Occupy Christmas

Boges

http://www.thespec.com/news/world/article/629532--occupy-christmas-targets-santa

The yurts are barely dismantled and the tents only just rolled up, but there is already a new movement on the horizon — Occupy Christmas.

Canadian magazine Adbusters — which prompted the Occupy Wall Street camp and subsequent set-ups around North America, including Toronto’s St. James Park — has put out a call for another round of capitalism-disturbing.

This time, the target is the gift-giving season.

“Christmas has been hijacked for us,” said Kalle Lasn, editor-in-chief at Adbusters, a non-profit, Vancouver-based alternative magazine. “It’s become this ugly, soulless, consumer-fest.”

The ideas for Occupy Christmas, which Lasn likens to “shenanigans,” include:

•a Santa sit-in, whereby protesters sit outside a store and encourage people to cut up their credit cards;

•a Jesus walk, where people put on a mask in the Holy Son’s likeness and walk through malls, to create an eerie sentiment;

•a “whirly mart,” in which would-be shoppers fill their carts with products but abandon them at the cash register.

If I saw anyone do any of these things I'd want to punch them in the face more than I'd be sympathetic to whatever cause they're advocating.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I saw anyone do any of these things I'd want to punch them in the face more than I'd be sympathetic to whatever cause they're advocating.

You should thank them, though, as they're highlighting the real war on Christmas. It has less to do with religion, family and peace than it does to do with spending, debt and consumerism.

Materialism is a meaningless end, and with the effective death of religion and Communism there's a spiritual void that needs to be filled in opposing it.

http://www.thespec.com/news/world/article/629532--occupy-christmas-targets-santa\

Such a violent reaction to what is done without any violence whatsoever. No doubt because it directly threatens your comfortable world view. As for me, I'm all for it. Anti-capitalism is becoming a popular movement now. We're here... get used to it.

Such a violent reaction to what is done without any violence whatsoever. No doubt because it directly threatens your comfortable world view. As for me, I'm all for it. Anti-capitalism is becoming a popular movement now. We're here... get used to it.

So pulling a douche move like checking out a shopping cart full of stuff and just walking away highlights the excesses of consumerism how exactly?

So pulling a douche move like checking out a shopping cart full of stuff and just walking away highlights the excesses of consumerism how exactly?

Ostensibly it adds headaches for the store, but how that would send a clear message to anyone is beyond me. In any case, that wouldn't affect you so much so why do you care ?

It annoys the hell out of the base materialist, so much that they become violent. I think your response was completely honest, and it demonstrates the mental illness that our society has developed through years of indoctrinating people into mindless consumerism, to make them forget about humanity's higher nature.

But the children standing in line will ask, Mommy why they do that? And Mommy will snarl and say some hateful things, at Christmas time. But the young ones won't be satisfied with her angry response. Their minds are not corrupt yet. They will inquire further, on their own, and come to know the truth.

Jesus is coming back

Ostensibly it adds headaches for the store, but how that would send a clear message to anyone is beyond me. In any case, that wouldn't affect you so much so why do you care ?

It would if I was inline behind the moron.

Christmas shopping can be stressful. People do it because they like Christmas. If you don't want to partake you don't have to. But having these people doing stuff like this to make it more stressful for people.

And they clearly aren't thinking of the economy because many people's year is made or broken from the Holiday Season.

Why do you think it's called Black Friday?

Edited by Boges

Why ? I would think that you'd be glad to not have to wait for them to check through as you would have expected.

And they clearly aren't thinking of the economy because many people's year is made or broken from the Holiday Season.

That pretty much nails it. Christmas is now about "thinking of the economy".

"Let's all gather around the economy tree and sing economy carols, as the beautiful manger scene shows the 3 wise men Hayek, Friedman and Ron Paul gathered around the cradle of little baby economy."

So much for life, family and things that are important...

Why do you think it's called Black Friday?

Etymology of the term:

In 1966, the Philadelphia police hated the first day of the holiday shopping season because of the massive traffic jams it caused and the packed sidewalks. Also, presumably because they wished they could be off from work like everyone else. Frazzled retail workers and exhausted shoppers were more than willing to accept the term.

The red ink/black ink explanation was never heard of until the early 1980s.

Christmas shopping can be stressful. People do it because they like Christmas.

You know I doubt that, given the depression, stress, anxiety and all that associated with the holiday. People like the idea of Christmas, but never seem to realize that all the shit that we're told to do to make Christmas jolly actually detracts from the real enjoyment of the season.

You know I doubt that, given the depression, stress, anxiety and all that associated with the holiday. People like the idea of Christmas, but never seem to realize that all the shit that we're told to do to make Christmas jolly actually detracts from the real enjoyment of the season.

The anxiety and depression are caused when people don't have family and friends to share the season with.

I'll acknowledge that buying stuff for people that could easily buy those products for themselves isn't always needed. But it's no less enjoyable to see someone you love happy with the material possession you purchased for them.

The anxiety and depression are caused when people don't have family and friends to share the season with.

I'm sure the crush of crowds in airless malls, the pressure of buying just the right gift and the groaning burden of credit card debt all play a part.

