Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

First part correct, second part not correct.

See above, didnt watch when they were in it, didnt watch when they weren't in it.

And the NHL brass counts on the second part to grow the brand.

Two eyeballs a day ?

Anyway, Gawd Bless the Leafs and their march to glory.

The only thing they are guaranteed to do is to get written up in every paper in the country whether they win lose fail compete, trip over themselves.

But there is no march to glory for them in the short term.

But ya know......once Babcock signs on all bets are off . ^_^:D;)

Edited by Guyser2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shanahan has certainly made bizarre moves. Firing the coach after 40 games when you just signed him to a 2 year contract extension is just the latest strange move.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/06/toronto-maple-leafs-president-brendan-shanahan-forging-odd-new-path-en-route-to-rebuilding-team/

Shanahan has certainly made bizarre moves. Firing the coach after 40 games when you just signed him to a 2 year contract extension is just the latest strange move.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/06/toronto-maple-leafs-president-brendan-shanahan-forging-odd-new-path-en-route-to-rebuilding-team/

See heres the thing

Bizarre? Really? I dont quite see it that way. Lots of coaches are signed and then let go mid season. Look at Torts in Van. There are others in sport.

The extension came soon after Shanny came aboard. My guess is the ext was in the works before he came on. So maybe he said ok, but I want these guys hired in case this ship runs aground (and boy has it)

Then you have uber discussions in Late Oct and into Nov and Dec when its obvious this team will be middle of pack ...or worse...or slightly better than both.

So the team (Shanny et al) look around and find there isnt anyone they really want, except Babcock. (remember Babcocks name was out there a long time ago, maybe wishful Leaf and centre of Canada thinking ;) but it was out there)

So, time goes by, folks realize that Babcock hasnt signed on so now......the wheels start turning.

Maybe....ok lets rid ourselves of Carlyle, put onus on players (thats happening now) see what grit they have, make some moves, and hopefully present Babcock with an improved team and hope he signs up.

All spec I grant you. But it appears to me to make 'some' sense.

See heres the thingBizarre? Really? I dont quite see it that way. Lots of coaches are signed and then let go mid season. Look at Torts in Van. There are others in sport.The extension came soon after Shanny came aboard. My guess is the ext was in the works before he came on. So maybe he said ok, but I want these guys hired in case this ship runs aground (and boy has it)Then you have uber discussions in Late Oct and into Nov and Dec when its obvious this team will be middle of pack ...or worse...or slightly better than both.So the team (Shanny et al) look around and find there isnt anyone they really want, except Babcock. (remember Babcocks name was out there a long time ago, maybe wishful Leaf and centre of Canada thinking ;) but it was out there)So, time goes by, folks realize that Babcock hasnt signed on so now......the wheels start turning.Maybe....ok lets rid ourselves of Carlyle, put onus on players (thats happening now) see what grit they have, make some moves, and hopefully present Babcock with an improved team and hope he signs up.All spec I grant you. But it appears to me to make 'some' sense.

Torts in Vancouver is a very bad example... since the entire affair was bizarre... from the terribe GM hiring to the terribe coach firing and even to the hiring of Linden as President... The Canucks were (are) a mess. If you think that's normal, then what's going on in Toronto is just another day in the life of the Leafs...

I think it's great.... the Leafs have gone from useless to downright bizarre!

So is Ralph Krueger.

Tom Renney

Craig MacTavish

Pat Qu....

never mind.

Actually, Ralph Kruger isn't available. Since leaving the Oilers, he has moved on to work as an executive with Southampton FC in the English Premier League. I don't follow English soccer, but from what I read, Southampton is a small-budget team that competes at the top of the league by using smart scouting, player development, advanced analysis, and cutting-edge sports medicine. In other words, they sound like the exact opposite of the Oilers.

Meanwhile, the Oilers are playing great now that Dallas Eakins is gone! I remember all those TSN guys saying how sad they were for Eakins and how he never had a chance, with such a crappy roster, and Scotty Bowman couldn't win with that team and so-on. But it looks like Dallas Eakins was a big part of the problem.

-k

Actually, Ralph Kruger isn't available. Since leaving the Oilers, he has moved on to work as an executive with Southampton FC in the English Premier League. I don't follow English soccer, but from what I read, Southampton is a small-budget team that competes at the top of the league by using smart scouting, player development, advanced analysis, and cutting-edge sports medicine. In other words, they sound like the exact opposite of the Oilers.

Meanwhile, the Oilers are playing great now that Dallas Eakins is gone! I remember all those TSN guys saying how sad they were for Eakins and how he never had a chance, with such a crappy roster, and Scotty Bowman couldn't win with that team and so-on. But it looks like Dallas Eakins was a big part of the problem.

-k

My post was purely sarcastic. Renney has a dream job now, you couldn't pry him out of it.

Kreuger would be back in a heartbeat if he could get another head coach gig in the NHL. The soccer thing is an aberration from his lifetime behind a bench. He is a smart guy though and would not come back to Edmonton.

Don't be sucked in by the Oilers getting a few points.

Coming soon to a rink near you: the departure of Petry and probably Schultz.

More bold moves.

• 2 weeks later...

After the last Leaf debacle, fans threw 4 Leaf Jerseys on the ice in disgust. For this act, three fans were charged by police with "public mischief" and 4 fans have been barred from Leaf games for one year.

Not sure that this is good for public relations.

When fans toss head wear on the ice after a hat trick they are cheered.

Next thing you know they will be barring and charging people for throwing of an octopus on the ice.

Where is the justice!!!!

Lol, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Clarkson was one of the heaviest pursued free agents because he's a good scorer, and physical presence. He's a version of Milan Lucic on Boston. Even with his signing, at a modest 5 million per season, the Leafs are way below the cap, and will be for a long time. Next year, they have Darcy Tucker and Colby Armstrong coming off the salary cap books as well. Which will free up even more money. Stick to the lousy Winnipeg Jets. Because when it comes to the Leafs, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Looking back at my comments about the Leafs signing Clarkson in free agency, it looks like I certainly knew what I was talking about. He's scored 14 goals since then! :lol:

Looking back at my comments about the Leafs signing Clarkson in free agency, it looks like I certainly knew what I was talking about. He's scored 14 goals since then! :lol:

True, but he's doesn't play on the powerplay and doesn't play on the first two lines like he did with New Jersey. So his goal production would drop regardless. But Clarkson is far from the Leafs problems. If every player played with the same effort as he does, they'd certainly have a better record and be much more consistent. I see that you fail to mention your Jets would be the Leafs in the playoffs from a couple of years ago, but the Jets didn't make it. I guess you didn't know what you were talking about that huh?

Btw, Randy Carlyle is a class act. He held an improptu press conference at his home last week. He could have easily went negative regarding some of the players he had problems with, the press tried to steer him in that direction. But he stayed on the high road. It was pretty impressive.

True, but he's doesn't play on the powerplay...

You just make stuff up...

Clarkson is 5th for powerplay time for forwards on the Leafs. So he gets plenty of PP time on the 2nd unit.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152TORSASALL&sort=powerPlayTimeOnIce&viewName=timeOnIce

Edited by The_Squid

I see that you fail to mention your Jets would be the Leafs in the playoffs from a couple of years ago, but the Jets didn't make it. I guess you didn't know what you were talking about that huh?

I don't recall saying the Jets would be the Leafs. That doesn't even make any sense.

But if you want predictions to hold me to in future years, the Jets are certainly the next Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup. And they'll do it before the Leafs even make the playoffs again. :)

I don't recall saying the Jets would be the Leafs. That doesn't even make any sense.

But if you want predictions to hold me to in future years, the Jets are certainly the next Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup. And they'll do it before the Leafs even make the playoffs again. :)

Yikes....thats one bold statement for sure.

I'd go with Van or Mtl before any of them . Both have the goaltending that none of the others up here have.

Shady, as much as I am Leafs guy, Clarkson has been a bust. i'd bet in a candid moment Clarkson would nod in agreement.

Yikes....thats one bold statement for sure.

I'd go with Van or Mtl before any of them . Both have the goaltending that none of the others up here have.

Shady, as much as I am Leafs guy, Clarkson has been a bust. i'd bet in a candid moment Clarkson would nod in agreement.

I tend to agree. But you can't compare him when he played first line, and first powerplay in New Jersey, to third line, and occasional powerplay. He's just not going to put up the same numbers. It's impossible. He's not as talented to crack the top 6 forwards in Toronto, where in New Jersey he was almost all they had. That being said, I'd like him a lot at around 3-4 mil a year instead of 5. At least it stays at 5 for the remainder of the contract, and doesn't increase. So as the cap goes up, it becomes less of a hit.

Oh you said it. It's ok though, sports is always hard to predict. That's why its fun to watch.

If they make the playoffs, then they cant break any hearts. Getting in is the goal.

Winning a championship is the goal. The Leafs have gone nearly a half century since they were even in a final, much less won it, so you are forgiven if you've forgotten the purpose of playing.

Winning a championship is the goal. The Leafs have gone nearly a half century since they were even in a final, much less won it, so you are forgiven if you've forgotten the purpose of playing.

LOL, I havent forgotten a thing.

Its the goal of every team.

Only a few teams have any chance of winning the Cup, the rest compete and see what they can do. The Leafs are no different.

The teams strive for a championship, but most honestly dont think theyll get even close. Wont admit that , it upsets the patrons.

They have the current (and all time record) for years since making an NHL championship game.

The Chicago Cubs and Detroit Lions are the only major league teams that have longer droughts in that regard, over a half-century each. The NBA situation is more complicated as you're going back to the early days (Rochester Royals ?)

"Defeat falls heavily on their shoulders" ... seriously ?

I'd rather them just tank and get a top 3 pick than do that.

There's no way with half a season left that the Leafs could tank hard enough to catch Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona and Carolina in the Dishonour for Conor/Back of the Pack for Jack/Not Winnin' for Hanifin sweepstakes.

They're gonna lurk around the fringes of the last wild card spot, get a middling pick, make some cosmetic changes next year and repeat the same thing all over again.

Edited by Black Dog

There's no way with half a season left that the Leafs could tank hard enough to catch Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona and Carolina in the Dishonour for Conor/Back of the Pack for Jack/Not Winnin' for Hanifin sweepstakes.

They're gonna lurk around the fringes of the last wild card spot, get a middling pick, make some cosmetic changes next year and repeat the same thing all over again.

You're probably right about the draft pick position. However, I don't expect Shanahan to just make cosmetic changes and tolerate the same thing all over again. He doesn't seem like that kind of person, especially having spent all those years with the Red Wings, and then in the NHL front office. The moves he made in the leafs management and office last summer were excellent moves, and should start to pay dividends going further.