Dick Cheney's new memoir

Oh boy! You may have seen ol' Dick making the media rounds this past week promoting his newly released memoir. I'm going to buy a copy for all my relatives this year for Christmas, it'll make for a warm cozy read with the family around the fireplace.

Here's Dick on The Today Show this week: Dick!

Defending the use of torture/waterboarding in the interview, Dick says: "First of all, remember we weren't dealing with American citizens."

After hearing this quote, a colleague of mine put it aptly: "That line says it all right there. Violence can only flow in one direction - down the hierarchy of perceived worth."

Edited by Moonlight Graham

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

Oh boy! You may have seen ol' Dick making the media rounds this past week promoting his newly released memoirs. I'm going to buy a copy for all my relatives this year for Christmas, it'll make for a warm cozy read with the family around the fireplace!

Here's Dick on The Today Show this week: Dick!

Defending the use of torture/waterboarding in the interview, Dick says: "First of all, remember we weren't dealing with American citizens."

After hearing this quote, a colleague of mine put it aptly: "That line says it all right there. Violence can only flow in one direction - down the hierarchy of perceived worth."

I watched his interview on Hannity Tuesday (about to watch a Q&A with him on Hannity now) and felt it was a good interview…….The guy is defiantly not running for a popularity contest (I don’t think he care what people think about him) and said his deepest regret was accidentally shooting his friend quail hunting……I guess he’s called out both Powell and now Rice in his book….looking forward to reading it….

Watching the Factor right now, O’Reily mentioned that Cheney has refused to be a guest on the show…..I wondering who that says more about, Cheney or Bill……

I've always liked Darth Vader.....

Guest American Woman

I listened to the interview, and I don't think it's a matter of "perceived worth," but a matter of known guilt in Cheney's mind. He makes a point of saying it only happened to a few people, such as Khalid Mohammad, who was "the self-admitted mastermind of 9/11." In other words, guilty people - not 'people who are worth less because they aren't Americans.'

From the transcript:

...it was people like Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, there were a handful, two or three, for example, that actually got waterboarded.

When you're dealing with Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, for example, a man who was the self-admitted mastermind of 9/11, killed 3,000 Americans. And at a time when we had very little knowledge and understanding about Al Qaeda and what they were doing. And after we'd gone through a lot of other procedures and interrogation efforts, then at the end of that process, he was subjected to the program. It was very carefully supervised. None of the techniques used were things that we hadn't already used on our own people in training.

That's not to say I agree with the use of waterboarding, just that I don't think it's about non-Americans being worth less.

Edited by American Woman

Guest Derek L

Vice President Cheney was the perfect guy to have around when a post 9/11 America needed the biggest prick it could find. Cheney is direct and purposeful in thought and action. One of America's greatest VPs.

Agreed 100%...I’m finding this interview on right now informative....Never knew the entire storey with regards to the “Plame affair”...No wonder Powell is on the defensive, over knowing about the leak by Richard Armitage...I’d be pissed too if I where Cheney & Libby....I wonder why W. didn’t pardon Libby?

Agreed 100%...I’m finding this interview on right now informative....Never knew the entire storey with regards to the “Plame affair”...No wonder Powell is on the defensive, over knowing about the leak by Richard Armitage...I’d be pissed too if I where Cheney & Libby....I wonder why W. didn’t pardon Libby?

It was considered, and Bush did commute Libby's prison sentence, leaving the $250,000 fine intact. Bush could not pardon Libby for perjury and obstruction convictions because of previous rhetoric, and the perception it would present. Recall that Clinton took a lot of heat for gratuitous pardons in his last days as president.

I think I'll read this book over the holiday weekend...then clean my guns!

Guest Derek L
NEW YORK—The publication this week of Dick Cheney’s memoir, In My Time, has revealed the former vice president enjoys a fulfilling life unaffected by any sense of guilt or regret and there’s absolutely nothing any of us can do about it. “This unique look at an otherwise intensely private man’s inner thoughts shows us he couldn’t be prouder of his life’s work and will never feel one single moment of anguish over his actions no matter how desperately we want him to,” book critic James L. Warner writes of the 576-page memoir’s disclosure that Cheney would spend his retirement never second-guessing his advocacy of a disastrous war, the torture of detainees, illegal wiretapping, or tax cuts that created devastating budget deficits and crippled the U.S. economy. “Nothing we do will ever change the fact that this man sleeps very soundly at night and, in fact, looks back fondly upon a long, rewarding career. You almost have to admire that.” The book also reveals that none of the former vice president’s five heart attacks has caused him even the slightest amount of pain.

After watching his first interview with Sean Hannity on Tuesday, Cheney was asked if the rumour was true that after his most recent heart attack that required the installation of a heart pump, if he no longer had a pulse………He laughed and quipped that no, he still has a very slight pulse……

The other storey I heard that made me chuckle was when his wife was asked what she thought about his nickname of Darth Vader……..Her response, she liked it, since she felt it humanized him.

I plan to buy and read his book.........W's was also a good read.

looks like someone in this thread ran with your Onion link! :lol:

I like this one even better: Dick Cheney, the Ultimate American Terrorist

There is so much to remember about Dick Cheney's time in office. There was the Office of Special Plans, which he created to formulate the most effective lies possible about Iraq, WMD, and connections to September 11. There was the torture in Abu Ghraib and elsewhere, which he referred to as "the dark side" and which he championed with great vigor. There was his dismissal of lawfully-issued congressional subpoenas, and his dedication to the idea of a "Unitary Executive" which is beholden to nothing and no one. There was his broad plan to spy on millions of Americans without a warrant, which he wanted to continue even after the whole thing was declared to be illegal. There was (and remains) the program of indefinite detention without due process of law, which was his baby, and there was the coddling of known criminal and double-agent Ahmed Chalabi, who was his pal.