I'll acknowledge that buying stuff for people that could easily buy those products for themselves isn't always needed. But it's no less enjoyable to see someone you love happy with the material possession you purchased for them.

The point is it's gotten out of hand. As symbols of the decline of America go, Christmas is pretty powerful as people go into debt to buy shit from China, where all the real jobs went, leaving behind little but opportunities in retail where you can sell people made-in-China shit they don't need.

Most of it is bought with credit. Credit which most people should not have because they cannot pay it back. Not sure if you been paying attention to what is going on in the economy in the last year, but if you had, you'd have already answered your own question.

I plan to purchase a couple items for family members. The difference is I don't need to use my credit card. Those who buy it on credit, now have to face the crunch after the holidays of paying it all off.

And don't forget this year, that the malls are tracking your cell phones for 'marketing purposes'.

Jesus was a revolutionary.

Honour his memory.

Overturn the tables of the moneychangers.

BOYCOTT CREDIT! :)

If you can't pay cash, DON'T BUY IT!

Teach your kids not to become slaves to credit.

Teach them to AVOID THE CREDIT TRAP!

The banks don't make the economy move ... PEOPLE DO.

Remind the banks ... They exist to serve us!

TAKE BACK YOUR POWER FROM THE BANKS.

TAKE BACK THE TRUE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS.

BOYCOTT CREDIT THIS CHRISTMAS!

BOYCOTT CREDIT THIS CHRISTMAS!

Now there's a sensible advice. Of course people should be allowed to buy and exchange presents, if they really want to. But encourage people to avoid putting themselves into unmanageable debt, which is potentially harming us. That message makes good sense, any time of year!

Years ago when I worked in retail, people would do this all the time when lineups got too long.

It's a douchebag thing to do intentionally though because all that will come of it is the company forcing employees to stay late to put things away. Places like Walmart will tacitly expect people to punch out and continue shelving. Otherwise, if one's shift is over and they punch out at their scheduled time and go home, they won't hear the end of it the next day. This sort of action does nothing but wage war on the working class that Adbusters is trying to "free".

It highlights the idiocy of this generation that people have to be warned against buying things they can't afford.

People use credit cards for many reasons.

- You can automatically pay bills with them.

- You get rewards for using them.

- It gives you use 2 weeks to a month to pay for something interest free.

Nothing wrong with any of those things.

Christmas shopping can be stressful.

haha listen to yourself.... it is so stressful that if anyone causes you 5 minutes of angst, you want to punch them in the face... but you love Xmas! :blink: Xmas is as stressful as you make it...

Xmas, for me, is a stress free time where I take time away from work and spend it with family and friends... we go fishing... we have beach fires and cookouts... it's the most wonderful tiiiime of the year! And I don't step foot in a mall... not because I might turn violent... but cuz I don't like crowds and line-ups to buy some Chinese-made crap.

I wonder how much the Chinese economy depends on Xmas in North America....?

You people that get so stressed that you want to punch someone are nuts! :P

haha listen to yourself.... it is so stressful that if anyone causes you 5 minutes of angst, you want to punch them in the face... but you love Xmas! :blink: Xmas is as stressful as you make it...

Xmas, for me, is a stress free time where I take time away from work and spend it with family and friends... we go fishing... we have beach fires and cookouts... it's the most wonderful tiiiime of the year! And I don't step foot in a mall... not because I might turn violent... but cuz I don't like crowds and line-ups to buy some Chinese-made crap.

I wonder how much the Chinese economy depends on Xmas in North America....?

You people that get so stressed that you want to punch someone are nuts! :P

Actually it is a wonderful time. You're right I probably wouldn't punch a person in the face for doing something so foolish as pretend to buy something to stick it to the man.

But what exactly is doing something so foolish trying to prove?

I would add ...

BOYCOTT BIG BOX, BIG CHAIN STORES.

SHOP IN CASH ONLY ... AND SHOP LOCAL STORES ONLY!!!! :)

Jesus WAS a revolutionary.

Jesus IS an occupier in spirit.

Honour His spirit.

Honour the season.

Frustrate the big moneytakers.

Shop local.

:)

Edited by jacee

Actually it is a wonderful time. You're right I probably wouldn't punch a person in the face for doing something so foolish as pretend to buy something to stick it to the man.

But what exactly is doing something so foolish trying to prove?

I like the idea of protesting the consumerism of Xmas. I agree with MH... the war on Xmas is not from atheists like me... it is from people who think Xmas is about buy-buy-BUY... these people actually get nastier at Xmas... it's bonkers.

Edited by The_Squid

I would add ...

BOYCOTT BIG BOX, BIG CHAIN STORES.

No...I will be going tonight at Midnight.

SHOP IN CASH ONLY ... AND SHOP LOCAL STORES ONLY!!!! :)

No...cash only is for drug dealers.

Jesus WAS a revolutionary.

Jesus IS an occupier in spirit.

Honour His spirit.

Honour the season.

Frustrate the big moneytakers.

Shop local.

Jesus was crucified...locally.