funny because that can be said about Baseball too. In the USA a sport like baseball is rapidly losing it's popularity amongst younger people. It's by far the most popular sport in North America.

Now I can level the criticism of sports like Hockey and Soccer that even though it flows well, a good majority of the sport is nothing more than movement and often resulting in little that contributes to the final result of the game.

Each play in Football has an obvious winner and loser and you have to combine successful players to score points.

To each their own. I like lots of sports, but I tend to enjoy the more strategic American Football and Baseball more. Then I also like Basketball where it's a flowing sport but does have lots of scoring. Hockey and Soccer are alright but unless I have a rooting interest, I just can't keep my interest in them.

I find baseball too slow as well but at least the players bat as well as field.

Play in every sport is intended to end with a scoring opportunity, even if it seems like nothing more than movement to you.

Bengals! Patriots! Panthers! Still undefeated!

Aqib Talib! Eye gouge! Gutless!

Dirty hit on Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater! Gutless!!

Lions didn't lose this week! Lions had a bye this week!

Boges! Your thoughts!!!

-kimmy!

Edited by kimmy

TBH, when my team is bad, I largely ignore the NFL.

Panthers are the shocker here though. I guess the Packers and Aaron Rodgers isn't the best QB in the league afterall. Being in the otherwise awful NFC South means they have a really good shot at going undefeated. We could see multiple undefeated teams going to the playoffs.

72 Dolphins should be worried.

Bengals! Drop the ball! Just two undefeated teams left!

Packers! Lose to Detroit! Packers lose three straight! What! Is! Wrong! In! Wisconsin!?!?

Vikings! Are! On! A! Roll!

I'm typing like this so that you can imagine Chris! Berman! In! Your! Head! as you read.

-k

Bengals! Drop the ball! Just two undefeated teams left!

Packers! Lose to Detroit! Packers lose three straight! What! Is! Wrong! In! Wisconsin!?!?

Vikings! Are! On! A! Roll!

I'm typing like this so that you can imagine Chris! Berman! In! Your! Head! as you read.

Funny, I was actually questioning the flagrant use of exclamation marks as I read through. My Giants contributed to the fact that there are two undefeated teams remaining. I expected them to get blown out, but they gave me hope and then snuffed it out. Cruel bastards!

Are you a Vikes fan? If so....why?

Not really a big Vikings fan, although my grandparents were Minnesota Swedes, so I kind of culturally identify with both Minnesota as well as Vikings.

I just thought it was worth mentioning that they're the hottest team in the league aside from the Pats and Panthers.

-k

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Peyton's backup beat the undefeated Cheatriots.

Anyway back to the OP.

EFFF Tim Tebow!!!

http://dailysnark.com/tim-tebow-dumped-miss-universe-wouldnt-sex/

Tim Tebow had an NFL career, then lost it, he tried once again and failed. Not on an NFL field anymore, Tebow is still taking losses. This time, his virginity has lost him former Miss Universe, Olivia Culpo.

Olivia Culpo, the 2012 Miss USA and Miss Universe, allegedly dumped former NFL quarterback because of his unwillingness to have sex with her, according to New York Daily News gossip site “Confidenti@l.”

She dodged a bullet. There's a saying among guys that "you don't stick your dick in crazy." Among ladies, it goes double that "you don't let crazy stick its dick in you."

Meanwhile!

Pats! LOSE! Gronk! INJURED! Panthers! UNSTOPPABLE! Panthers! Could! Go! All! The! Way!

Cards! ROLLING! Chiefs! ROLLING! Texans! ROLLING! Lions! ROLLING! Wait, what? Lions? Rolling? That's kinda weird...

Falcons! NOT ROLLING! 49ers! NOT ROLLING! Browns! NOT ROLLING! Browns! SUCK! Titans! SUCK!

-k

• 1 month later...

Great football game in Cincinnati yesterday, marred by a couple of really ugly incidents.

The first was a helmet-to-helmet hit on Bengals RB Giovanni Bernard that knocked him out and almost caused an on-field brawl between the two teams, as well as garbage being thrown onto the field.

That seemed to energize the Bengals, particularly defensive lineman Vontaze Burfict, who was ballistic with anger. Burfict channeled his rage into Hulk-like strength and sacked Steelers QB Big Ben Rapistburger on the next series. Rapistburger's shoulder was injured on the tackle and he had to leave the game. The Bengals erased a 15 point deficit and took a 1 point lead.

The second was a flagrant, head-hunter type cheap-shot to Steelers receiver Antonio Brown-- by the rageoholic Burfict-- that caused him to fall down like a rag doll. The penalty yards for the cheap-shot, and a second call against a Bengal player who got in the face of the referee during the resulting scrum, moved the Steelers into range for a last-second field goal to win the game.

Congratulations, Bengals, you had the game won and lost it by being stupid.

Congratulations, Broncos, you get a matchup against a team that will be be seriously battered.

In other action... Congratulations, Patriots. Your reward for finishing 1st in the AFC is... a matchup against a team that has won 12 straight games. Lucky you! The Chiefs look very strong.

-k

1) although I agree with your term for the QB of Pittsburgh I don't think it is appropriate to use that term.

2) the Pats backed into the #2 seed rather than the #1 seed. A trend that is partially counter the Chiefs trend so we will see.

Really we're being that PC? That's a common nickname for Ben.

That fumble was unforgivable. The. Second penalty was debatable as the Steelers had a coach on the field. How's that not a penalty?

Edited by Boges

Really we're being that PC? That's a common nickname for Ben.

That fumble was unforgivable. The. Second penalty was debatable as the Steelers had a coach on the field. How's that not a penalty?

I gather that Joey Porter could receive league disciplinary action for being on the field, but I don't know if that's something they can issue yards for.

I thought that it was an epic football game, one of the most intense I've ever seen... but the ugly ending ruined my enjoyment of it.

-k

I gather that Joey Porter could receive league disciplinary action for being on the field, but I don't know if that's something they can issue yards for.

I thought that it was an epic football game, one of the most intense I've ever seen... but the ugly ending ruined my enjoyment of it.

-k

Most of the game was boring though. It was the ugly ending that made it memorable.

It is against the rules and Kimmy is a forum facilitator so she is being held to those standards as she should be.

With great power comes great responsibility and all that.

My personal feeling is that the sports and entertainment threads are held to a lower standard than threads on more serious topics... I think that they're intended to be fun, flippant, and should be allowed to have some amount of banter. If people are upset by that, I can go back and edit it, but I don't really want to. I don't want these threads to turn into No Fun 'Llowed threads.

-k

I'm sure he'll be ok. He said there were no guns allowed at the stadium.

This has been a wacky Wildcard Weekend so far. With powerful teams like Seattle and Kansas City getting off to slow starts this season, division winners like Cincinnati having key injuries, and teams from weak divisions like Houston and Washington getting to host strong opponents, it has been a rough week for home teams. Can Washington keep the home teams from being swept? I kind of doubt it. I bet the Vikings would have rather played the Redskins than the Seahawks.

-k

Wild finish in Arizona! And unlike the Steelers-Bengals game, it was the good kind of wild finish!

With no time left on the clock, Aaron Rodgers is trying to scramble away from Cardinals tacklers, and spins and throws a perfect "Hail Mary" pass into the endzone... which is caught! For a game-tying touchdown!

On the very first drive in overtime, Cardinals veteran Larry Fitzgerald catches a short pass and runs all the way to the Packers 4 yard line, then scores the game winning touchdown on a shovel pass from the backfield 2 plays later. Rodgers didn't get a chance to answer back, because that's how NFL overtime works. I don't understand why a TD on the opening drive is immediately lights out, while teams get a chance to answer back to other scores. But, that's the rules.

Even though they lost the game, the incredible play by Rodgers to throw the game-tying pass is probably going to be talked about in years to come. Probably few quarterbacks in history have both the scrambling ability to evade tackles, as well as the throwing ability to make that pass while on the run.

I only saw some of the first half in the other game, but damn, the Patriots looked good. Tom Brady may be a big fat cheater, but wow he is good.

-k