There was all this, and so much more besides, but one incident stands out in my mind above all else. It was only an accent in the symphony of wrongdoing Cheney directed from his office, and was barely noticed at the time, but I will never forget it.

It was a simple thing, really: the National Archives, by dint of two different federal laws, annually collects the official papers of the Executive Branch for the edification of future historians, researchers and government officials. It is a by-rote requirement, one small cog in the wheelworks of government, but not this time.

Dick Cheney said no. No, you cannot have any papers from the office of the Vice President, and for one reason: the office of the Vice President, because I say so, is not part of the Executive Branch.

It deserves to be written twice: Dick Cheney actually claimed, with his bare face hanging out to all the world, that the office of the Vice President is not part of the Executive Branch. The unmitigated gall required to utter such a claim, especially after so much talk about the "Unitary Executive," is unparalleled in modern American history.

There, right there, is everything you need to know about the man. Dick Cheney is the ultimate American terrorist, one who not only lacks respect for American law and government, but who spent his eight years in office actively working to destroy and dismember the functions of that government. He tore the place up, deliberately and with intent, because he hated the law and the government it supported, and we will be a long time recovering from his deeds. He is directly and personally responsible for thousands of deaths and injuries. If this is not terrorism in the raw, then the word has no meaning.

Dick Cheney has blood on his hands, but will remain free for the foreseeable future because the administration that replaced his lacks the honor, integrity and intestinal fortitude to address what he has done. Until such a reckoning is at hand, all I can do is remind Mr. Cheney, and anyone who will listen, of another fact of law that, God willing, will be brought to bear against him someday.

There is no statute of limitations on murder, and murder is exactly what he did.

I think I'm gonna get a Dick Cheney t-shirt. That guy's friggin awesome.

Was watching a documentary on the Katrina response by Bush and Co the other day, pointing out how the higher ups in the Bush administration went blithely on with their fun lives while ignoring the tens of thousands being flooded out in New Orleans. Anyway, five or six days into the flood, when the Bush white house finally realized that they were suffering a public relations problem by basically ignoring it and doing nothing to help, Bush flew over New Orleans and Cheney went in a fancy convoy of shiny cars to visit among the devastated ruins of Mississippi. These two guys clearing out their wrecked house weren't allowed past by MPs blocking the road and had to go way out of their way to get back to their house. They found out why when they came across all those cars parked and realized Dick Cheney was there for a photo op. So they got out and walked over there and one of them shouted "Go fuck yourself Cheney", and just to be sure he'd been heard he shouted it again. He said if it was okay for Cheney to say that to Patrick Leahy on the Senate floor then it was appropriate to use with him there in Mississippi.

...So they got out and walked over there and one of them shouted "Go fuck yourself Cheney", and just to be sure he'd been heard he shouted it again. He said if it was okay for Cheney to say that to Patrick Leahy on the Senate floor then it was appropriate to use with him there in Mississippi.

Got no problem with that...Cheney would welcome such honest and spirited discourse! That's why he has so many supporters of his unabashed style. "Sit down...shut up...and listen". (applause)

Complete nonsense based on zero reality.

Time for school Shady!!

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/61370.html?wlc=1314983203

"Fighting the war on terror is a long-term enterprise that requires long-term, institutional changes," Cheney said. "The challenge to the country has not expired over the last six months. It won't expire any time soon -- and we should not write laws that pretend otherwise."

Included among the provisions Cheney advocated was legal immunity for the telecoms and other firms that have helped the National Security Agency conduct electronic surveillance.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/08/26/us/politics/20110826_CHENEY_MEMOIR.html

Shortly after 9/11, Mr. Bush secretly authorized the National Security Agency to conduct surveillance of phone calls and e-mails that touched United States soil without obtaining warrants. The program was controversial because a 1978 law requires court authorization for surveillance, but Mr. Bush’s legal team said he could override that statute under his wartime powers. Mr. Cheney portrays himself as the architect of the program, saying he asked the questions that led to the N.S.A.’s proposal, and secured Mr. Bush’s approval for it. Mr. Cheney’s counsel, David Addington, carried the authorizing documents in a locked case to officials who had to periodically review and re-approve the program.

Was watching a documentary on the Katrina response by Bush and Co the other day, pointing out how the higher ups in the Bush administration went blithely on with their fun lives while ignoring the tens of thousands being flooded out in New Orleans. Anyway, five or six days into the flood, when the Bush white house finally realized that they were suffering a public relations problem by basically ignoring it and doing nothing to help, Bush flew over New Orleans and Cheney went in a fancy convoy of shiny cars to visit among the devastated ruins of Mississippi. These two guys clearing out their wrecked house weren't allowed past by MPs blocking the road and had to go way out of their way to get back to their house. They found out why when they came across all those cars parked and realized Dick Cheney was there for a photo op. So they got out and walked over there and one of them shouted "Go fuck yourself Cheney", and just to be sure he'd been heard he shouted it again. He said if it was okay for Cheney to say that to Patrick Leahy on the Senate floor then it was appropriate to use with him there in Mississippi.

That must have been a Michael Moore documentary. Because it doens't much resemble reality with no mention of the failures of the mayor and governor of the state refusing to declare a state of emergency until after several days. That's kind of a big deal legally inhibits the federal government from taking any action. It's kind of a big deal. :rolleyes: